Author Topic: Miami street vendors  (Read 14496 times)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Miami street vendors
« on: August 04, 2012, 09:48:41 PM »
Here's a familiar type of street vendor that you see down in the Miami-Dade County, guys selling Mamoncillo (Spanish Lime) on street corners. This guy in Little Havana was selling small bags for $2. Guess he had to find a way to pay for his smart-phone!  Have also seen them selling oranges and mangos.   

FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Miami street vendors
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 09:52:28 PM »
Here's a familiar type of street vendor that you see down in the Miami-Dade County, guys selling Mamoncillo (Spanish Lime) on street corners. This guy in Little Havana was selling small bags for $2. Guess he had to find a way to pay for his smart-phone!  Have also seen them selling oranges and mangos.   

Cool.  8) Are those fruits being grown in Florida or are they being imported from PR?
Oscar

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 07:14:27 AM »

Cool.  8) Are those fruits being grown in Florida or are they being imported from PR?

Those are no doubt from the Dominican Republic.  There are fruiting trees here but not very common

FloridaGreenMan

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 07:40:09 AM »
I have also seen them selling them in Ft. Lauderdale, on Sunrise east of the flea market.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 08:24:26 AM »
How do you like Spanish Limes?  What do they taste like?
John

DRFixembones

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
    • www.ZacharyDvorkin.com
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 08:37:05 AM »
I live in Miami and see this all the time, strangely enough I've never tried mamoncillio/genep. One of my patients is from Antigua and absolutely loves this fruit..
Zach

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 08:56:58 AM »
I have seen Mamoncillo sold as a snack with salt at bus stops in a vid of Bizarre Foods.

What do they taste like? anything to do with limes or it's just a name?

Thanks for sharing, FloridaGreenMan :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 10:57:13 AM »
In my opinion Genip are similar to Longan except they are very sour and have too little flesh that sticks to the very large seed. To me they are worth eating but certainly not worth growing. 

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 01:11:16 PM »
I'd have to agree with Southwest Rancher. They are good, but not worth the wait fir this fruit. Plus, they are dioecious, so you need to have more than one tree. I have one, about 5 years old, but no telling what sex it is. Not sure I will keep it, though.

The taste is good, but there is so very little pulp, it's just not worth it. Would be for a variety with more pulp, though. Also, the big seed is dangerous for choking, especially kids.

The taste is like a more tart than sweet longan.

Jaime

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 05:03:17 PM »
Steven, the really good cultivars of mamoncillo (aka quenepa) taste great....like a sweet/sour candy. Very tasty! Nothing like a lime. Spanish lime is a terrible name. Really refers to the look of the fruit rather than the taste. They look like little limes. Problem is the pulp sticks very stubbornly to the seed, seed is very large, so pulp to seed ratio is very poor. This is a fruit that needs a whole lot of improvement. With improvement it could certainly equal a longan in quality. Right now in my opinion it's far off from that. The tree is extremely slow growing, and takes a very long time to fruit. And they become giant trees. Most of the fruits sold are from wild trees. I have a couple of trees here and they are not at all happy with our high rainfall. Would probably do great on our dry part of the island. They grow wild in driest parts of PR.
Oscar

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 05:39:37 PM »

Hi,

Selecting cultivars on something that takes 20 years to fruit from seed seems like a multi-generation project. Yikes.

I often look at my quenepa/mamoncillo seedlings, which are about 4 meters tall, hoping to see a flower spike or something, but still no such luck. They are close to 9 years old, so I may still have to wait twice as much, assuming they will ever fruit, here,
 under plastic.  Outside, they barely survive the wet/cold winter.

Talisia sp. / maybe esculenta also seems to take a long time fruiting. It's another lychee distant relative
 with scant flesh and a huge seed; i.e., tasty but frustrating.

Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 05:46:48 PM »

Hi,

Selecting cultivars on something that takes 20 years to fruit from seed seems like a multi-generation project. Yikes.

I often look at my quenepa/mamoncillo seedlings, which are about 4 meters tall, hoping to see a flower spike or something, but still no such luck. They are close to 9 years old, so I may still have to wait twice as much, assuming they will ever fruit, here,

Talisia sp. / maybe esculenta also seems to take a long time fruiting. It's another lychee distant relative

Siafu, the selection processes are done by grafting a lot of mature already existing trees onto rootstock, so doesn't take 20 years. Maybe more like 5 to 10 years max. Not much longer than any other plants take for selecting good cultivars. Now if they could come up with a seedless strain, as has been done with lychee!!! Or at least a strain that is freestone, then this could be a very good fruit.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 06:47:23 PM »
Thanks guy's :)

Mamoncillo sure sounds like a great fruit to eat 8) So, you have to eat alot of fruits, because of the low flesh to seed ratio, That sucks :(
They must be improved varieties in it's native range or maybe even a plantation that has these improved spanish limes...who knows :-\
But, having to wait so long for them to fruit and on top of it, you require both sexes to tango :'( No thanks :o Oscar, hearing they get really huge...the wind here, will definitely do some serious damage to the tree :(

I have also heard of santol being a frustrating fruit to eat because of the flesh sticking to the seed very tenaciously :o
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 06:59:11 PM »

Hi,

Siafu, the selection processes are done by grafting a lot of mature already existing trees onto rootstock, so doesn't take 20 years. Maybe more like 5 to 10 years max. Not much longer than any other plants take for selecting good cultivars. Now if they could come up with a seedless strain, as has been done with lychee!!! Or at least a strain that is freestone, then this could be a very good fruit.

Who wants to send some mamon to China?  ;D

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 07:20:04 PM »
I agree it's a fruit that tastes very good! You don't eat it, but you suck the pulp, as the spanish name says: Mamar = to suck

I also agree it's a fruit with potential, but needs improvement. Yes it is dioecious, but there are also hermafrodite trees. In fact in my area there are some hermafrodite trees. Unfortunately I was not able to marcotting those damn things. And this is the other draback, the propagation. This species is hard to airlayer and harder to graft  >:(

I remember reading that Bryan Brunner was working on a mamoncillo improving project in PR...

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 10:41:21 PM »
I agree it's a fruit that tastes very good! You don't eat it, but you suck the pulp, as the spanish name says: Mamar = to suck

I also agree it's a fruit with potential, but needs improvement. Yes it is dioecious, but there are also hermafrodite trees. In fact in my area there are some hermafrodite trees. Unfortunately I was not able to marcotting those damn things. And this is the other draback, the propagation. This species is hard to airlayer and harder to graft  >:(

I remember reading that Bryan Brunner was working on a mamoncillo improving project in PR...
That is totally subjective cause I feel it is just the opposite.  Not saying that you or anybody else can't or shouldn't like it but I don't feel it has that much potential.  To ME, yo would have to "make" so many changes to it that it would basically be a totally different fruit altogether (it would probably also change some of the characteristics that make it so likable to some).
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 12:19:54 AM »

Mamoncillo sure sounds like a great fruit to eat 8) So, you have to eat alot of fruits, because of the low flesh to seed ratio, That sucks :(
They must be improved varieties in it's native range or maybe even a plantation that has these improved spanish limes...who knows :-\
But, having to wait so long for them to fruit and on top of it, you require both sexes to tango :'( No thanks :o Oscar, hearing they get really huge...the wind here, will definitely do some serious damage to the tree :(

I have also heard of santol being a frustrating fruit to eat because of the flesh sticking to the seed very tenaciously :o

Steven, yes you hit it right on the nail when you said "it sucks" because you do have to suck on mamoncillo and also santol to get the pulp off. I call them lollypop fruits. Santol is super fast growing by comparison.
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 01:28:00 AM »
How many different common names can be used for one fruit in this thread. For someone who didnt know, theyd think we were talking about 6 different fruit. I'm going to add another name, chenette. That's that's they call it in Trinidad. I should add an auto correct to the forum now to change every other name to chenette.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 01:37:05 AM »
This fruit must have more common names than any other. It seems that every single country where it grows it has a different name. Problem is i don't like any of those names!  :(
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 02:17:29 AM »

Steven, yes you hit it right on the nail when you said "it sucks" because you do have to suck on mamoncillo and also santol to get the pulp off. I call them lollypop fruits. Santol is super fast growing by comparison.

Rambai is another one. Its actually a hazzard to your health as the seeds are small and when trying to suck the pulp off the seed it can fly to the back of your throat and get stuck in your air holes. Not at all a glamourous fruit to eat  ;D But totally worth it!

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 02:50:35 AM »
How many different common names can be used for one fruit in this thread. For someone who didnt know, theyd think we were talking about 6 different fruit. I'm going to add another name, chenette. That's that's they call it in Trinidad. I should add an auto correct to the forum now to change every other name to chenette.

Which is really why we should stick to the botanical names in Latin - to avoid any misunderstandings.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 03:39:25 PM »

Oscar,
 Lollypop fruit's ??? is an awesome name for them...lol  ;D I checked a pic, that Mike uploaded of Santol...that tree is freak'n massive :o

Santol - Cape Trib Exotic Fruit Farm
Time is like a river.

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 04:22:47 PM »

Oscar,
 Lollypop fruit's ??? is an awesome name for them...lol  ;D I checked a pic, that Mike uploaded of Santol...that tree is freak'n massive :o

[[/quote]

Don't know if I would call them lollypop fruit, a better fit would be Sour pop fruit. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 04:25:34 PM »

Oscar,

[

Don't know if I would call them lollypop fruit, a better fit would be Sour pop fruit.
[/quote]

The good ones are not sour at all.
Oscar

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 04:47:50 PM »
I must have never had good ones then Oscar. Hopefully I will have a chance to try some soon. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk