Author Topic: Is October 15th too late to graft Mango in Florida  (Read 2815 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Is October 15th too late to graft Mango in Florida
« on: October 14, 2017, 02:32:12 PM »
Night time temperatures are still high and there is at least a couple more weeks of the rainy season.
Several mangoes are flushing.
Does this mean I can still get one round of grafting done?
I will like to make up for what I lost in Irma and the no name rain event from a week ago that flooded my trees for two days.  My mature trees came out OK but newly grafted seedlings did not.

Also, is budwood available this late into the season?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Is October 15th too late to graft Mango in Florida
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 09:59:30 PM »
The general rule is that this is very late to do grafting.  However, it has been warm and the recent storms will probably force some additional vegetative growth because of leaf and limb loss. The best time to graft is when the root stock is in active vegetative growth. So I think it is possible to successfully graft now but you would ordinarily expect a lower success rate. That being said.....I was fortunate to receive some mango scions from Raul in Puerto Vallarta as part of the Secret Santa we did a few years back.  The mail was slow and I received the scions after about two weeks in the mail.  They arrived in good shape and I grafted them onto root stocks that were in pots but had grown large and into the ground.  I am not an expert grafter by any means. Miraculously, I got four out of four to take in December grafting during a warm year.  So, the moral of the story is......give it a try.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 10:40:54 AM »
I've grafted a few Carrie budwood onto a branch on my Glenn tree a couple of weeks back and are now beginning to show signs of growth. One of them even has newly developing leaves. This past Friday I grafted a few more Carrie budwood onto that same Glenn branch and a Pickering budwood onto a Nam Doc Mai #4 fresh growth shoot near the trunk.  I think as long as the night temps stay in the 70's and everything stays in growth mode like it currently is now, those grafts should take also. I agree with Harry. Give it a try.
Alexi

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 12:51:49 AM »
Then try I shall.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 11:59:39 AM »
I took some pics of the grafts. The sprouting grafts were grafted on October 1st. The non sprouted grafts were grafted last week on Friday the 13th.

Carrie Grafts on Glenn Branch:

Pickering Graft onto NDM#4 shoot:

Alexi

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 07:22:43 AM »
Pics are from yesterday.. Grafts were done 2 weeks prior on 10/8. First successful veneer graft onto a tree started from seeds. (Variety grafted- Florigon)

Sergio

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 10:32:57 AM »
I just grafted Corn onto Madam Francis (I'm going for a Haitian cocktail tree) this weekend.  Hopefully they will take.....

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »
Pics are from yesterday.. Grafts were done 2 weeks prior on 10/8. First successful veneer graft onto a tree started from seeds. (Variety grafted- Florigon)

Awesome!  :)
Alexi

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 08:06:03 AM »

Awesome!  :)

Thank You!! I hope the ones that haven't pushed thru yet of yours, take!! 😁
Sergio

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 09:12:59 AM »
A Peach Cobbler that I cleft grafted 14 days ago onto a Sweet Tart is just beginning to push.  I'd say a definite "no" for avocado and citrus now, "yes" to mango depending on where you live.  Being that our night time temps are getting down there I expect most of my trees to go dormant within a few weeks. We're in the 30's in a couple of days.

Nice job on that veneer graft 561MangoFanatic!

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 10:37:26 AM »
I pulled the trigger and grafted, late.

Got the budwood October 24 or 25th cant recall but very fresh, taken in the past day.

The was forecast of a cold night (below 55) on Sunday 29th so I split the batch.

Did a few on the 27th with the intent of waiting until after the cold night to graft the rest.
The forecast was updated for two cold nights.  Preferring to use the scions fresh, I did more in the 28 and then saved the last batch for the 30 and 31st.

By the end of day on the 31st all scions were grafted.

I will wait to see what worked best, fresh wood with a few cold nights or not so fresh wood with warm nights.

I looked this morning and almost all are still green.  One has advanced the bud, opened a little - see picture below, but that could be the energy in the scion.
There are two that I believe may fail, they were in open sun and may be more burnt than anything else, they are turning brown on the exposed side.  I will shade them and see if they come back.

Thanks all for the encouragement.  If this works maybe I will try for November next year, :)  just kidding, I can't wait till spring and doubt I will have any limbs to graft onto after spring.

The one looking most pushed.  Was veneer grafted onto a seedling and covered by clear plastic and placed close to house to minimize impact of cold snap.  Grafted on October 27th.  Two weeks ago. 
By the way, I grafted 2 or 3 scion of the same mango onto each seedling.  1 or two veneer and a cleft.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 05:48:25 PM by Orkine »

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 09:57:47 AM »
A Peach Cobbler that I cleft grafted 14 days ago onto a Sweet Tart is just beginning to push.  I'd say a definite "no" for avocado and citrus now, "yes" to mango depending on where you live.  Being that our night time temps are getting down there I expect most of my trees to go dormant within a few weeks. We're in the 30's in a couple of days.

Nice job on that veneer graft 561MangoFanatic!

(Going to try replying for the 3rd time) Mark in Texas- Congratulations on your Peach Cobbler taking!! When we had those quick cold snaps I tried to take care of the recent grafts I did by covering with plastic poly-bags which seemed to help keep them alive and green -

Noochka1- Good Luck with the Haitian Cocktail tree!! Keep us updated

Orkine- Good Luck also!! I tried doing the same with grafting after the cold. Keep us posted as well!!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 11:32:10 AM by 561MangoFanatic »
Sergio