Author Topic: 12/30/16 Tropicalgrower89's Small Yard Update.  (Read 4302 times)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
12/30/16 Tropicalgrower89's Small Yard Update.
« on: December 30, 2016, 04:22:04 PM »
Viejo Mamey:

Pace Mamey:

Pantin Mamey:

Fernandez Chirimoya and Thai Lessard Sugar Apple:

Unknown banana sold as manzano banana on ebay (weird combo of cavendish and manzano in flavor. Maybe a hybrid.)

Carrie Mango:

Coconut Cream Mango:

Glenn Mango:

Lemon Zest Mango:

Improved Hawaiian Sunrise Solo Papaya Trees (Pickering mango in the second photo):

Ruby Supreme 10-30 Guava:

Hasya and Tikal (largest):

Sapodilla Triangle (smallest is Alano):

Nam Doc Mai #4 Mango:

Overall Yard View:

Mysore Banana:

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 04:28:17 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: 12/30/16 Tropicalgrower89's Small Yard Update.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 05:23:50 PM »
Wow, those are some healthy trees you got there. Definitely some nice soil in your neck of the woods. Surprised the mameys haven't born yet. The pantin is giant.
Jeff  :-)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 05:44:17 PM »
Wow, those are some healthy trees you got there. Definitely some nice soil in your neck of the woods. Surprised the mameys haven't born yet. The pantin is giant.

Thanks! The Pace has a ton of newly forming fruits and some new developing blooms.  It has been 5 years since I have planted it. The Pantin has been in the ground for 4 years and it has outgrown the Pace. The Viejo seems to follow the spreading growth habit according to the IFAS mamey cultivar chart.  It also has some blooms and a few newly developed fruits. Some fruits developed last season on the Pace, but it rejected all of them due to drought stress.  I have fixed the sprinkler system, so I just have the sprinklers on twice a week (if no rain) for 2 hours.  The Viejo seems to be even more precocious than the Pace.  From a small set of flowers, a fruit reached to the size of a key lime before the tree rejected it after a fertilizer application last year(I regretted doing that) and it had only been in the ground for about a year.  I planted it back in 2014 as a 3-gallon tree.  I haven't fertilized them for about a year now and I just give them a good dosage of sequestrene 330 FE twice a year.  Hopefully by keeping them hydrated, they will hold some fruit till maturity.  The Pantin has a handful of tiny pea-sized fruitlets on one of the branches in the top main canopy.  Lets see what happens.  Hopefully, I'll be eating mameys in 2018. lol
Alexi

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 05:49:16 PM »
Yep, I think you're right on the drought stress. Mamey are basically intolerant of drought. My pantin dropped 3/4 of its crop when we had that drought a few weeks ago. I subsequently installed an irrigation system on that lot, and everything has been doing much better since then. I now have pantins the size of oranges on a tree that's only 6 feet tall! Keep them babies watered!

Thanks! The Pace has a ton of newly forming fruits and some new developing blooms.  It has been 5 years since I have planted it. The Pantin has been in the ground for 4 years and it has outgrown the Pace. The Viejo seems to follow the spreading growth habit according to the IFAS mamey cultivar chart.  It also has some blooms and a few newly developed fruits. Some fruits developed last season on the Pace, but it rejected all of them due to drought stress.  I have fixed the sprinkler system, so I just have the sprinklers on twice a week (if no rain) for 2 hours.  The Viejo seems to be even more precocious than the Pace.  From a small set of flowers, a fruit reached to the size of a key lime before the tree rejected it after a fertilizer application last year(I regretted doing that) and it had only been in the ground for about a year.  I planted it back in 2014 as a 3-gallon tree.  I haven't fertilized them for about a year now and I just give them a good dosage of sequestrene 330 FE twice a year.  Hopefully by keeping them hydrated, they will hold some fruit till maturity.  The Pantin has a handful of tiny pea-sized fruitlets on one of the branches in the top main canopy.  Lets see what happens.  Hopefully, I'll be eating mameys in 2018. lol

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 06:06:50 PM »
Yep, I think you're right on the drought stress. Mamey are basically intolerant of drought. My pantin dropped 3/4 of its crop when we had that drought a few weeks ago. I subsequently installed an irrigation system on that lot, and everything has been doing much better since then. I now have pantins the size of oranges on a tree that's only 6 feet tall! Keep them babies watered!

Cool! Guess your Pantin fruits should be ready to eat around July or August of this upcoming year. :)
Alexi

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 07:42:30 PM »
Great job Alexi all your trees have exploded in the last 5 years,

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 08:48:25 PM »
Great job Alexi all your trees have exploded in the last 5 years,

Thanks JF :)
Alexi

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 12:01:21 AM »
Why did you cut back three of your mango trees, Alexi?
John

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 12:29:31 AM »

They were getting too large and began to overtake the other fruit trees that were near them.  The Lemon Zest was getting way too close to the power lines and was beginning to grow over the viejo mamey.  Notice the power line underneath the highest power line (refer to the third pic of the pantin mamey)?  It was just inches away from that.  That's how huge it was. This was the first time I did a major pruning to the Lemon Zest, and now it looks like it will be more bushy.  The Glenn mango was over taking the guava and pickering mango and getting way too close to the pantin mamey.  Some of the tertiary branches of the glenn showed symptoms of mango malformation or Witch's broom, so I eliminated all of the infected and possibly infected wood and just left the main structural branches. I also disinfected the tools I used to trim these diseased branches. It looked naked for a little while, but she is coming back nicely.    My goal was to make the tree  more bushy and prevent the disease from spreading further.    The Coconut Cream was growing into the soursop and had a lot of long skinny branches that were flipped upside down, causing new growth to aim towards the ground.  So, I gave it a good prune for it to become more bushy and less spaghetti-like.  If it wasn't for disease and lack of space, I would leave them alone.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 12:44:53 AM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 01:15:10 AM »
The trees look great! Wish we had that kind of soil in Coral Springs. Always wanted to grow mamey; gave  up after unsuccessfully trying to grow Pantin and Pace.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 01:50:38 AM »
The trees look great! Wish we had that kind of soil in Coral Springs. Always wanted to grow mamey; gave  up after unsuccessfully trying to grow Pantin and Pace.

Thanks! Do you have crushed limestone, aka builder's fill, as your soil?
Alexi

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 08:35:03 AM »

Was your soil not builder's fill to begin with?  Have you used anything to amend it?  My house was built in the 60's so it's not on builder's fill.  I have pure coastal fine sand.
John

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 10:19:56 AM »

Yes, that is what we have in Coral Springs. Terrible soil.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 11:40:49 AM »
Good work. You may have to cut it back a few feet each year (right after harvest).

They were getting too large and began to overtake the other fruit trees that were near them.  The Lemon Zest was getting way too close to the power lines and was beginning to grow over the viejo mamey.  Notice the power line underneath the highest power line (refer to the third pic of the pantin mamey)?  It was just inches away from that.  That's how huge it was. This was the first time I did a major pruning to the Lemon Zest, and now it looks like it will be more bushy.  The Glenn mango was over taking the guava and pickering mango and getting way too close to the pantin mamey.  Some of the tertiary branches of the glenn showed symptoms of mango malformation or Witch's broom, so I eliminated all of the infected and possibly infected wood and just left the main structural branches. I also disinfected the tools I used to trim these diseased branches. It looked naked for a little while, but she is coming back nicely.    My goal was to make the tree  more bushy and prevent the disease from spreading further.    The Coconut Cream was growing into the soursop and had a lot of long skinny branches that were flipped upside down, causing new growth to aim towards the ground.  So, I gave it a good prune for it to become more bushy and less spaghetti-like.  If it wasn't for disease and lack of space, I would leave them alone.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 06:41:42 PM »
Good work. You may have to cut it back a few feet each year (right after harvest).

Thanks. :) I'll probably be cutting back the NDM#4 this year after harvest, since it is pretty close to the chirimoya and the pantin mamey.
Alexi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk