Author Topic: Any Parartocarpus venenosa grower in here ?.  (Read 4600 times)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Any Parartocarpus venenosa grower in here ?.
« on: September 25, 2014, 04:09:37 AM »
Pictures of Parartocarpus venenosa fruit.

Moh'd

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Any Parartocarpus venenosa grower in here ?.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 10:07:08 PM »
Don't know it, but notice that third smaller photo is something different from other photos, as the exterior is different. Also species name 'venenosa' not too attractive as it means 'poisonous'.
Oscar

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 10:38:40 PM »
I know it is a close relative of the Artocarpus and I don't think it is supposed to compare with the best members of the genus Artocarpus but it is edible and, I believe, tasty.  Pictures I have seen previously have always been of an irregular looking fruit (kind of like lakoocha) but with the nubby appearance like the rarepalmseeds pic.  Do you have a lead on a seed supplier by any chance?

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 11:06:31 PM »
According to plantlist.org none of the 13 species in that genus have accepted names, so the whole genus parartocarpus seems in question.
http://www.theplantlist.org/1.1/browse/A/Moraceae/Parartocarpus/
Oscar

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 05:32:24 PM »
Don't know it, but notice that third smaller photo is something different from other photos, as the exterior is different. Also species name 'venenosa' not too attractive as it means 'poisonous'.

I found The third picture at rarepalmseeds.com

Parartocarpus venenosus ssp. forbesii

This rare Artocarpus relative superficially resembles A. rigidus, the Pala Munsoh, however, It does not have a uniform fruit like that of A. rigidus, but exhibits folds and creases and is much larger in size. The aril around the seed is a pale orange color with a delightful sweet-sour taste.

http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/pix/ParFor.shtml

Update.

The fruit is edible and cultivated in Papua new Guinea.

http://rfcarchives.org.au/Next/Fruits/Mixed/IndigenousFruitsPNG11-87.htm
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 05:46:45 PM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 06:03:23 PM »
I know it is a close relative of the Artocarpus and I don't think it is supposed to compare with the best members of the genus Artocarpus but it is edible and, I believe, tasty.  Pictures I have seen previously have always been of an irregular looking fruit (kind of like lakoocha) but with the nubby appearance like the rarepalmseeds pic.  Do you have a lead on a seed supplier by any chance?

John

It does look interesting but the fruit quality is still a mystery.I found a supplier for terminalia kaernbachii seeds which is native to new Guinea (thanks to Maryoto). However, I'm Still looking for Parartocarpus venenosa seeds.
Moh'd

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 07:49:49 PM »

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 01:26:20 AM »
Congratulations!  Thanks for posting about it.  I hoped to try it when in Bali but missed the season.  Glad to see your report.

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 04:09:36 AM »
Great to hear that it's an enjoyable fruit. I just transplanted some into larger pots. Look forward to getting them in the ground.
The leaves sure don't look like any artocarpus.

Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 07:23:20 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfEwmJ4DjZa/?hl=en&taken-by=fit_shortie_eats

Found and enjoyed today in Bali

Clarification: not enjoyed by me...I'm not currently in Bali...enjoyed by the travelling fruit couple...

UniqueFruitCollector

• Going to Australia and PNG soon!
    • Germay - Lower Saxony - Zone 7b / Cfb
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 06:54:03 PM »
[...] Also species name 'venenosa' not too attractive as it means 'poisonous'.
Yes, it does mean poisonous. But only the latex found in the tree and unripe fruit. Even so much that it is used to make arrow poison and as an insecticide. :o
The ripe fruit is edible (like breadfruit), the cultivar Parartocarpus venenosus cv. papuanus is locally cultivated in the Philippines for its edible seeds. Info gained from tropical.theferns.info .

Cultivation Details:

A dioecious species!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 06:56:06 PM by UniqueFruitCollector »
- Max

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 10:36:09 AM »
Yes, it does mean poisonous. But only the latex found in the tree and unripe fruit. Even so much that it is used to make arrow poison and as an insecticide. :o

For what it's worth, the scientific name of the common garden tomato means "Nightshade Wolf-Peach"  ;)

There's often a story buried in the scientific names. In the case of tomatoes, lots of Europeans were scared to consume them after they were introduced because of the clear resemblance to the poisonous black nightshade. In Germany and some other areas in Europe, there were also folk stories that connected the consumption of nightshades (and as a consequence, tomatoes) to lycanthropy.  This slowed its acceptance in European cuisine. While introduced to Europe by the Spanish, it was the Italians that led to increasing acceptance of it as a food staple; in Italy there had been a long tradition of consuming Atropa belladonna as an "oral cosmetic" (to make the skin pale, pupils dilate, and reduce the appetite), so this probably increased the ease of accepting tomatoes into the diet.

A bit off topic, but while we're on the topic of "scientific names of edible species that cast aspersions on their edibility..."  ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 10:54:24 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk