Author Topic: mangosteen or top tier mango  (Read 2345 times)

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
mangosteen or top tier mango
« on: July 03, 2017, 02:19:10 PM »
Which would you choose if you could grow only one ,magosteen or top tier mango? For me it's not hard it would be mango and I'm not alone in this mind set.sweeter more complex flavor of say of zest or ppk ect... Whats your thoughts? it's only opinions

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
Re: mangosteen or top tier mango
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 02:22:01 PM »
Mango. More flesh. I dont think I've tasted a fruit that can top a Sweet Tart or Lemon Zest.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 02:44:11 PM »
How reliable is mangosteen having fruits in your area?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 04:19:42 PM »
Probably mango because mangosteen is extremely difficult to grow in FL. With mango you are guaranteed fruit. With mangosteen, a big maybe and it will probably take you a while to get a tree to fruiting size. That being said, I'm still trying. Mangosteen is a wonderful fruit.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 04:46:10 PM »
Definitely mango.  Mangosteen is OK, but a top quality mango is much better. Also mango is much easier to grow, and has a better fruit/seed ratio, as others have already said.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 06:32:52 PM »
well, if I can grow mangosteen without any issue . Then I would go for mangosteen.  I like the health benefit of it.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 07:45:53 PM »
grow both if you can. mangosteen needs a little shade and protection, so maybe you can plant one somewhere in between and underneath some stuff. Always room for one more garcinia.

Schutzhund

• United States, Los Angeles, CA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 08:03:42 PM »
grow both if you can. mangosteen needs a little shade and protection, so maybe you can plant one somewhere in between and underneath some stuff. Always room for one more garcinia.
Do you grow your Mangosteen outdoors or in a greenhouse?
I'm currently growing mine in a greenhouse and it seems to to like since its pushing out new leaves

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 01:02:52 AM »
I'm currently growing mine in a greenhouse and it seems to to like since its pushing out new leaves

i grow mind in my in-law unit

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 10:07:53 AM »

Growing mangosteen outdoors, in pots for now underneath a jaboticaba tree that gets watered daily. Going to put one in the middle of a shaded and protected spot, surrounded by other plants and backed by a 12 foot wall of surinam cherry.  Not much wind or direct light here, mostly dappled and indirect light. Have a lemon drop and seashore on the exposed sides. The other one am thinking of planting in a different protected area of the yard that is surrounded by taller plants, but that will receive more direct sun. Had considered putting a small greenhouse in this area for the mangosteen, but think it will remain out in the open unless problems occur.