Author Topic: Durian in US?  (Read 8128 times)

Beeders

• Missouri
    • View Profile
Durian in US?
« on: June 04, 2017, 07:30:42 PM »
Is it possible to get fresh Durian in the United States? If so, where would I find a vendor?
Thanks!

Paraponera

• USA
    • View Profile
Re: Durian in US?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 09:44:44 PM »
Only frozen... stinks too much to ship any distance otherwise o_O
even if someone had an extremely tall greenhouse near you and was willing to sell it would be way out of most people's pay range :/

~ Paraponera
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."

Albert Einstein

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 10:13:59 PM »
Only frozen... stinks too much to ship any distance otherwise o_O
even if someone had an extremely tall greenhouse near you and was willing to sell it would be way out of most people's pay range :/

~ Paraponera

Not sure what you mean about a tall greenhouse and would be out of "price range".
- Rob

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 10:15:10 PM »
I've seen fresh, not frozen Durian at the Asian supermarkets. I don't recall if they have been irradiated or not. They are the Mornthong variety.

Simon

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 11:32:38 PM »
I bought fresh Thai Monthong from this place last time I was out visiting family in California.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/tropical-fruits-san-jose

That wont do you any good in Missouri but it does come into the US. I have durian trees growing from the seeds so that tells me they weren't frozen and at worst lightly irradiated. They had a customs tag on them as well. They were excellent but I have never had fresh dropped durian to compare them to. I even brought a couple home in my suitcase that I checked. I like them when they are more ripe and mushy/creamy than less ripe/firmer if you do find a seller.
-Josh

Beeders

• Missouri
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 10:02:02 AM »
Thank you all for the replies. I'll be in Hawaii soon and hopefully can find a good durian there. Would love to travel to Thailand or Malaysia and get the super fresh durian!

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 01:13:02 AM »
I had the 'Musang King' in Singapore last February and it was pretty good...though, a bit different (as expected). Good luck. Chris
-Chris

manouk

• Australia, Queensland, Cairns, Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 05:11:36 AM »
Is it possible to get fresh Durian in the United States? If so, where would I find a vendor?
Thanks!

http://www.yearofthedurian.com/2016/09/mailing-fresh-durian-hawaii.html !!

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 07:05:58 AM »
Not sure what you mean about a tall greenhouse and would be out of "price range".

Durian trees only grow relatively close to the equator. They cannot grow anywhere else because they need constant warm temperatures. The trees tend to grow very tall, so that's why he was talking about a tall greenhouse because it would be the only way to grow durians in the US. As for the price range, durian is expensive even in the areas where it naturally grows, and even more expensive when imported. The price of a hypothetical "tall green house" grown durian would be so high that people just wouldn't want to buy it.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 07:56:18 AM »

Durian trees only grow relatively close to the equator. They cannot grow anywhere else because they need constant warm temperatures. The trees tend to grow very tall, so that's why he was talking about a tall greenhouse because it would be the only way to grow durians in the US. As for the price range, durian is expensive even in the areas where it naturally grows, and even more expensive when imported. The price of a hypothetical "tall green house" grown durian would be so high that people just wouldn't want to buy it.

Ya think?!  Even a tall or any other greenhouse would not ensure you could fruit.  Take a trip to Fairchild in Miami and see for yourself.

I guarantee that if it was even possible to fruit durian in the continental 48, it would be done...and...when people spend $30 plus dollars on one pineapple,  they would gladly pay a significant dollar amount for a fresh grown durian (it would sure beat the cost of tracelling to PR, Hawaii or a SE Asian country to purchase one.
- Rob

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 03:48:02 PM »
I have about a dozen durian seedlings in pots. My good friend says I should plant them over mango. That those few trees could produce enough income to put my kids through college, compared to the other few hundred trees combined.... I have the holes dug, but mango trees in the ground next to the holes...

Its tough to figure out what to plant, what will  make money in 15 years.  :-\

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 04:19:03 PM »
They are not as equatorial as you may think. I have had a few durians in the last week grown at Kuranda which is 400m altitude at 17 s latitude. It is winter now and the durian season on the adjacent coast ended in March. Most Australian durians at 18 s latitude.

Beeders

• Missouri
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 10:33:41 AM »
I found frozen Durian in a market an hour from where I live. They sell the full fruit and the fruit removed (with seed) from the pod. I sampled the fruit only option and it's pretty good. A little watery when thawing, but it's the best I can do landlocked here. The Asian clerk at the store told me the packed fruit is better than the whole fruit....but I plan to get the whole fruit soon to see what the difference is.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 02:31:29 PM »
You're supposed to eat them before they're completely thawed. Just in case you didn't know already.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 03:35:25 PM »
I just purchased my very first whole durian last week on a whim.  I've been eating the frozen segments in the plastic box for years, and there is absolutely no comparison.  Whole fruit is like a delicious (and incredibly addictive) custard.  OMG, it's sooo good.  I'm never going back! 

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 11:42:02 AM »
i find the vacuum sealed packages to be best tasting, arroy-d or lion brand

Beeders

• Missouri
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 06:09:27 PM »
I let my whole durian thaw too long. It had no taste. Looked good, but bland. I'll try again, but in the meantime, I'll eat the individually wrapped pieces.

KelzKhaos

• Central Florida. 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 09:37:50 PM »
I know Miami fruit . Org is supposed to be getting a shipment of durian in soon. They have it for presale on their site. They're getting it from Thailand I believe.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2017, 06:54:10 AM »
I've purchased a couple of whole durians from Food Town over the past couple of weeks and what's surprising to me is how little they smell.  The taste is good (far less onion than the plastic packed segments) but very little aroma.  They do seem to get more "onion-ey" tho if I don't eat it all immediately.  But that isn't usually a problem.

tanfenton

• United States, FL, Palm City, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2017, 07:23:19 AM »
I'm going to reiterate what KelzKhaos said:

Check https://www.miamifruit.org/products/durian-box . The price will knock your socks off, and I personally don't think any fruit is so enjoyable as to be worth THAT much money. But I know Rane personally, and he does a great job shipping fruit. I don't know of who else could get you an "affordable" quantity to your location in short order.

Good luck!

Nathaniel

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2017, 07:46:56 AM »
Very tempting, but too expensive for my taste. 

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2017, 12:42:14 PM »
Found this at Fairchild earlier today:

kaka

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2017, 03:18:56 PM »
Fresh one are currently in season now.  Can be found in most Vietnamese grocery store for $8-$9 lb and fruit size range 5-10lb.  I just had 2 fresh one in the last couple of weeks and they were so so.  Even when i was living in Vietnam and eating a fresh durian just about every week and it was still a hit or miss on the fruit quality.  Personally the frozen prepackage one from Thailand are really good and fair cheap.  I assume they are picked ripe compare to the unripe fresh one exported to US.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2017, 11:51:51 PM »
If someone purchases a fresh one and want to sell the seeds and mail them I'll be happy 😊 to buy them, Durian Monthong...
El verde es vida!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk