Author Topic: Sugar Cane and Sorghum Cane juicing.  (Read 898 times)

Charlie

• Arkansas USA
    • View Profile
Sugar Cane and Sorghum Cane juicing.
« on: February 22, 2018, 12:17:32 PM »
I just finished reading this old thread on sugarcane juicing and joining the forum and decided it might be best to post a new topic since the other was old and I'm not sure how you all like old topics being woke up.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=827.125

I'm curious if the manual press from GPF is still doing well?

Has anybody ever tried a hydraulic jack press like they use in tincture pressing.  I've seen a few small ones being made and used now on you tube but they are pre-processing or grinding-pulping the fruit prior to pressing.

I don't know why.  It seems anything you put in one of those 5-ton presses would be totally smashed dry.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Sugar Cane and Sorghum Cane juicing.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 07:07:08 AM »
This is an interesting home made small scale device which seems to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHVy7EigDjU

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 12:35:46 PM »
I still have my original manual sugarcane juicer and I still use it very often and I’ve had no issues with it. I would not get a hydraulic press. I’ve never used one before but I’ve seen them in action before and it takes too much prep work and will not be as efficient as a purpose made sugar cane juicer.

If you get a juicer, make sure it has at least three rollers, avoid the squid type juicers with two rollers. When I use my GPF juicer, I get probably 90% of the juice out in the first pass. I get so much juice that sometimes I only do one pass.

Manual juicing with my juicer is very fast, easy and efficient but it does take some muscle work. The juicer I have can be mechanized by adding an electric motor but then I wouldn’t be getting the exercise. If you will be processing a lot of sugarcane at a frequent schedule, I recommend getting an electric juicer like the ones offered by Tubobiz.

I’m a pretty strong guy and it’s a good workout juicing 1 gallon of juice. The most I can physically do by myself in one sitting is 2 gallons and it works up a good sweat. Take into consideration that 1 gallon turns into 2 gallons after you dilute in half with ice or water. My canes are usually between 21-23% sugar and it’s too sweet to drink straight.

If you get a manual juicer, go for the newer model because it is built better and is less rusty. My sugarcane juicer is one of the best investments I’ve made in Tropicalfruit growing. I bring a couple gallons of juice to our Cherimoya/Mango tastings and it’s always a hit.

The cane is sweetest in Winter and the bottom portions of the cane is much sweeter than the top.

Simon

Charlie

• Arkansas USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 09:29:41 PM »
Thank you Simon.  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk