Author Topic: ID of a citrus tree grown from seed  (Read 8089 times)

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
Re: ID of a citrus tree grown from seed
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2017, 04:48:00 AM »
> That does not look like grapefruit or pomelo. Looks like some sort of Citron???
Not at all. The leaves of citrons are not articulated!

Heinrich

• Bavaria, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2017, 05:43:02 AM »
Mistakes happen. The first plant always produced grapefruit-like leaves. The second Minneola always produced elongated leaves with narrow petioles. I was surprised to see the leaves of the second plant to change to more or less grapefruit-like leaves, this season. I have crushed some leaves. The smell of both plants reminds me on Minneola, rather than grapefruit. Most leaves of Minneola in citrus idtools.org are of the elongated type. However, there is also a leaf shown, with a wide petiole.

The second Minneola with different leaf shapes.

BajaJohn

• Mexico, Baja California Sur, Loreto, Hot Desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2017, 01:45:00 PM »
Thanks for the pictures  :)
How old is your tree ? is the new growth hairy ?

As I never saw pictures of the new growth of a grapefruit tree, could you or someone else put a picture, as I would like to see the hairiness of new leaves, to compare with my seedling.
It is probably 4-5 years old now. I didn't plant the seed so I can't be sure. I haven't noticed hairs on any leaves and also noted that the leaves on your seedling differed from my grapefruit (unfortunately, variability even in the same plant adds confusion). Your leaves are more elongate and the petioles on my grapefruit do not overlap the leaves. Heinrich's comments seem to keep minneola in the picture too.
> That does not look like grapefruit or pomelo. Looks like some sort of Citron???
That occurred to me also.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 01:48:05 PM by BajaJohn »

Heinrich

• Bavaria, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 02:43:56 AM »
Are you sure this is a Minneola seedling?
It is good to be skeptical. Especially against oneself. I have checked all my citrus seedlings. There is nothing comparable, which could be Minneola. Now, I am confident that I didnīt mislabel both plants.

Marcin

• Poland, zone 6a
    • View Profile
    • Rośliny cytrusowe w Polsce (Citrus plants in Poland)
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2017, 06:10:36 AM »
Here are better pictures of one leaf, for the size.

Ynk88, your seedling has unique shaped leaves. I think it's not a pure pummelo, but some sort of pummelo hybrid. Some pummelo hybrids still have heart-shaped petioles.

This is one of my pummelo x Ponderosa lemon hybrid seedlings. The petioles aren't as big as these on your plant, but some of them overlap the leaf in a similar way.

And this one has elongated leaves, quite similar to yours, but petioles are smaller and rounded.

If yet another combination had happened, a seedling from this cross could have both overlapping petioles and elongated leaves. Then, I think it would be quite similar to yours.
I'm not saying your seedling is exactly a pummelo x Ponderosa, but who knows. ;)

@edit: changed hosting. Photobucket doesn't work properly.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:05:56 AM by Marcin »

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 07:45:43 PM »
Ichang lemon has large petiole. Ichang lemon is cross with pummelo and ichang papeda. Maybe it's similar to some of those varieties.

Ynk88

• Switzerland, Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 03:33:43 PM »
It is probably 4-5 years old now. I didn't plant the seed so I can't be sure. I haven't noticed hairs on any leaves and also noted that the leaves on your seedling differed from my grapefruit (unfortunately, variability even in the same plant adds confusion). Your leaves are more elongate and the petioles on my grapefruit do not overlap the leaves. Heinrich's comments seem to keep minneola in the picture too.
That occurred to me also.

Thanks for the informations. Let us know when your tree will flower and fruit, it should come soon with your climate  :)

Mistakes happen. The first plant always produced grapefruit-like leaves. The second Minneola always produced elongated leaves with narrow petioles. I was surprised to see the leaves of the second plant to change to more or less grapefruit-like leaves, this season. I have crushed some leaves. The smell of both plants reminds me on Minneola, rather than grapefruit. Most leaves of Minneola in citrus idtools.org are of the elongated type. However, there is also a leaf shown, with a wide petiole.

It's strange to see that leaf shape is turning from elongated to  grapefruit like.
Where your seeds poly or monoembryonic ?

Ynk88, your seedling has unique shaped leaves. I think it's not a pure pummelo, but some sort of pummelo hybrid. Some pummelo hybrids still have heart-shaped petioles.

This is one of my pummelo x Ponderosa lemon hybrid seedlings. The petioles aren't as big as these on your plant, but some of them overlap the leaf in a similar way.

If yet another combination had happened, a seedling from this cross could have both overlapping petioles and elongated leaves. Then, I think it would be quite similar to yours.
I'm not saying your seedling is exactly a pummelo x Ponderosa, but who knows. ;)

I can't look at your pictures, when I click on them it opens a lot of pages and my internet provider blocks the pages.
But from what I see, they are a bit similar in shape.
If mine is a cross, it should be crossed with citruses you can find in citrus orchards, because the seed came from a fruit from the supermarket. But yes, who knows.