Author Topic: Maha Chanoks smell like turnips!  (Read 23956 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Maha Chanoks smell like turnips!
« on: July 14, 2012, 12:49:59 PM »
A few of us met up at Harry's house yesterday to sample a few more mangos before the mango festival this weekend.

We got to try: Lemon Zest, Maha Chanok, Imam Pasand, Mallika, Okrung, and a few others. The LZ wasn't fully ripe so it wasn't as good as it should have been. The Imam Pasand was probably my favorite of the day. We had a Mallika that was picked yellow from the tree and one that was picked green and ripened for 9 days. More people liked the one that was picked green.

Gerry brought some Lemon Zests and Orange Sherbets but the Orange Sherbets weren't ready yet so we didn't get to try it.

Grover brought peaches he grew in NY

Box of mangos

Orange Sherbert looks a lot different than the LZ

Anyone ever had the 05? It wasn't ready so we didn't get to try it.

We tested the brix on a bunch of the mangos but I forgot to bring distilled water to calibrate it and the numbers seemed to be too high on some of them. The Mallika came in at 24 and the Okrung at 26. I will have to test again once I calibrate it.

Here is a video of Clint cutting open a flattened jackfruit. It grew between the trunk of the tree and other jackfruit.
http://youtu.be/hApCMbiuXEA?hd=1
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 01:01:23 PM by murahilin »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Maha Chanoks smell like turnips!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 01:02:53 PM »
nice "between bean" jackfruit.

the fruits that squeeze between cracks are my favs...my jabos make them consistently...some are just too hard to harvest without hurting fruit or branches.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »
Nice!!! What variety of jack is next to the flat one? It has a nice orange color to it.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 01:52:12 PM »
Nice!!! What variety of jack is next to the flat one? It has a nice orange color to it.

Its a seedling, actually.  Not sure of its exact parentage.  The seed and fruit was given to me by a friend taking a Gourmet Cooking Class at which Brooks Brothers brought some tropical fruits for the participants to try in some dishes.  My friend brougt some of the fruit and seeds to me and I planted one of the heathy, fast growing seedlings out.  I call it Orange Crisp.  This particular fruit was a little past its prime and was the last place fruit eaten at my house yesterday.  Winning the first place ribbon was my seedling from Fairchild Breeding program.....Black Gold x Tabouey.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 06:29:44 PM »
What an amazing event this was.  I had a great time.  Harry did most of the work yet I felt tired just watching the effort.  I managed to snag most of the seeds from the fruits we ate so can supply a more complete list later.  There was probably one I did not get. 

Harry can you confirm the name of the one we did not eat, the dwarf SE Asian variety that I collected seed from the ground for.  Falung?  I also got a few Thai evergreen off the ground.  And the jackfruits, man.  Lovely stuff.  The orange was new to me...overripe but still ok-ish.  The other one was under ripe but very good.  At full ripeness it must be divine.  It was great to meet friends old and now new.

Same time, same place next year?

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 06:53:49 PM »
Nice mango spread! Drooling...
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 08:12:59 PM »
where did the orange sherbet come from ?
- Rob

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 08:20:34 PM »
rob- i purchased the orange sherbets from an undisclosed location in So Fla!
btw- i wont have time for the excalibur tour tomorrow but thanks for the offer
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 10:39:58 PM by pj1881 »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 08:46:18 PM »
rob- i purchased the orange sherbets from an undisclosed location in So Fla!
btw- i wont have time for the excalibur tour tomorrow but thanks for the offer
No problem about tomorrow.  Give me a shout next time yo are down here.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 10:50:51 PM by pj1881 »
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 08:49:40 PM »
Mura - your title to this thread is like a classic Palm Beach Post online story...first off, no explanation on the correlation between Mahachanok and turnips; and second...just what does a turnip smell like??
- Rob

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 08:51:27 PM »
so a few comments of my own.

first, huuuuuuge thank you to King Harry for being, as ever, a most gracious and generous host.
thankyou also to sheehan for, as ever, providing me with endless laughs and some glorious quotes, including "gerry you are like a roach, in a good way".
what was especially hysterical was watching sheehan stomp around harry's yard, as though he owned it, stopping at every second  tree to lop off enormous quantities of foliage (none of which will ever be successfully grafted) . equally funny, was sheehan lecturing no one in particular about nothing in particular, at the top of his voice, while poor harry was trying to gently get a word in about his trees.
you should have seen little sheehan's face when i unfurled not only a lemon zest but also an orange sherbet- his dear little eyes sparkled with glee and he instantly took out his phone and started calling every Trinidadian he knew to share his joyous news, that he was in the presence of an orange sherbet and lemon zest. as sheehan mentioned, the LZ was not good because it was under ripe. I ate another one tonight tht was ripe and it was amazing.

other highlights included sleepdoc shimmying up a jackfruit tree, about 20 feet up to harvest jackfruit. he made bear grills look like an amateur. the 3rd jackfruit we ate was excellent. the first two were meh.
as sheehan said the imam was excellent, as was an angie sleepdoc bought. sleep also bought a delicious Khusan mango and a mystery mango he grafted but does not know the name of. the malikas were also excellent and the nam doc mais were pretty good. harry also provided an biu which was very sweet and pleasant if a little unexciting.

it was really nice to meet Clint (sleepdoc) Kate (Hollywood) and Abeyoumi (Future). Hope top meet up with all of you again soon. 

after swearing i would not buy any trees at the fairchild mango festival, i heard one of the lecturers rave about a wild mango variety called kastoree, which apparetly tastes like lychees. thats like waving a red flag in front of me. i immediately bought a treee and persuaded harry to plant it and act as trustee.

i went to Gary Zill's brother's house where they grow a bunch of mangoes and sell them. the picture sheehan included above of the box of mangoes are the mangoes i bought from there. Mr. Zill was a little grumpy at first but once he saw (from talking to me ) that i knew a little about mangoes he warmed up and when he started talking about pickering he actually became extremly emotional and started choking up with tears (im not exactly sure why).
He had about 20-30 different varities of mangoes for sale, ranging in price from $1.50- $2 a pound, mainly rarer varities and many that have not yet been named. a must- visit for any mango enthusiast.

the mango festival was nice- it was great to meet two of my heroes- Dr. Crane and Dr. Fairchild, and Norris Ledesma is an extremly knowledgable, pretty and enthusiastic mango expert.
the mango tasting at the mango festival was never going to measure up to the tasting we had at King Harry's place the day before, but even going in with low expecations, it was really terrible. about 8 mango varities- none of them rare or exciting, cut up into tic-tac sized pieces so that they were pretty much a tasteless mush. and they charged an extra dollar for admission to the tasting.

there were tons of food vendors. i tasted some incredible mango and key lime pie but never got around to buying any alas.
tons of food stands, all of which were busy all day. (not sure how people had an appetite for gyros in the heat)
dr campbell spoke very well about how the florida mangoes started with the haden and he discussed about 10 varities which he felt were particularly promising.

oh and despite sheehan's mocking, i stand by my assertion that some mangoes have a parsnipy flavor and smell. 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 09:29:56 PM »
Lychee luva,

I thought you posted the same comments for the pretzel tasting thread?
did this thread get merged?

I'm confused.  what did I miss.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 09:32:50 PM »

This post really captures the essence of the day(s).  Excellent hilarious commentary.

I did also wonder, especially if everyone may not have been in earshot or remembered the conversation,, who of the guests of King Harry would catch on to the title...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 09:42:12 PM by Future »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 10:32:53 PM »
Lychee luva,

I thought you posted the same comments for the pretzel tasting thread?
did this thread get merged?

I'm confused.  what did I miss.

You are mixing up the posters.  While murahilin created both threads, lycheeluva was not at my house for that earlier pretzel tasting get together.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 08:36:33 AM »
It smelled like a turnip, but what did it taste like? ???
John

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 08:41:50 AM »
Check out the seed sliding down a river of latex in that Jak  :)  That thing was Sticky !

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 10:48:29 AM »
Harry always puts out a great spread.....we are drooling with jealousy  :-[

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 12:45:24 PM »
I'll second JF's jealousy - that box of mangoes has me losing my mind! My only tree (actually a neighbor's that hangs across the wall into my yard) that has fruit this year has small, sweet, kind of boring fruit. I'm going to have to make a point of going to Florida next summer!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »
It smelled like a turnip, but what did it taste like? ???

This was perhaps the best of my tastings so far this year.  Seems flavors were much more representative.  The Maha was in everyone's top three......Gerry's olfactory hallucination about turnips or parsnips, notwithstanding.

Harry

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 02:34:40 PM »

oh and despite murahilin's mocking, i stand by my assertion that some mangoes have a parsnipy flavor and smell.

I'm sure you mean that in the best possible way.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 02:50:16 PM »
Wow. The Orange sherbet and the LZ look different. I thought they were the same.
Alexi

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 03:10:16 PM »
Wow. The Orange sherbet and the LZ look different. I thought they were the same.

They are definitely not the same. I think it's been explained a few times on both GW and here why they are in fact different.

This post has an explanation: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg0903591217211.html

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 03:21:39 PM »
This was perhaps the best of my tastings so far this year.  Seems flavors were much more representative.  The Maha was in everyone's top three......Gerry's olfactory hallucination about turnips or parsnips, notwithstanding.

Harry

Hey now, it still didn't crack my top 3! The underipe LZ and Imam Pasand tied for top and the Angie 3rd. My taste buds refuse to like the Maha Chanok.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2012, 03:27:44 PM »

Harry

Hey now, it still didn't crack my top 3! The underipe LZ and Imam Pasand tied for top and the Angie 3rd. My taste buds refuse to like the Maha Chanok.
What have you and Jeff been swapping  ;) ;D :P ...an underripe mango beat a ripe Mahachanok??   >:( :o ??? ::) :-[ :'( :blank:
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 03:31:47 PM »
Mura - your title to this thread is like a classic Palm Beach Post online story...first off, no explanation on the correlation between Mahachanok and turnips; and second...just what does a turnip smell like??

I have no idea what a turnip smells like but Gerry with his extraordinary olfactory system was convinced that the Maha Chanok smells like turnips.

first, huuuuuuge thank you to King Harry for being, as ever, a most gracious and generous host.
thankyou also to murahilin for, as ever, providing me with endless laughs and some glorious quotes, including "gerry you are like a roach, in a good way".
what was especially hysterical was watching murahilin stomp around harry's yard, as though he owned it, stopping at every second  tree to lop off enormous quantities of foliage (none of which will ever be successfully grafted) . equally funny, was murahilin lecturing no one in particular about nothing in particular, at the top of his voice, while poor harry was trying to gently get a word in about his trees.
you should have seen little murahilin's face when i unfurled not only a lemon zest but also an orange sherbet- his dear little eyes sparkled with glee and he instantly took out his phone and started calling every Trinidadian he knew to share his joyous news, that he was in the presence of an orange sherbet and lemon zest. as murahilin mentioned, the LZ was not good because it was under ripe. I ate another one tonight tht was ripe and it was amazing.

other highlights included sleepdoc shimmying up a jackfruit tree, about 20 feet up to harvest jackfruit. he made bear grills look like an amateur. the 3rd jackfruit we ate was excellent. the first two were meh.
as murahilin said the imam was excellent, as was an angie sleepdoc bought. sleep also bought a delicious Khusan mango and a mystery mango he grafted but does not know the name of. the malikas were also excellent and the nam doc mais were pretty good. harry also provided an biu which was very sweet and pleasant if a little unexciting.

it was really nice to meet Clint (sleepdoc) Kate (Hollywood) and Abeyoumi (Future). Hope top meet up with all of you again soon. 

after swearing i would not buy any trees at the fairchild mango festival, i heard one of the lecturers rave about a wild mango variety called kastoree, which apparetly tastes like lychees. thats like waving a red flag in front of me. i immediately bought a treee and persuaded harry to plant it and act as trustee.

i went to Gary Zill's brother's house where they grow a bunch of mangoes and sell them. the picture murahilin included above of the box of mangoes are the mangoes i bought from there. Mr. Zill was a little grumpy at first but once he saw (from talking to me ) that i knew a little about mangoes he warmed up and when he started talking about pickering he actually became extremly emotional and started choking up with tears (im not exactly sure why).
He had about 20-30 different varities of mangoes for sale, ranging in price from $1.50- $2 a pound, mainly rarer varities and many that have not yet been named. a must- visit for any mango enthusiast.

the mango festival was nice- it was great to meet two of my heroes- Dr. Crane and Dr. Fairchild, and Norris Ledesma is an extremly knowledgable, pretty and enthusiastic mango expert.
the mango tasting at the mango festival was never going to measure up to the tasting we had at King Harry's place the day before, but even going in with low expecations, it was really terrible. about 8 mango varities- none of them rare or exciting, cut up into tic-tac sized pieces so that they were pretty much a tasteless mush. and they charged an extra dollar for admission to the tasting.

there were tons of food vendors. i tasted some incredible mango and key lime pie but never got around to buying any alas.
tons of food stands, all of which were busy all day. (not sure how people had an appetite for gyros in the heat)
dr campbell spoke very well about how the florida mangoes started with the haden and he discussed about 10 varities which he felt were particularly promising.

oh and despite murahilin's mocking, i stand by my assertion that some mangoes have a parsnipy flavor and smell. 

Very funny Gerry. Lol.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk