Author Topic: Too many male flowers on Sunrise  (Read 3999 times)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Too many male flowers on Sunrise
« on: February 16, 2018, 01:35:43 PM »

I was really happy to see my Sunrise mango tree bloom like never before this year. Unfortunately, it looks like most of the flowers are male and I will end up with just a few fruits. Never seen it that bad on any other variety in my yard. Mahachanok and NDM#4 are great at setting fruit and holding on to them, at least in my yard.

Anyone else notice this with Sunrise?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Too many male flowers on Sunrise
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 04:01:24 PM »
I haven't ever had a problem with production on the sunrise. It's just not as free blooming as I'd like.

Keep in mind that even 1 bb fruit set per 2 panicles is good fruit set on a mango tree. Don't be fooled by mango trees that set dozens of little baby mangoes per panicle, only to abort 95% of them in the spring. The only other path is to produce a huge crop of little 4 ounce mangoes.
Jeff  :-)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 08:31:11 PM »

This is the first year that the tree has flowered heavily for me. I hope the fruit set will be decent,. but the flowers look markedly different from all the other trees in my yard.

I love the fruit, but in 2015, the mangoes from the tree ripened unevenly. I hope that doesn't occur this year.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 08:42:35 PM »
Carrie trees here opened almost exclusively male this year. Awful.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:35:33 PM by Squam256 »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 10:31:31 PM »
Interesting.

I haven't seen the issue with uneven ripening on mine.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 11:23:44 PM »

I noticed this evening that I have the same issue on my Carrie. Flowers almost exclusively male. A friend of mine who lives in Coral Springs told me his tree has the same issue.

The last two years, production on my Carrie was way down, even though I sprayed liberally with copper. And now, this.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 11:28:42 PM »

I noticed this evening that I have the same issue on my Carrie. Flowers almost exclusively male. A friend of mine who lives in Coral Springs told me his tree has the same issue.

The last two years, production on my Carrie was way down, even though I sprayed liberally with copper. And now, this.

It’s been a problem on most Carries for years. This may just be how they respond to hot temps following panicle emergence.

Probably going to topwork most of them this year (10 trees).

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 11:35:35 PM »

That thought crossed my mind too. Three straight years now.. I love the mango, but...

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 01:12:26 AM »
I think there may be a nutritional or tree maturity component to this. My carrie did the same thing for the first 6 to 8 years that it was in ground. I would get somewhere around 1 fruit per 10 or so panicles -- for a pathetic total of about 30 fruits on a tree nearly 20 feet tall and wide.

As of about 3 years ago, the situation totally changed. I now typically get multiple fruits per panicle. That started around the time I began taking care of the tree with consistent fertilization, irrigation, and fungicidal treatment. So I'm not sure if it's related to tree age or better treatment (or both). I currently have a strong fruit set with many bb-sized fruits forming (at least 1/2 dozen per panicle).

My neighbor's tree, which received no care but which was a few years older than mine has always been a strong producer. So it could be that carrie trees simply need some maturity before pumping out prodigious crops. Or perhaps they get better at extracting limited resources as they age? I did notice that the one year she pruned / thinned her tree it responded by producing a small crop, even though the pruning was not that heavy and was done at the right time. Since pruning the tree would obviously deplete it of nutrition with the loss of foliage, it could still point to this being a nutritional issue.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 10:34:34 AM »
Another potential piece to the puzzle here is the fact that my carrie, when it was producing poorly, would always set fruit extremely well on the late (eg, March) blooms. I had theorized that the higher temps of March gave the tree better access to nutrition.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 10:55:38 AM »
Another potential piece to the puzzle here is the fact that my carrie, when it was producing poorly, would always set fruit extremely well on the late (eg, March) blooms. I had theorized that the higher temps of March gave the tree better access to nutrition.

Yes I’ve observed this effect as well actually.

At any rate they are finicky producers even when well cared for (our trees certainly are) and there are more than enough alternatives in the same flavor group that I no longer recommend them to people. Too many drawbacks beyond just the production issues.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 11:01:40 AM »

At any rate they are finicky producers even when well cared for (our trees certainly are) and there are more than enough alternatives in the same flavor group that I no longer recommend them to people. Too many drawbacks beyond just the production issues.

Just curious, what varieties do you recommend for people like myself that love Carrie mangoes?
Alexi

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 11:39:17 AM »

Just curious, what varieties do you recommend for people like myself that love Carrie mangoes?

Angie, J-12/Super Julie, Juliette, and Ugly Betty are all alternatives. The first 3 show the most promise (haven’t seen enough out of Ugly Betty yet).

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 12:02:45 PM »

Angie, J-12/Super Julie, Juliette, and Ugly Betty are all alternatives. The first 3 show the most promise (haven’t seen enough out of Ugly Betty yet).

I have Ugly Betty. The fruit is bigger and better than the Carrie, in my opinion, and it flowers heavily. often thrice during a season. But not a great producer.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 12:04:05 PM »

How big does the Super Julie get? And where can I get a tree?  i have a Juliette in a pot and will plant it soon. Is it a medium vigor tree? How big does it get?

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 12:48:38 PM »

I have Ugly Betty. The fruit is bigger and better than the Carrie, in my opinion, and it flowers heavily. often thrice during a season. But not a great producer.

Yes, Ugly Betty’s production is questionable at this point.

Super Julie is a vigorous grower with an outward spreading canopy. I could see them getting quite large if they aren’t pruned right. They should become available this spring.

Juliette is more medium in vigor, probably a mid-size tree. It couldn’t Fruit for me in Loxahatchee due to anthracnose but seems to fruit well in less-humid Homestead and in West Boynton, and of course thrives in West Palm. It’s basically a late-er season Carrie with smaller fruit but better shelf life.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 04:24:35 PM »
Angie is an excellent mango in the carrie line. But, I would also nominate sunrise as a carrie alternative. That said, there's nothing quite like a carrie.

Super Julie (Fairchild Ruby?) has an overpowering resin component as far as I'm concerned, almost makes me want to toss my tacos (ie, retch). Take away the resin, and it's a good mango. My wife likes it though.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 04:52:56 PM »
Angie is an excellent mango in the carrie line. But, I would also nominate sunrise as a carrie alternative. That said, there's nothing quite like a carrie.

Super Julie (Fairchild Ruby?) has an overpowering resin component as far as I'm concerned, almost makes me want to toss my tacos (ie, retch). Take away the resin, and it's a good mango. My wife likes it though.

I love the Super Julie. It’s become one of my favorite mangos.

Another Carrie alternate I forgot about is Val-Carrie, which also can be a little stronger than Carrie.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 07:24:22 PM »
That makes me wonder if it's tree age then. My tree seems to have switched into strong production mode 3 or 4 years ago. It's currently been in ground for 12 years. Neighbor's tree (which is a few years older than mine) has also been consistently productive for many years.

I can see why it would not be a commercially viable mango though. The ripe to gross window is ultra short, and they bruise if you simply look at them wrong.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 07:28:02 PM »
plus one for val-carrie. It lacks the tart component that carrie has when slightly underripe, but is a little smoother and doesn't turn to cat vomit when fully ripe. It's probably my wife's favorite mango of the couple dozen cultivars we have here.

Another Carrie alternate I forgot about is Val-Carrie, which also can be a little stronger than Carrie.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 08:40:12 PM »
plus one for val-carrie. It lacks the tart component that carrie has when slightly underripe, but is a little smoother and doesn't turn to cat vomit when fully ripe. It's probably my wife's favorite mango of the couple dozen cultivars we have here.

Glad to see fellow Val-Carrie fans here. I love the mango and have always wondered why not many others are raving about it. I have it topworked to my "Glenn"  and it is flowering now. Hope it is productive.

The only minus, if one can call it that, is that it is vigorous and shoots straight up. Have to prune often to keep it under control.