Author Topic: Hardy Hybrids in Raleigh NC  (Read 4582 times)

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
Hardy Hybrids in Raleigh NC
« on: December 16, 2014, 07:16:18 PM »
Here are some photos of very hardy hybrids at the JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh NC. Last winter was pretty brutal (9 degrees F) and these guys came through it without much damage. It certainly didn't stop them from fruiting this year. I've tasted the 'Dunstan' and they work fine as a grapefruit substitute. There is a hint of Poncirus but it is minor. I also have some of these at home in the ground but mine have never fruited.

The first photos and the one with my hand holding a fruit are Poncirus trifoliata x Citrus paradisi 'Dunstan' or Poncirus crossed with grapefruit. There is a close up shot of Poncirus trifoliata x Citrus auranticum or Poncirus crossed with Seville Orange. And then a shot of the two trees side by side.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Hardy Hybrids in Raleigh NC
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 10:14:55 PM »
A pretty tough tree. - Millet

emmajost

• emmajost
    • View Profile
    • gclub
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 04:59:38 AM »

I read a very good post here. Read I was able to use really.

RyanL

• Orange County, NC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 04:02:06 PM »
Interested on how they have held up the cold coming in the next few days. Give us an update when you can.

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 08:35:59 PM »
The arboretum director sent out a photo of their thermometer with a reading of 3 degrees. Everyone I know say they got down to 10. The newspaper said that we dropped a few degrees after sunrise and got to 7. So far my yard looks as damaged as it did last year. I haven't made it over to the arboretum yet, it will take a while to really see how bad the damage is.

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 10:22:03 AM »
I stopped by this morning and all of their trees look fine. One is covered in dead leaves but the stems are still green all the way to the top of the tree. The other two are covered with green stems and leaves but it looks like there are fewer leaves than during the summer. I will take some photos when spring really happens (we are supposed to dip down into the mid 20's tonight). At home I have one Poncirus trifoliata in the ground that is unscathed by winter, it is now in full bloom; two hybrids one of which is older and larger and it now looks dead, the other looks fine but slightly damaged by the past two winters. They are sheltered by my garage so they don't get any of the cold winter wind.