Author Topic: Best Citrus aurantium (bitter orange)  (Read 2396 times)

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
Best Citrus aurantium (bitter orange)
« on: March 21, 2016, 08:12:52 PM »
Probably this is the least interesting citrus... i mean, even papedas hybrids usually get more recognition than this one.
Aside from the use as rootstock, which this plant performs very well (but right now its use as rootstock is decreasing, because is very tristeza susceptible), and some uses as marmalade, i was wondering if there is any cultivar of this specie which is better than the others for fresh consumption.
Some time ago I had a fruit from a plant that was fairly good, and since the plant is nice, strong, cold tolerant, i was wondering if there are some suggested cultivar for fresh consumption. I understand that this may not be common; i have had some bitter oranges that were completely awful. But looks almost impossible that in the years no tasty clones have been discovered, especially because it is a very ancient specie, and we also got some nice edible clones for fresh consumption even from lemons!
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
Re: Best Citrus aurantium (bitter orange)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 11:59:09 AM »
I have Dolce del Gargano from Tintori.
Last season it had one fruit; not very sour, not much bitter, edible, but I am not much impressed.
Hope it will improve over the years.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
Re: Best Citrus aurantium (bitter orange)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 09:43:47 PM »
Thank you for your answer.
Well, certainly the first year fruit isn't very representative of what a citrus can do, but i feel that you got disappointed.
I have read that the aurantium can show quite a variation between the fruits so i actually hoped for the existence of at least a decent clone... that, is, at least a fair taste without losing the good qualities of the bitter orange (good marmalade, nice cold hardiness).
I have heard that Paraguay bitter orange is decent, and bittersweet of Florida (which is available from Tintori too) should be so similar to Paraguay to the point of being indistinguishable.
I wonder ho much they must be different from Dolce del Gargano. Since everyone of these places was owned by Spaniards at some point in its story... i wonder if...
I guess it's time to pay a visit to Tintori.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.