Author Topic: Spots on Pear leaves  (Read 1776 times)

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Spots on Pear leaves
« on: August 23, 2017, 01:06:42 PM »
I have a Hood Pear that has these spots all over the leaves. Seems to not be there with new growth but then quickly spreads to them. No fruit yet, this is its 2nd year in the ground. Leaves hang on despite the spots, and will fall when it goes dormant.

Google hasn't been very illuminating, waiting on the extension service to get back to me. Thoughts?

-Casey

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Spots on Pear leaves
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 07:34:07 PM »
Pears are problematic with these black spots. I've had trouble with fire blight here in NC with apples and pears for years and have removed several pear trees because of it. I've learned to spray my trees religiously every spring with fire blight spray (when flowers and new growth starts )called agrimiacin. It's streptomycin for plants. I've read somewhere that pears tend to get two other leaf spot diseases that are not as devastating as fire blight, and I think yours and mine have this same spot disease. It doesn't seem to harm my trees much and they still produce well. Only thing I worry about with pears is fire blight. Try to do a good spraying regimen next year as new growth comes on in spring with an all purpose disease spray labeled for pear/ fruit trees. If your blooms turn black with pears, you got fire blight and must prune that branch a foot below site of infection and sanitize your pruners with bleach water solution after each cut, and spray tree with streptomycin every week during bloom.

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
Re: Spots on Pear leaves
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 09:27:56 PM »
I have the same on Warren Kieffer  Floridahome and moonglow year after year.. All suffer from the same bacterial,fungal leaf spot . As mentioned above- wont hurt the pear tree as unsightly as it is. Some defoliation usually later in the summer. Spring fireblight more of a concern.