Author Topic: Trouble Growing Lemons Indoors  (Read 1008 times)

Cimmaron

• Montana, USA, Zone 4/5
    • View Profile
Trouble Growing Lemons Indoors
« on: February 22, 2018, 06:59:10 PM »
I bought a Meyer Lemon almost two years ago and still have not figured out how to make the poor tree happy. It will start to leaf out and several times has even had flowers, then the leaves all fall off. I've tried everything from different pots to different soil to different watering schedules. Last spring I repotted it into a cactus mix and it started growing like crazy in my warm south facing window. It looked happy for about three months till I moved and it lost all its leaves again. It is now in a west facing window near a heater, but my house is still cold. I've been spritzing it with a spray bottle since my house is dry. I think I've finally killed it after it hung on for two years. The last leaf has fallen off. About half of the trunk is green and half is brown, but I am still determined to master citrus! Any tips to revive this guy are welcome, I've also ordered a new lemon tree (not Meyer). I will keep trying till I figure it out, but I would really appreciate some help! This tree really has me scratching my head! Experienced gardener, but I've never done well with indoor plants :(

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble Growing Lemons Indoors
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 12:36:57 PM »
If it grows in south window move it back...

Without direct sunlight it is easy to over water

Move it outside and rehab when temps allow

Cimmaron

• Montana, USA, Zone 4/5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 09:28:28 PM »
If it grows in south window move it back...

Without direct sunlight it is easy to over water

Move it outside and rehab when temps allow

I moved and no longer have a south facing window, but it sounds like light is the main problem so I'm looking into a grow light. Even in the summer our nights can get down in the 40's so I've been hesitant to put it outside at all...

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 09:36:29 AM »
Citrus is fine in the 40's. It could have been rootbound and needed up potting when you bought it. Citrus need 8 hours of direct light and monthly fertilization for success. Put it outside in the Sun from May to September. cut off the dead portion and good luck.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 09:43:42 AM »
Had a friend who had issues like this with a tree in a screened in porch.  I suspect over watering was an issue in his case and no pollinators so nothing came of the flowers when the plant did flower.