Author Topic: Flying Dragon Seedlings  (Read 3996 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Flying Dragon Seedlings
« on: April 23, 2016, 10:08:44 PM »
Flying Dragon seed can produce from 0 to 75 percent zygote seedlings. In my case it was 50 percent zygote, and 50 percent nucellar seedlings.
I got 18 trees from seed taken from the fruit.  Exactly 9 of the 18  seedling trees are growing in a very contorted and very dwarf growth habit. The other 9 trees are certainly showing trifoliate caricaturistics, however their growth shows some gnarling but is growing in a much more straight and tall manner.  The zygote seedlings are twice as high as that of the preferred Flying Dragon typical strain. I'll  keep the perfered strain, and toss the the others. - Millet

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
Re: Flying Dragon Seedlings
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 09:46:41 AM »
This characteristic makes for an easy to reproduce true-to-type rootstock, but when you buy online from nurseries it is a somewhat more difficult rootstock to get... this is what happened to me.
A couple of years ago i did buy some FD from an online nursery with the idea to use it to graft some citrus i wanted to remain small.
I got 4 plants, they were nice and fairly priced, but their contorted stem weren't so exaggerated as i hoped; undoubtedly they were FD but, probably the seeds weren't nucellar (or they were nucellar of something that wasn't nucellar in the previous generation).
So, what i wanted to add is that when you want to get FD is better to pick your plant by hand so you can see the quality of the rootstock; especially if you hope for its dwarfing characteristics more than their cold hardiness. 
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 01:09:32 PM »
Very interesting. If I posted a picture could you help differentiate my seedlings? I'll snap some later today.
-Josh

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 04:31:47 PM »
Can someone explain zygote seedlings. Can you show how to differentiate.
My name is Cindy

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 04:36:39 PM »
Can someone explain zygote seedlings.
Zygotic seedlings mean they came about as a result of sexual recombination, and their creation required pollination, either from the same plant or a different one.

When only a single seedling sprouts from a seed, it's much more likely to be a zygotic seedling (in contrast to multiple seedlings sprouting from one seed, in which case only one or none of them are likely to be zygotic).
Zygotic seedlings can display phenotypes different from the parent it came from.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 05:59:37 PM by SoCal2warm »

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 04:49:10 PM »
What does it mean for plants as root stock. I have my 60+ trifoliata seedlings that I dug from around the parent plant.

My name is Cindy

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 05:41:56 PM »
Yuzu is comparable to poncirus as a rootstock in cold hardiness in my area (zone9). It too is a smaller rootstock. It too has thorns. I have several citrus grafted to yuzu. I am not pleased with the speed at which yuzu grows. I have not experienced incompatibility with satsumas, oranges or lemons. I am in the testing/experimental stage of using yuzu as a rootstock. There is probably more knowledge/experience floating around. Lets see if someone will share.

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 06:27:07 PM »
I found a site that explains it very well.
https://ubergardener.com/grow-true-to-type-citrus-from-seed/
My name is Cindy

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 06:44:55 PM »
Will2358, "rootstock" is a term used in the process of grafting. In grafting 2 or more plant parts in the creation of a grafted plant, rootstock refers to the lowest part of such a plant. It constitutes of the roots and the lower stem up to the point of meeting the scion, or interstem in a 3-part graft. In the process of grafting, the upper parts of the plant serving as the rootstock are sacrificed and removed. The scion portion of the completed graft determines most of the fruit characteristics, although the rootstock has a impact on hardiness, brix content, ripening, and other qualities influencing the fruit.

A plant  technically becomes a rootstock only when used for grafting purposes.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 11:55:55 PM »
"Rootstock variety" typically means it doesn't taste very good and is only useful for rootstock, but that term is kind of relative since some of these varieties may be the only thing those in colder climates can grow (unprotected).

murky

• WA state
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 12:12:19 AM »
Yuzu is comparable to poncirus as a rootstock in cold hardiness in my area (zone9). It too is a smaller rootstock. It too has thorns. I have several citrus grafted to yuzu. I am not pleased with the speed at which yuzu grows. I have not experienced incompatibility with satsumas, oranges or lemons. I am in the testing/experimental stage of using yuzu as a rootstock. There is probably more knowledge/experience floating around. Lets see if someone will share.

How fast does yuzu grow compared to Flying Dragon?

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 02:47:48 AM »
How fast does yuzu grow compared to Flying Dragon?
Yuzu is fairly vigorous growing, yet maintains a moderately dwarfed growing habit.