Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

What are absolute best citrus varieties for the backyard?

(1/4) > >>

BonsaiBeast:
I currently have a Valencia orange, Moro blood orange, Cara Cara orange, Satsuma mandarin, and Ruby Red grapefruit.

Are there any specific, lesser-known varieties that stand out? 

I have been reading about new hybrid mandarins coming out that are supposedly phenomenal. I had "Ruby Tango" and I am obsessed with the flavor. It almost doesnt taste like mandarin. More like berries with good tartness and complexity.

fyliu:
These stand out to me each in its own way. Finger limes, Valentine pummelo hybrid, Pixie mandarin, Gold nugget mandarin, Tarocco #7 blood orange, Sumo mandarin, ponkan mandarin, Xie shan satsuma, fukumoto navel orange, Lane navel orange, Vaniglia Sanguigno acidless orange, Pineapple orange, Jincheng orange, kaffir lime, yuzu ichandrin, sudachi ichandrin.

They might interest you or not. Some of these are low acid, so not a lot of complexity to some people.

BonsaiBeast:
Thanks, these are good leads for me.

What would you say has the most acid between the mandarins listed?

Also, is the clemenules mandarin at all interesting?

Millet:
At the Citrus Expos, which are held each year, they frequently have a citrus taste test contest.   Xie Shan (pronounce She Shan) has been the taste winner at every contest that I was present at.   Xie Shan is normally ready to pick in late September/October.  I would also go along with fyliu, in recommending the red fleshed Valentine pummelo, ready on Valentine's day..

BonsaiBeast:
I'm intrigued by this xie Shan. The ucr collection calls it a satsuma.

I have a satsuma that was bought and planted about 6 years ago. It was purchased at a home Depot type store. Any chance it's the same fruit as the xie Shan? Here is the tag.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version