Author Topic: Canarium schweinfurthii seeds available  (Read 9141 times)

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
Canarium schweinfurthii seeds available
« on: May 17, 2012, 09:53:33 AM »
Passed the market during my lunch break, and found a handful of fresh Canarium schweinfurthii fruits. This is one of the best fruits in central Uganda, and have a nice olive taste. Not a container tree as it grows to 40+ m.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jegindo/6537328319/#in/set-72157628482393403/
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Canarium schweinfurthii seeds available
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 06:47:53 PM »
Passed the market during my lunch break, and found a handful of fresh Canarium schweinfurthii fruits. This is one of the best fruits in central Uganda, and have a nice olive taste. Not a container tree as it grows to 40+ m.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jegindo/6537328319/#in/set-72157628482393403/

My trees, from seeds from you Soren, are like the Jack and the Beanstalk story, headed for another dimension. They really do get tall! I think i goofed and planted only 2. I think i should have planted at least 3 as they are dioecious.  :'(
Oscar

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 03:09:22 AM »
I remember a photo from Thurston which tells the tale. Btw; I only got one Canarium indicum  :-[
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 03:12:42 AM »
I remember a photo from Thurston which tells the tale. Btw; I only got one Canarium indicum  :-[

Thurston's Canarium schweinfurthii grew faster than mine, not surprising with his hotter climate. Only one C. indicum?? Oh, oh!.  :-\
Oscar

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 03:35:18 AM »
Yes, the odds for fruitset can't get much lower.! You should not by any chance have seeds of it?
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 03:44:34 AM »
Yes, the odds for fruitset can't get much lower.! You should not by any chance have seeds of it?

Never seen galip nut (indicum) over here. Plenty of pili nuts. Pili nut (ovatum) is awesome. Very tasty, and very buttery, top notch nut--rivals macadamias.
Oscar

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 05:32:29 AM »
Oscar - could mail you the last seeds to make it 3+ trees? Will look for more at the market over the weekend.

Here the seeds depulped:

Søren
Kampala, Uganda

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 03:02:43 AM »
OK thanks Soren, i should probably plant 2 more. But now they'll have to play catch up.  :'( :'(
Oscar

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 05:03:55 AM »
All the seeds were mailed yesterday - and they have already been pre-treated. Oscar - how is the growth speed compared to the other Canarium spp. (surely faster than my single C. indicum)?
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 05:28:59 AM »
All the seeds were mailed yesterday - and they have already been pre-treated. Oscar - how is the growth speed compared to the other Canarium spp. (surely faster than my single C. indicum)?

The schweinfurthii seems to be about twice as tall as ovatum (Pili nut) that i planted around the same time. Thanks for sending more seeds.
Oscar

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 02:43:44 AM »
Got a limited number of seeds available for trade.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 05:06:41 AM »
Canarium schweinfurthii are back in season. This is one of the better wild fruits I have tasted and I got a limited number of seeds available for trade.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 04:51:14 AM »
Canarium schweinfurthii are back in season. This is one of the better wild fruits I have tasted and I got a limited number of seeds available for trade.

....back in season again - got just a handful of seeds from this delicious fruit to trade.! Drop me a PM.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Tao2

• temperate south end of planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 07:21:19 AM »
 I've done a few searches but can't find anything on how cold can this Tree handle..........................anyone growing this inside in cooler regions...................?

Sven

• USA, Sounthern California, Jamul, 9B 3000 ft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 10:15:52 AM »
I can’t find any temperatures for it either but I did find a few references saying it is grown to 1000 M (3280 ft).  So it should take some cold, maybe mid to high 20s if I had to guess.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 12:20:31 PM »
I can’t find any temperatures for it either but I did find a few references saying it is grown to 1000 M (3280 ft).  So it should take some cold, maybe mid to high 20s if I had to guess.

1000 meters in deep tropics does not get that cold if you mean Fahrenheit by 20s. I'd say it may go down to approx 7C (I think its around 48F), depending how far from equator you are.

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 03:52:55 PM »
I agree the temperature at altitude depends if it's coastal or inland, island or continent.  Also not sure about the accuracy of the elevations given, but it might be ok as a guideline.  I’ve been trying to find minimum temperatures for a lot of species, but often there is no temperature data but altitudes are given.  I’ve started a list with anything available be it temperature, altitude or zone.  I’ve found a few with temperature and altitude which is what I based my guess above on.  Below are the ones I’ve got so far, temperatures are in Fahrenheit and altitudes are in feet.  I’ve got a lot more looking up to do, but eventually I hope to graph it and get a general idea about temperature limits when only an altitude is given.

Annona   cherimola                   Cherimoya                25   6600
Eugenia   brasiliensis Lam.   Grumichama    26   300 ft Hawaii
Eugenia   uniflora L.                   Surinam Cherry         22   philipines 3000 ft, guatamala 6000 ft
Garcinia   benthamii                                       28   1640
Myrciaria   jaboticaba Berg.                       25           3000
Psidium   longipetiolatum   Araçã-Goiaba    23   2460

Sorry the formating got screwed up so it's a little hard to read.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 03:55:00 PM by Sven »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 11:33:53 PM »
I agree the temperature at altitude depends if it's coastal or inland, island or continent. Also not sure about the accuracy of the elevations given, but it might be ok as a guideline.  I’ve been trying to find minimum temperatures for a lot of species, but often there is no temperature data but altitudes are given.  I’ve started a list with anything available be it temperature, altitude or zone.  I’ve found a few with temperature and altitude which is what I based my guess above on.  Below are the ones I’ve got so far, temperatures are in Fahrenheit and altitudes are in feet.  I’ve got a lot more looking up to do, but eventually I hope to graph it and get a general idea about temperature limits when only an altitude is given.

Eugenia   uniflora L.                   Surinam Cherry         22   philipines 3000 ft, guatamala 6000 ft

Sven, you forgot to factor in latitude. Soren is in Kampala, Uganda, that is almost right at equator. Here at 19N temperature lows at 1000 meters are in low 40's. Right at equator i would guess lows to be mid 50's, so not necessarily as cold tolerant as you might think.
Oscar

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 01:57:00 AM »
I agree the temperature at altitude depends if it's coastal or inland, island or continent. Also not sure about the accuracy of the elevations given, but it might be ok as a guideline.  I’ve been trying to find minimum temperatures for a lot of species, but often there is no temperature data but altitudes are given.  I’ve started a list with anything available be it temperature, altitude or zone.  I’ve found a few with temperature and altitude which is what I based my guess above on.  Below are the ones I’ve got so far, temperatures are in Fahrenheit and altitudes are in feet.  I’ve got a lot more looking up to do, but eventually I hope to graph it and get a general idea about temperature limits when only an altitude is given.

Sven, you forgot to factor in latitude. Soren is in Kampala, Uganda, that is almost right at equator. Here at 19N temperature lows at 1000 meters are in low 40's. Right at equator i would guess lows to be mid 50's, so not necessarily as cold tolerant as you might think.

This Canarium has a fairly large distribution range accross Africa, but as Oscar points out I am on equator but far above sealevel with around 1300m. It never gets cooler than 15c or so though in other areas it might get close to 5c; try and look up which other counties it grows in, and their min. temperature.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 11:23:27 AM »
Thanks guys.  I didn’t realize there was that much variation between latitudes in the tropics.  Tao2, please disregard what I said about high 20’s. 

Soren, do you know how much warmer the lows are at about sea level in your area?  Or how much the temrerature changes as you go to lower or higher elevations?

Anyone know of any webistes that might give one a better understanding of temperature and altitude in the tropics?

From the same site that says this plant extends to 1000 M they list:

Geographic distribution
Native : Angola, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia
Exotic : Indonesia

Looks like Angola (-8-18) and Zambia (-9-18) are the Southern most countries and Mali (10-25) and Sudan (10-22) are the Northern most.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Zambia#Temperature Most of Zambia is at 1000-1300 M and the mean daily minimum temps in the winter are 6-12 C (43-54 F).  Also “Most of the country is frost-free but in some years ground frost occurs. This is restricted to the highest exposed hills, or more widely in the lower humidity areas of the southernmost parts of the country.”