Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Cold Hardry Grapefuit/Pommelos

(1/11) > >>

vlan1:
So I tried a Melogold grapefruit for the first time this week and my mind was blown.  I have always been averse to grapefuit due to the outright bitterness but this hybrid has changed my mind. Now I am intent on having a grapefruit and or Pommelo tree in my back yard. I have been trying to find out if any of these varieties are cold hardy in zone 8b. I have not been able to find much concrete evidence but am hoping that some of you have had first hand experience.  The varieties I am looking at are as follows:

Melogold
Oroblanco
Cocktail Grapefruit (Or mandelo as some may call it)
Hirado Butan

I would really like to have at least one red flesh variety so if Hirado Butan is not hardy enough please recommend one that would be.

Thanks!

vlan1:
Don't everyone all chime in at once now..... lol

Tom:
Too cold where you are without lots of cold protection.

vlan1:
Really?  Ive seen some sites list them as being hardy to zone 8b.  Wanted to make sure though. Quite sad to hear that.

Millet:
They might be hardy for a great majority of the year, but as Tom wrote, there will be many nights that the tree will have to be protected, or it will have a good chance of being killed.  If you willing to protect the tree on cold nights, it could have a chance of making it through the winter.  Remember, as the tree grows it becomes harder and harder to give it the proper protection required. - Millet

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version