Author Topic: Cosavet DF Edge Sulfur for Powdery Mildew  (Read 3742 times)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Cosavet DF Edge Sulfur for Powdery Mildew
« on: December 30, 2017, 11:23:39 AM »
I recently bought Cosavet DF Edge (80 percent sulfur) for spraying my mango trees during cold spells. It is a OMRI listed fungicide-miticide that is water dispersible and flowable. I was able to mix it with water and spray with my 2 gallon sprayer.

Have a question for the experts. How much sulfur is too much sulfur when spraying? Can too much sulfur impact fruit set? The label says 10 to 30 lbs per acre, but that is of no use for growers like us.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Cosavet DF Edge Sulfur for Powdery Mildew
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 12:12:02 AM »
I typically interpret the per acre rate as 100 gallons. I checked the label and it specifies "dilute" application as 100 - 800 gallons per acre and "concentrate" application as 20 - 100. So, I would probably go with the 100 rate.

Try to stay away from tender foliage, especially that of Lemon Zest, as it can burn. Also, try to apply in the evening or during cool weather.

I recently bought Cosavet DF Edge (80 percent sulfur) for spraying my mango trees during cold spells. It is a OMRI listed fungicide-miticide that is water dispersible and flowable. I was able to mix it with water and spray with my 2 gallon sprayer.

Have a question for the experts. How much sulfur is too much sulfur when spraying? Can too much sulfur impact fruit set? The label says 10 to 30 lbs per acre, but that is of no use for growers like us.
Jeff  :-)

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 06:00:42 AM »
I read that wood vinegar can also help stop powdery mildew.

http://seachar.org/archives/1386
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 06:02:32 AM by sunny »

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 08:22:09 AM »
I have a similar product (maybe the same) and the rate is 4 tablespoons per gallon. 
Brandon

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 08:52:37 AM »
I read that wood vinegar can also help stop powdery mildew.

http://seachar.org/archives/1386

Back in the day, I used to use a baking soda solution. It's scientifically backed:

https://scholar.google.is/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=powdery+mildew+bicarbonate&btnG=

There seem to be a lot of things effective (to varying degrees) against powdery mildew.  I haven't had to deal with it in years, though, as my growing is exclusively indoors these days, and powdery mildew doesn't seem to be able to grow indoors (spider mites, on the other hand...)
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 02:33:51 PM »
I have a similar product (maybe the same) and the rate is 4 tablespoons per gallon. 
I typically interpret the per acre rate as 100 gallons. I checked the label and it specifies "dilute" application as 100 - 800 gallons per acre and "concentrate" application as 20 - 100. So, I would probably go with the 100 rate.

Try to stay away from tender foliage, especially that of Lemon Zest, as it can burn. Also, try to apply in the evening or during cool weather.

Thank you!!

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 03:35:28 AM »
Where can I buy Cosavet..?
Www.sailing-charters.org

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 02:29:12 PM »
Should i be spraying sulfur after rain events? For example I sprayed yesterday and now we are expecting rain through Wednesday...Should I spray again after the rain is done in a couple days?
always longing for a JA Julie

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 05:17:23 PM »

I spray copper for rain; anthracnose is whatyou should be worried about when there is rain and copper takes care of that. Sulfur is for powdery mildew, which typically happens during cold weather.

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 05:21:28 PM »
Gotchya thanks! Any issues with alternating sulfur and copper frequently?
always longing for a JA Julie

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 05:59:42 PM »
Should i be spraying sulfur after rain events? For example I sprayed yesterday and now we are expecting rain through Wednesday...Should I spray again after the rain is done in a couple days?
Thanks for the link !
Www.sailing-charters.org

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 01:42:43 PM »

So is the consensus 3tbsp per gallon or 4tbsp per gallon?  Thanks.
- Marley

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 11:14:19 AM »
Recommendations for mangos are usually within the range of 2 1/4 teaspoons Sulfur per gallon, to, 2 Tablespoons Sulfur per gallon.  Higher rates usually show no additional benefit.  The University of Florida rate, since 1978, is 1 1/2 Tablespoons per gallon.

One Tablespoon of Sulfur, plus one Tablespoon of Cueva (Copper Soap), per gallon of spray mix, is an easy formula to remember.  Besides the mild fungicidal effect that the Copper Soap provides (with minimal Copper content), the soap also makes a very nice spreader-sticker.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk