Author Topic: Jamaican Pineapple Fruit Called Ripley?  (Read 2054 times)

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Jamaican Pineapple Fruit Called Ripley?
« on: December 24, 2017, 06:46:44 PM »
Hi i heard of a pineapple that's called Ripley That's grown in Jamaica i was wondering if anyone is from there can you tell me more about it how it taste how sweet it is. Please let me know Thanks
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaican Pineapple Fruit Called Ripley?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 01:41:35 AM »
Sure , the believe it or not bromeliad.

ronald123

• ronald123
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 05:16:09 AM »
 VERY SWEET, MY FAVOURITE PINEAPPLE. OF A SOFTER CONSISTENCY,  BECAUSE OF THIS IT IS GETTING RARER AS IT DOES NOT SHIP WELL COMPARED TO NEWER VARIETIES. IT ALSO IS A RELATIVELY SMALL FRUIT.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 11:13:58 AM »
‘Ripley’ or ‘Ripley Queen’, ,grown in Queensland, is a dwarf, compact plant with crimson tinge on leaves; takes 22 weeks from flowering to fruit maturity; is an irregular bearer. The fruit weighs 1.36-2.7 kg; is pale-copper externally; flesh is pale-yellow, non-fibrous, very sweet and rich. InFlorida this cultivar tends to produce suckers without fruiting.
http://www.itfnet.org/v1/2016/05/pineapple-common-varieties/
Well, if it's grown in FL, where we can find it to purchase? I would like to have this one in my collection.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 11:16:26 AM »
VERY SWEET, MY FAVOURITE PINEAPPLE. OF A SOFTER CONSISTENCY,  BECAUSE OF THIS IT IS GETTING RARER AS IT DOES NOT SHIP WELL COMPARED TO NEWER VARIETIES. IT ALSO IS A RELATIVELY SMALL FRUIT.
Ronald, do you grow this one? Could you help us to find some slips or crowns?

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 11:26:55 AM »
Yeah that would be awesome if we could get some offsets to grow I will keep searching till I find some. I also have others on my list to find too

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 01:44:37 PM »
‘Ripley’ or ‘Ripley Queen’, ,grown in Queensland, is a dwarf, compact plant with crimson tinge on leaves; takes 22 weeks from flowering to fruit maturity; is an irregular bearer. The fruit weighs 1.36-2.7 kg; is pale-copper externally; flesh is pale-yellow, non-fibrous, very sweet and rich. InFlorida this cultivar tends to produce suckers without fruiting.
http://www.itfnet.org/v1/2016/05/pineapple-common-varieties/
Well, if it's grown in FL, where we can find it to purchase? I would like to have this one in my collection.

I known that the Ripley pineapple was a part of the queen pineapple family i wonder if it could be the same as Queen Victoria pineapple
cause i already grow that and it has crimson tinge on the leaves and produces tons of suckers and I'm from Florida so maybe they could
be the same not really sure

ronald123

• ronald123
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 09:41:52 PM »
As I said they have become rather rare, at least in my area. sometimes we go through an entire season without seeing any being sold. Definitely not in supermarkets as their shelf life is not as good as larger firmer varieties.