Author Topic: Any good nursery in Kauai, HI?  (Read 2138 times)

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Any good nursery in Kauai, HI?
« on: October 27, 2016, 05:10:40 PM »
I'll be there for a week. What good nurseries or fruit markets any good there?

I plan to buy a tree there & bring with me back in California. Is that possible? If so, whats the process? Thank u

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Any good nursery in Kauai, HI?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 07:36:49 PM »
I met a guy at one of the HTFG conferences who owns Kauai Nursery & Landscaping.  I don't have personal experience with them but I recall he has some interesting stuff -- you can find him here:
www.kauainursery.com/images/fruitbook.pdf

I know that they will ship inter-island but not sure if they will ship to the mainland.  I suspect it would not be a huge deal to handcarry something but you would have to go to ag inspection to get it inspected and then sealed & stamped for your trip to the mainland.  Not sure where ag inspection offices are on HI but it has been a painless experience the times I have gotten inspections on Oahu (years ago) or on Hawaii.

John

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 09:51:38 PM »
I met a guy at one of the HTFG conferences who owns Kauai Nursery & Landscaping.  I don't have personal experience with them but I recall he has some interesting stuff -- you can find him here:
www.kauainursery.com/images/fruitbook.pdf

I know that they will ship inter-island but not sure if they will ship to the mainland.  I suspect it would not be a huge deal to handcarry something but you would have to go to ag inspection to get it inspected and then sealed & stamped for your trip to the mainland.  Not sure where ag inspection offices are on HI but it has been a painless experience the times I have gotten inspections on Oahu (years ago) or on Hawaii.

John

Go online find the Hawaii dept of ag Kauai office and find out when they are actually in the office to take inspections.   If not u might find yourself waiting a long time.  They're at the airport doing commercial export inspections.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 12:46:14 AM »
In order to enter California plants have to be certified for export. That means the plants must be in a sterile medium and the nursery plants have been certified nematode free. So ask at the nursery whether the plants are certified for export. Most nurseries don't do that unless they are shipping plants to California themselves.
Oscar

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 01:56:55 AM »
There is one big nursery KNL (Kauai Nursery and Landscaping). There are several small nurseries, but nothing really big for fruit. http://www.kauainursery.com/  their fruit book can give you a starting idea of what they have, but they have much more than listed and sometimes you have to ask. Leeland is the owner and is a collector. http://www.kauainursery.com/images/Fruitbook.pdf

Visit NTBG (National Tropical Botanical Garden) for lots of fruit trees. There is a garden walk at McBryde Garden, that has maybe 50+ (mostly mango, breadfruit, lychee, banana, canistel, etc) different fruit trees as well as a history of Hawaii.  Allerton garden is pretty nice to see, again mostly ornamental. http://ntbg.org/tours/kauai-south/ This is a huge place, several different tours.

Na Aina Kai is a pretty place. They have a fun playground for kids (kids (<9 yrs old) can easily spend a few hours here. Check the hours on their website. They have a larger garden that is pretty, not a lot in the way of fruit.

Princeville Botanical Garden is also a pretty walk. Mostly ornamental, very little in the way for fruit.

There is a chocolate tour at Banana Joes that maydo fruit tours. Banana Joes has lots of rare tropicals (probably the most rare in a commercial setting). I have not been on the chocolate tour at his place.  Next to banana joes is a mini golf course that is completely gardened with plants. There are tons of things in there, some that I hadn't seen before. Its fun to go through and spot things. http://www.gardenislandchocolate.com/book-a-tour

There is another chocolate tour at Steelgrass farms.  This chocolate tour is a great introduction to tropical fruit as it lets you sample maybe 10-20 things in season. My big gripe is there isn't that much fruit or chocolate for the price (compared to other tours I have tried).

There is a farmers market almost every day of the week somewhere on the island. Search sunshine markets. There are several others that don't fall under the sunshine market's class.  I would visit a couple, because many farmers only show up to 1 or maybe 2. Some of the bigger farmers attend many. https://www.tastingkauai.com/farmers-markets/
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 02:01:22 AM by FrankDrebinOfFruits »

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 03:01:05 PM »
Thank u so much everyone

Im enjoying my stay here.

I hope to meet forum members here in Kauai.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 11:07:11 PM »
Im currently enjoyiing eating these tropical fruits from the farmer's market.

jason (palo alto)

• Sunset zone 17, USDA 10b Pacific Grove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 08:37:54 PM »
I'll be there in December fruit hunting as well. Farmer's markets tend to be the best source on Kauai, not really any established stores with a regular rare fruit supply.
You can often get island grown dragon fruit in the market but it will cost exorbitantly more than you would expect.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk