Author Topic: Israel Has Developed Four New Grapefruit Varieties  (Read 2636 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Israel Has Developed Four New Grapefruit Varieties
« on: January 23, 2015, 09:12:31 PM »
Four new types of grapefruit have recently been developed in Israel. The new types are tasty, seedless and PEEL EASILY. These new types of citrus fruit have also been unveiled in Europe, where they were highly praised.

The new citrus types are:
Flamingo
A red grapefruit, which is a hybrid between the "Chandler" grapefruit, the Jaffa orange and a Clementine - which is itself a hybrid between a mandarin and a sweet orange. This kind of grapefruit ripens between the months of October to December. In contrast to the other types it retains its red color even when the temperatures drop. This fruit is sweet and seedless and thanks to its red pigmentation, it also has unique qualities which includes prevention of cancer.

Hanna
A white grapefruit hybrid between "Tahiti" and "Chandler" types. This fruit also ripens between from October to December, is very sweet containing 12.6% sugar and is also seedless.

Einat
A new pink grapefruit. This grapefruit ripens between October and January. The fruit contains 11.5% sugar and is seedless.

Aliza
A grapefruit that peels easily and ripens between the months of November and February. It contains 16% sugar and is seedless. This fruit is very sweet and has the potential to dominate the global market.

Millet
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:15:13 PM by Millet »

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
Re: Israel Has Developed Four New Grapefruit Varieties
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 01:14:41 AM »
This is exciting.

I am a huge fan of grapefruit. Are these varieties being propagated throughout Israel?

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 01:21:06 AM »

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 10:49:30 PM »
So maybe in 25 or so years we will see these in FL. A shame as the Israeli variants of apples do well here, I imagine the citrus would as well.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 01:41:38 PM »
How do these compare to the rio red or star ruby grapefruits in flavor?  These are the best, for my tastes.  If these Israeli one taste like those AND peel easily I'm sold!  Any taste comparisons yet? and cant wait to get one.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 03:26:35 PM »
How do these compare to the rio red or star ruby grapefruits in flavor?  These are the best, for my tastes.  If these Israeli one taste like those AND peel easily I'm sold!  Any taste comparisons yet? and cant wait to get one.

Do they have the Flame Red in Texas?  That is the best of the Reds that I have tasted in Florida.
- Rob

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 05:21:52 PM »
An article with some pictures
http://www.israelagri.com/?CategoryID=496&ArticleID=1045
Omg that Flamingo looks awesome! Any word on when we can get our hands on any of these varieties?

I'm growing a few pomelos in my yard already: Chandler, Tahitian, and valentine. Would love to add more in my yard.

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 06:28:24 PM »
An article with some pictures
http://www.israelagri.com/?CategoryID=496&ArticleID=1045
Omg that Flamingo looks awesome! Any word on when we can get our hands on any of these varieties?

I'm growing a few pomelos in my yard already: Chandler, Tahitian, and valentine. Would love to add more in my yard.

The flamingo picture seems a bit deceptive. They have two different thickness skins in the image. I would much rather have the fruit to the right, than the pomello-like one to the left.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk