Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Moving to a warmer country?

(1/6) > >>

Jeppe:
Hi, what wonderful forum that i have stumbled upon!
I am in my early twenties and still haven't really figured life out at all.
One thing i know is that i love tropical fruits, and i really wish i could grow them. I live in Denmark where it gets quite cold in the winter, I've tried growing cantaloupe indoors, but i only got 1 ripe fruit, but it tasted so incredible.

I have been thinking about moving to a hotter climate a lot, I would love to be able to grow mangoes, cantaloup melons and oranges which are my absoulte favourite, do you have any recommendation where i should guide my eyes towards? I think having a concrete goal would help me achieve it.

I'm thinking both in where the fruit will thrive the most, but also where it might be feasible to move to as a foreigner.

Kind regards
Jeppe

cmichael258:
How about Florida?

Triloba Tracker:
Welcome, Jeppe!

Are you looking at European destinations only or are you considering other continents?

Also, mangoes, cantaloupes and oranges have different climate ranges. For example, Cantaloupe grows great here where I am (Tennessee, USA) but mangoes and oranges would not (outdoors).

If you want mangoes you will have to be some place pretty warm. In the USA that would mean mid to southern Florida, parts of California (I believe) south Texas perhaps......I'm not a mango expert. But it would have to be somewhere without frost or at least very rare frost.

I love your enthusiasm and would like to hear more from you!

P.S. I would not be living up to my name if I didn't suggest you try growing Asimina triloba (north american pawpaw). It's a cold-hardy fruit with a definite tropical flavor and texture!!

KarenRei:
Hi Jeppe - greetings from Iceland  :)

It should be pointed out that there's no place you can grow everything. Some plants love humidity, others hate it.  Some need a monsoon climate, others can't stand it.  Some need cool winters or nights, others don't withstand them.  Etc.  And don't even get started on soil requirements! 

From your list, it sounds like a Mediterranean climate would suit you well; no need to move that far from home  :).  Just don't go somewhere that tends to get water shortages.   I'd recommend any of the areas in green, preferably light green here (map of minimum winter temperatures):

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/NWS-NOAA_Europe_Extreme_minimum_temperature_JAN_22_-_28%2C_2017.png

I'd cross-reference with this map, which is the rent per hectare on farmland in Europe:

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/images/e/e8/Weighted_average_value_of_the_rent_per_ha_of_agricultural_land_paid_by_holding_%28EUR_per_ha%29%2C_2006-2008%2C_EUR-27%2C_NUTS_2.png

(In case you were thinking about tropicals in western Norway, remember that you also need enough summer heat for growth  ;)  )

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/NWS-NOAA_Europe_Extreme_maximum_temperature_JUL_5_-_11%2C_2015.png

Do however remember that life is about more than farming. Pick a country whose political and economic situations are one that you're content with. I recommend talking with locals. :)

Triloba Tracker:
Count on Karen for thorough and detailed info, every time  ;D

Until you get to move, you can look for tasty things that might survive in your climate.

That's kind of what I did. I gave up on trying to zone-shift and found temperate relatives to tropical fruits I love: pawpaw (as I mentioned) but also Passiflora incarnata. For me these aren't just temperate, they grow wild here.

They both produce excellent fruits and are way less hassle than zone pushing tropicals.

Based on the maps above, these 2 would totally make it in Denmark.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version