Author Topic: A shovel, wheel barrow and sweat  (Read 1042 times)

ThangBom321

• TX Zone 9b
    • View Profile
A shovel, wheel barrow and sweat
« on: February 09, 2018, 10:00:50 PM »
Wow, I'm tired! My GF are new gardeners and have been bit by the bug pretty hard. I hope we do okay since we spent so much $$ and time on these plants. Anyhow, I made some planter boxes and some herb boxes for our house. Herb boxes are about 23''W x 12''D x 5'' tall. The planter boxes are 3'W x 6'D X 14'' tall and one that is only 12'' tall.

I bought 1 cu. yard of garden dirt and 1 cu. compost mix. It took lots of sweat and work but I got it done. The planter boxes only needed about 1.5 cu yards to fill. I spread some of the left over on the yard to patch the holes and dips.

These are my trees. I have Owari satsuma, Moro blood orange, Lychee, Joey avocado, Lila avocado, Valentine pomelo, Fuyu persimmon, Hachiya persimmon, loquat, pineapple, miracle fruit, Meyor lemon, pomegranate, and newly planted bare root Ozark strawberries.

My GF has pretty much the same plants  but she put the in the front yard.

Thangbom

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: A shovel, wheel barrow and sweat
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 11:26:58 PM »
Great to see, both of you are doing this project together. Happy growing!
Sam

markinnaples

• United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 12:28:41 AM »
That does look like a lot of hard work. You are off to a great start. Are you near Houston? Urban Harvest is a great resource for plant sales and classes: http://urbanharvest.org/fruit-tree-sale

ThangBom321

• TX Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 01:19:56 AM »
Thank for the kind words. Me GF and I are having lots of fun planting. She want to save every seed so she can plant them. It's almost getting out of hand. Yes it was a lot of work. Building the boxes themselves was not bad. I enjoy woodworking. But, moving the 2 truck loads of soil was not fun.

I'm just north of Houston. I just missed their sale. It's okay though. I heard it's a madhouse when the sale starts. People lining up long before anything goes on sale and everyone grabs plants, buying them within the first few hours. One day I will make it to the event. Looks really fun. However, the local nursery (J.R.N.) sells lots of good plants at a decent price. I would sure love to meet some people and learn and steal ideas  from them. I'm thinking of adding some compact mango , avocado (one that taste good) and jackfruit trees if I can find them.

Thangbom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk