Author Topic: Fresh coffee for soil  (Read 4867 times)

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Fresh coffee for soil
« on: October 24, 2016, 09:34:29 PM »
Is it alright to drench fresh coffee to the soil(of course cool coffee)?

What are the benefits?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh coffee for soil
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 11:48:20 PM »
Every Friday I go by the local coffee shop and they give me a bag of coffee grounds. Then every 3-4 weeks I pull the filters and place a big scoop around my trees. I initially thought that it was suppose to lower the ph as well as being a mild organic fertilizer. The more I researched it I read that it doesn't lower the ph as much as I hoped. I live in Florida and have white sand for a yard. I constantly add mulch, manure, and coffee grounds to my trees. Maybe in a 1000 years I will have good dirt? I quit using synthetic fertilizer this year. The synthetic fertilizer had 7% chlorine and was burning the leaves and killing some trees. I also have been adding homemade fish emulsion this year and overall my trees are doing good. I also read that tea leaves lower ph better then coffee grounds.
Mike

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 12:02:58 AM »
Thank u for your response, however, i am asking about fresh coffee not coffee grounds. :)

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 12:19:40 AM »
The ph is around 5 for coffee if you use distilled or purified water. I use the grounds to lower my high ph soil. The actual coffee is lower then the grounds and should help you lower the ph more then the grounds.
Mike

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 02:01:33 AM »
The ph is around 5 for coffee if you use distilled or purified water. I use the grounds to lower my high ph soil. The actual coffee is lower then the grounds and should help you lower the ph more then the grounds.
Mike

So its ok to drench with fresh coffee(of course not-so-hot) say for instance blueberries, miracle fruit?

It will not have side effect for the plant/ tree, right?

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 05:39:48 AM »
My pratice:

Add water to the coffee powder (without sugar), milled egg peels and chopped banana peels and mixture all this in a blender (until all components be chopped very well). Then add 2x and 1/2 measure of water more, and irrigate your fruit trees.
Basic proportion: 5 banana peels, 3 tablespoons of coffee powder, 5 egg peels.

How it works:

The shell eggs may be used as a natural fertilizer (calcium source) and to adjust the pH of acidic soils.

The coffee grounds offers various nutrients to the soil and protects (eliminates bacteria and other harmful micro-organisms) and make the plants more produtive. But before putting it in the ground, it is advisable to add a bit of phosphorus (meal of blood and bones and poultry manure) and potassium (animal manure), so she will not steal the nitrogen to decompose, what could create fungi.

The banana peel is rich in phosphorus and potassium, both very important for plant nutrition.

Result:

The vast majority of my fruit trees are in pots, but I have a few in the ground too. All of them accepts well this mixture, with no problems. I have observed that this practice increased the prodution of flowers and fruits.

Hope that helps. ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 05:52:46 AM by Cassio »

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 11:14:58 AM »
Coffee grounds add organic matter, some micros and NPK at about 2-0.3-0.2. Fresh grounds will lower pH, used grounds won't really change pH much.

Actual liquid coffee would probably lower pH a little, and add some nutrients. Overall it seems like an expensive way to lower pH or add nutrients. If you've got some extra coffee in the pot I'd totally dump it around some acid loving plants. I wouldn't specifically brew coffee to add to plants though.
Dom

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 12:22:29 PM »
it shouldnt hurt anything
its just the jiuce from a bean
so, it does add amino acids, minerals etc...
and yes it can lower the PH (coffee itself)

It shouldnt hurt, even if used daily
but, i would keep a close eye on new growth, leaf color etc...
and maybe do it for a few days at a time, then wait a week to see if there are any changes.
(and let the soil dry out obviously)

As far as grounds
i cant say enough about them.
worms love em, and worms aerate the soil, and leaves free fertilizer behind.

i get about 80lb a week from Starbucks, sometimes more.
i sprinkle them on the ground, put in compost piles
and put in my worm bin.

you can wet them down with a mix of fish emulsion, and molasses
then, bacteria and fungi go to work right away
breaking them down into beautiful stuff.
sometimes i mix with dry lawn clippings too.
doing either, you have to make sure its aerobic.
they have to be turned a lot, or bad fungi will take over.
the dry grass seems to keep air in the pile and make it easier to turn.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 11:59:10 PM »
I'm wondering. Does it matter what quality of coffee you use? Is all coffee created equal? Can one use the dollar store coffee and does anyone know if it's treated with any chemicals? If it were, wouldn't it negate any organic benefit of using coffee grounds? Just curious.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 05:06:53 PM »
I'm wondering. Does it matter what quality of coffee you use? Is all coffee created equal? Can one use the dollar store coffee and does anyone know if it's treated with any chemicals? If it were, wouldn't it negate any organic benefit of using coffee grounds? Just curious.

i just checked my   $1 store coffee
and it just said coffee beans and hazelnuts.

Cassio

• View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 09:58:30 AM »
Coffee grounds add organic matter, some micros and NPK at about 2-0.3-0.2. Fresh grounds will lower pH, used grounds won't really change pH much.

Actual liquid coffee would probably lower pH a little, and add some nutrients. Overall it seems like an expensive way to lower pH or add nutrients. If you've got some extra coffee in the pot I'd totally dump it around some acid loving plants. I wouldn't specifically brew coffee to add to plants though.

Dom, in your kitchen you will always have used cofee powder, egg peel and banana peel. Also, you can always beg for free these thingies to your favourite bakery.
You can also ask for free bones to your favorite butcher. Burn the bones and make flour for use as fertilizer as well. ;)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:00:23 AM by Cassio »

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 01:15:35 PM »

Dom, in your kitchen you will always have used cofee powder, egg peel and banana peel. Also, you can always beg for free these thingies to your favourite bakery.
You can also ask for free bones to your favorite butcher. Burn the bones and make flour for use as fertilizer as well. ;)

I wasn't disagreeing with any of what you said Cassio, just with the idea the OP had of using liquid coffee as a soil amendment. It seemed awfully expensive to buy coffee specifically to brew and use as a soil amendment.
Dom

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 07:12:49 PM »
Right. No need to go out of your way if it's not already available. The traditional growers have things figured out pretty well. No need to find exotic things to improve it. If someone says you do, he's probably trying to sell that thing to you. Hipsters also like to come up with these things in conversations to sound smarter than you.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 09:40:51 PM »
Right. No need to go out of your way if it's not already available. The traditional growers have things figured out pretty well. No need to find exotic things to improve it. If someone says you do, he's probably trying to sell that thing to you. Hipsters also like to come up with these things in conversations to sound smarter than you.

Bahahahahahaha!  ;D
Dom

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 11:29:14 PM »
Hahahaha... thank u so much professional growers.

The reason why I ask because I tend to have leftover coffee liquid then I collect them. Now, i was wondering whether it will be beneficial or not. Instead of dumping the extra coffee in the sink. Haha

:)

Cassio

• View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 06:16:05 AM »
Hahahaha... thank u so much professional growers.

The reason why I ask because I tend to have leftover coffee liquid then I collect them. Now, i was wondering whether it will be beneficial or not. Instead of dumping the extra coffee in the sink. Haha

:)
Forgot to mention that I put all my leftover cofee (without suggar) in the mixture too. No problem. ;)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 06:19:05 AM by Cassio »

Cassio

• View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 06:17:07 AM »

Sure, brew cofee just for this, isn´t a good idea. :)

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 07:48:24 AM »
I used to do promotions for a coffee machine and grinder so had plenty grounds and my garden was never happier. Another thing I used to use is rabbit pellets. Man those two in combo had my garden growing so fast!
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 12:59:01 PM »
Caffeine is supposed to inhibit plant growth as well. I remember there's a photo of tomato plants grown in soil vs different amounts of coffee grounds. The higher amount of coffee made it grow slower. The point is it it helps the soil organisms and has nutrients, but don't overdo it.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 02:34:14 PM »
Caffeine is supposed to inhibit plant growth as well. I remember there's a photo of tomato plants grown in soil vs different amounts of coffee grounds. The higher amount of coffee made it grow slower. The point is it it helps the soil organisms and has nutrients, but don't overdo it.
I think a lot of the caffeine is removed from pressure brewed grounds.
I think maybe actual coffee can't be as good as the grounds are.
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2016, 11:34:24 PM »
Maybe you can use caffeine free to be sure?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk