Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: When to Pick Moro Blood Orange?  (Read 296 times)

Dylan SB

• Santa Barbara, CA 9B/10A
    • View Profile
When to Pick Moro Blood Orange?
« on: February 04, 2018, 05:50:40 PM »
I'm trying to figure out when would be the best time to pick Moro Blood orange fruit.  The tree has never produced much and the quality was not very good on the previous fruits.  I think I may have picked them at the wrong time.  I only have about 20 fruit and don't want to waste them picking them too early or too late.  I am in Santa Barbara, CA.  I have an unknown navel orange that is nice and sweet now.

Thanks,

Dylan

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
Re: When to Pick Moro Blood Orange?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 11:50:39 PM »
I had three Cara Cara navel on a small potted plant that I just picked. They had great taste and lots of color. Not blood red but very red for a navel in central Alabama !

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 08:23:02 AM »
On Jan. 18 I had a hard freeze, greenhouse failure, that nailed almost everything but the citrus, so, I harvested stuff like my Moro blood orange. Juiced, gave it away, made marmalade yada yada.  Citrus trees are leafless now.  For me the Moro gets really rich, sweet, and dark come mid to late Feb.  Recently we tried one still hanging and for the first time this particular orange had a VERY spicy flavor, a bit removed from the typical orange flavor.

The skin should show some red and if you have the cold temps the meat should be burgundy at its prime.  Moro is a great orange, don't give up on it.  It took about 5 years for mine to really shine and I wouldn't give it up for any other variety.

Tree is the second one from the left.  I bet we pulled more than 100 from this little tree.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 10:17:06 AM »
Mark sorry for the damage to your plants,   Keep an eye on the trees, as there is a good chance that they will come back.  Do no do any pruning at this time, there is plenty of time to do that .

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 12:22:06 PM »
Mark sorry for the damage to your plants,   Keep an eye on the trees, as there is a good chance that they will come back.  Do no do any pruning at this time, there is plenty of time to do that .

Thanks for the encouragement Millet.  Citrus made it, even the key lime stocky tree with the 3 t-bud varieties I grafted last July look OK with the scratch test.  It's the mangos and avocados I'm worried about.   Am really sick because I think my Sweet Tart and Zill cocktail mango tree are toast.  Had a "priceless" Frankencado with 4 Cali types.  Check out this Holiday which would have been bigger and ready come Sept.

Have spent hours on an alarm system and they're either short range (need 500'), text alert only or outrageously expensive.  Best system is by Monnit but it's $309.  It transmits thru walls up to 3,000'.

"Mother nature is a cruel mistress".

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 12:26:14 PM by Mark in Texas »

Dylan SB

• Santa Barbara, CA 9B/10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 08:28:19 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I went ahead and picked one fruit a couple of days ago.  We have had a very mild winter so far so the coloring was not as nice as it could have been.  As for flavor it was not very sweet.  I will try picking another in a month or so and for now will eat the satsumas while they last and the navel oranges.

Picture of fruit:

Mark what kind of temperatures did your trees see?  Hopefully you will have some sprouts from above your rootstock.

snek

• EU-CZ, Brno, 49N, 16E, 250m, Klima-Zone 6b/7a
    • View Profile
    • http://www.citrusy.estranky.cz/
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 09:51:31 PM »
At my place  (Zone 6b/7a). The most delicious will come to me the first half of January. Although not yet fully colored.

2013-10-27

2016-01-02

2016-02-07

2016-03-01

2017-03-05

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 11:48:41 AM »
I had a Beautiful mature Moro blood orange tree at my house about 10 years ago but I removed it. The problem is at my coastal location the Moro blood orange tree requires more inland heat to ripen and the fruit never fully sweeten up or ripened properly even with a long growing season. Also if the fruit are left on the tree too long they get a unpleasant fermented musty after taste. The overall fruit quality was sub par hence the removal. The Washington Navel tree that replaced it produced excellent quality fruit from a early age and was a much better match at my area.

Johnny
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 11:56:23 AM by Johnny Eat Fruit »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 02:03:59 PM »
Does moro ever get sweet? The ones I've tried are all really tart and the data I've seen say 10% brix and >1% acid.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 02:45:25 PM »
I can not recall eating a sweet moro blood orange. It did have some berry flavors but the fruit never reached the sweetness of a good Mandarin (it was always tart) or did it ever have the balance flavor of the Washington Navel Orange. Fruit production for the Moro was Fair to Fair+ at best even when fully grown. Perhaps other that have grown the Moro at a warmer location than I have had better luck but that tree was a looser for coastal Orange County.

Johnny
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 02:56:26 PM by Johnny Eat Fruit »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 03:33:13 PM »
Moro oranges do not turn red in harm locations.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 09:07:35 AM »
Does moro ever get sweet? The ones I've tried are all really tart and the data I've seen say 10% brix and >1% acid.

My Moro gets real sweet and takes on a fine complex spiciness.  It was not very good until the tree got some age so be patient.  Also I let mine have a lot of hang time.  Come March and they're prime.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers