Author Topic: Granada Spain Cherimoya farm and festival link up  (Read 2210 times)

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Granada Spain Cherimoya farm and festival link up
« on: September 11, 2016, 05:08:30 PM »
I'm looking for info or fruit farmers to link up with anywhere in Spain. The Granada and Malaga area in particular where they usually hold the annual Cherimoya festival . Any info or boardies in the area have info or want to link up would be awesome!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Granada Spain Cherimoya farm and festival link up
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 07:32:15 PM »
B2B
You might call La Mayora estacion experimental in Malaga Spain. They've send dozens of experimental varieties of cherimoyas to selective growers here in Socal. The SP series I've tried have been mediocre compare to our excellent varieties like Pierce and El Bumpo. Perhaps  fyliu (Fang) can chime in he's involve with the California cherimoya association

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 11:11:01 AM »
Thanks very much for the information JF.
It's a bit of a surprise to never see any forum members from Spain, though Portugal is well represented.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 09:13:24 PM »
It's a bit of a surprise to never see any forum members from Spain, though Portugal is well represented.

We got Felipe from Tenerife and there are other Spaniards from the tropical coast...... I which they would speak up. They are from the land of Fino de Jete, Campas and Pazicas to name a few top tier moyas.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 08:03:47 PM »
Yes, I would like to hear from them too! :)
It looks like La Mayora has some interesting research topics and I might try reaching out to one of the researchers, especially if there is nice experimental plantings to possibly check out. I'm mainly looking to find some other Annona farmers as it looks like the Cherimoya festival is not happening this year.
I joined the CA Cherimoya assoc. a couple years ago and am hoping to hear back from Dario , who might have some connects.
Thanks again JF.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 04:08:14 AM »

We got Felipe from Tenerife and there are other Spaniards from the tropical coast...... I which they would speak up. They are from the land of Fino de Jete, Campas and Pazicas to name a few top tier moyas.

I'm from Gran Canaria, not Tenerife!  >:(   ;D ;D

I'm currently not informed about whats going on in Spanish mainland. Apparently there is a chirimoya festival in October:
http://www.costatropical.net/costaTropical_Fiestas/Fiesta_de_la_Chirimoya.asp

La Mayora has over 150 chirimoya cultivars and I know they are working on the development of new cultivars. I have written emails to several people in the past, but I received not a single reply. Maybe you have more luck...

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 09:39:11 AM »

I'm from Gran Canaria, not Tenerife!  >:(   ;D ;D

I'm currently not informed about whats going on in Spanish mainland. Apparently there is a chirimoya festival in October:
http://www.costatropical.net/costaTropical_Fiestas/Fiesta_de_la_Chirimoya.asp

La Mayora has over 150 chirimoya cultivars and I know they are working on the development of new cultivars. I have written emails to several people in the past, but I received not a single reply. Maybe you have more luck...

Sorry Felipe I get them mix up both isleno and of equal value😀
B2B, you might have a better chance than Felipe. Nino the former chair of CCA has a friendly relationship with the staff and brought over some of these experimental moyas to SoCal.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 11:59:32 AM »
Hopefully JF. Nino is a very cool gentleman and apparently right around the corner from Exotica. I am also hoping to check in with him at his place sometime. So many wonderful farmers worldwide!
Whether or not there is a Spanish festival this year I am sure being in the heartland during harvest will provide some great Annona experience. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk