Author Topic: Give up on/replace this unproductive Hasya sapodilla? Or stick it out?  (Read 21179 times)

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
It's been 3-4 years of this in ground. It flowers profusely pretty much all year, but to date it has given us ONE fruit - and that was on a branch that semi-snapped (likely due to a squirrel on PCP) so I think it was stressed into fruiting. It seems like quite a few people have issues with Hasya. I'm all for giving trees a chance, but if something like Morena is going to fruit profusely I'm inclined to swap them out at this point. What say you, fellow fruit freaks?

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Yep same here. Mine is 6 years old 12-13'  prune heavy last 3 years to manage size and I've had a grand total of 10 fruits. I have one this year. Meanwhile, Alano, Makok and Silas Woods are breaking branches and producing fruits from April to Nov..

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Haysa was one of the variety I wanted to get, but now it is out. I going to buy morena instead.

mangorific

• USA, FL, Loxahatchee, 10a
    • View Profile
Same. Planted a Hasya in 2013. I've gotten a total of 5 fruit. I tried grafting a couple of other varieties onto it but even that has proved tricky. Very high failure rates. I finally got a Makok scion to take, only to have it die off six months later.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
If it makes you feel any better, I have been planning on pulling mine out as well here in Pt. Charlotte for the last year and this week it will be given away. It is almost 10 ft. and produced zero fruit.  The Molix I put in, located in another area is slightly better in flavor in my opinion than the Morena. The look of the tree is tops and much better looking than the Morena or the Hasya for it has wavy leaves and a more majestic look.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
to make the matters worse, I had another Hasya last year in which the same guy who is taking this Hasya, took the other after I had tossed it to the street.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Hmm That's weird. Are you guys fertilizing your trees?
Jeff  :-)

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
lol  Cookie, stop being yourself and wise up and Go pay attention to your fungicides. And by the way, that's not a pic of you is it?  I always wanted to ask you that?? lol  please tell me nooooooooo way!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
I have more teeth than that. :-)

But seriously, my little hasya seems to be productive. Wondering if it's a pollination or nutritional issue. My tree is in a row of 5 saps and gets well fed and watered.

lol  Cookie, stop being yourself and wise up and Go pay attention to your fungicides. And by the way, that's not a pic of you is it?  I always wanted to ask you that?? lol  please tell me nooooooooo way!

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
I ate a haysa today and it was wonderful. It has 5 more small fruit that won't be ready for a while and it is flowering.
That's 9 fruit in a year from a 3-4 year old tree?
I have the room in my yard and I have 1 haysa 3 silas wood and 1 makok and 1 morena. Also I have three seedlings growing.
My favorite so far taste wise( I have never tasted a morena ) is the makok. I have 2 of those on the counter and they are starting to soften. Of all my trees the Morena is not growing well. I hope it flushes out and recovers. I keep hearing such good things about it. I am giving it extra water now and I had put it on the south side of an oak, maybe the oak is overtaking it? The oak is over 40 years old and it has a natural alcove on the south side where a tree could get plenty of sun but have some protection in case of a really cold night. Have you heard of roots from an old oak strangling out a small tree? Maybe I should dig it up and put it in a new spot? The haysa I ate today had twice as much flesh as any I have ever eaten but those silas wood just keep pumping out the fruit. I just dug up a white mulberry and replaced it with a Thai Everbearing. This was the third year and the fruit was terrible. I plan on digging up a Florida one peach that has been very low production for the fourthyear in a row and replacing with an atemoya. Out with the unproductive in with the ?

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
 Unfortunately nobody here is doing well with Hasya that I know of. Steve from Fruitscapes says the same thing, a total waste.  I actually thought I would do better than down South and Bokeelia  but gall got my first one badly and split the trunk open it was so bad, I actually bought it that way without realizing it . The second one is a gorgeous ornamental tree, stunning and healthy, with no production. Steve recommends Molix over here and always moves SW. Personally it has all the brown sugar flavor you can ask for, IMO 

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
Too funny Cookie! Actually earlier I wanted to ask you a question Cookie since I trust your judgement and your a straight up guy. Which Persimmon have you like the most so far. Wait, sorry, I am hijacking the thread for my own gain. I will P.M you!

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
that means on which persimmons you have liked the best between the three!!! Winterset, South Florida, or Triumph. I know you are growing all of them for many years now. Your knowledge and skill of fertilization or fungicide usage never will be needed however. lol

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
I got around 10 fruit from my hasya tree planted 4 years ago and 3 fruit last year. One weighed in at 1.2 lbs, softball sized. None of my 4 sap trees produced well this year. On a weight basis, hasya was the winner this year.
Brandon

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile

My Hasya has been in the ground five years. Not one fruit off it so far. The tree looks really healthy, and it is currently loaded with flowers. Less than 30 feet from it, I have a Makok that is loaded with fruit.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
:-) Winterset was my favorite, but none of the three ever did well in my yard. South Florida produced heavy crops, but the flesh was pasty. Triumph stayed astringent too long.

that means on which persimmons you have liked the best between the three!!! Winterset, South Florida, or Triumph. I know you are growing all of them for many years now. Your knowledge and skill of fertilization or fungicide usage never will be needed however. lol

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
The more I read about waiting for trees to fruit, the more patient I get.

My Makok is in the ground since 3/2011, has not been pruned gets its share of water and fertilizer and every year it has fruited more, but I'm happy it's everbearing 12 months of the year, maybe only 1 or 2 fruit a week, but that's fine with me. I guess there are some 50 fruits on it now at every stage from just pollinated into a little fruit to picking size.

Anyway saveme, I'd give it another year or two with more water and fertilizer and maybe under plant it with another variety or have one standing by in a pot should you want to yank it later on.

Regards,

Gary

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Instead of pulling it out, u may want try till u succeed on grafting it.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
Figures it would be Winterset Jeff, it's the only one i cannot locate. If anyone has one, please let me know. It has been on my list to get along with the others.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
definitely sounds like a soil situation! I have heard nothing but good about Hudson aka South Florida with its flavor. At least I will find out fast how good it is over here, within 2 years appx

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Could someone please comment on the size of the sapodilla varieties that have been mentioned on this Thread in comparison to the softball sized 'Hasya'?:

'Molix:' Fruits are similar to 'Morena,' and somewhat less productive than 'Morena,' (*)
'Morena:' 'Excellent Flavor and low stone cell count'; 'Excellent Large Size sapodilla' (but generally smaller than 'Hasya'?)...'much better than 'Hasya' in production;' Way more productive than 'Hasya,' (*),
'Alano,'
'Makok,' &
'Silas Woods:' Fruits are on the smaller side. (*)
[Other varieties that may be worthy of comparison to the 'Hasya' are:]
'Prolific,' &
'Excalibur.'

I'm surprised from the outcome of the above brief research, in that I'm starting to think that it might be a really good idea to get a 'Morena' sapodilla variety fruit tree.

I have the 'Hasya' sapodilla variety, and we just took off of it a softball sized fruit; someone today told me it looked like a small Mamey fruit.

The tree is approximately 5 years old, and increasing in production every year, but nothing stellar. Lately, it's been producing about 3-4 fruit per year.

Right now the tree is approximately 25' tall, with about 3-4 fruits of different sizes growing on it.

The early years of growth for some fruit trees can feel daunting, waiting for the tree to establish itself. I am going to wait until the tree reaches a mature size and the roots reach the well water, before I make up my mind and have an opinion on this variety. I plan to compare the fruit quality with the yearly production. Quality sapodilla is something that I really appreciate, so I'm not thinking about the axe yet.

(*): http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=24004.0
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 10:31:27 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
is lack of humidity an issue with pollination with this tree? I have an Alano that's going on it's second year in ground and it flowered last year but none turned into fruit. This year has a ton of flowers too and so far looks like none are turning into fruit  :(  The tree had fruit on it when I first bought it (15gal size 7ft+) pulled them off after planting it in ground.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
is lack of humidity an issue with pollination with this tree? I have an Alano that's going on it's second year in ground and it flowered last year but none turned into fruit. This year has a ton of flowers too and so far looks like none are turning into fruit  :(  The tree had fruit on it when I first bought it (15gal size 7ft+) pulled them off after planting it in ground.

They take a while to establish. Water heavy while they are blooming

Bonakyon

• Guanaja, Honduras. zone 11b
    • View Profile
    • Guanaja Real Estate
I love saps, and agree with those who suggest allowing the tree to mature a little more... meanwhile whatever is eating the leaves maybe contributing to fruit set failure or may in fact be eating the flowers/germinated fruit. Just a thought.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
I've contributed to other threads about this. My Hasya has been flowering heavily for 2 or3 years now, and is a very healthy tree. But I've had I think 4 fruit from it so far. It just finally produced a 5th, and I will wait another 6 months or so to be able to eat it. The fruit was delicious, but what a long wait! I think in my case it's a pollination issue, and I've tried hand pollinating but have not fared much better. It also might be tied to periods of more watering. But it's not like all the flowers drop off. They stay there for months, and no matter what I do to try to pollinate them, they just don't seem to want to set fruit. Maybe it is an age thing. But right now, the idea of a Makok or other variety sitting there loaded with fruit at a young age is certainly tempting.