Author Topic: Meyers Lemon, pale leaves?  (Read 1921 times)

Isaac-1

• western Louisiana zone 8b/9a line
    • View Profile
Meyers Lemon, pale leaves?
« on: March 21, 2018, 11:54:04 PM »
Over the last 2-3 years I have planted six new citrus trees to replace ones that I have lost to freezes over the years, and to augment the variety of citrus I am growing.  Most of these are Satsumas, all are growing in ground on the 8b/9a line in Louisiana, I also have 3 large mature Satsuma trees.  However no matter what I do the leaves on my Meyers lemon are always more pale than any of my other citrus.  I try giving it more fast acting nitrogen, and it greens up some, I try adding epsom salts (soil test show deficiency of Mg, along with just about everything else N,P,K, Cu, only Iron is in normal range in sandy loam soil), I have also tried just feeding it extra 18-9-11 fruit tree fertilizer blend with micros.  Each has made it look somewhat better, with the 18-9-11 fertilizer seeming to overall help the most, though it is still a bit more pale than my other citrus, and it requires frequent (monthly) feeding to keep it this way.  It has grown since being planted, but not nearly as fast as some of the other citrus that were planted at roughly the same time, some of which have went from 2 ft tall to nearly 7 ft tall in under 3 years.

So is this Meyer's just living up to its reputation of being picky and wanting more Nitrogen than other citrus, is there something else I can do, ...?

thanks

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Meyers Lemon, pale leaves?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 07:45:17 AM »
Really need a soil analysis to make an educated guess and what rootstock you're on.  If it's Flying Dragon, that stock has a rep for being a chlorotic nerd, at least for me.   About a month ago I applied Osmocote Indoor/Outdoor to my citrus and the new leaves are some of the best I've seen.

I'd go with this Peters.  It's high performance (powerful), has the 5-1-3 you need and an excellent micro package.  Any time I need to green something up I reach for this one.   Also, Peters S.T.E.M. would help.   https://www.amazon.com/77900-Performance-Fertilizer-25-5-15-25-Pound/dp/B008JSIKCU/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1

My Meyer on Flying Dragon returning from the dead after getting hit with 18F for a few hours.  (heater failure)  Notice the dark green leaves and no chlorosis!  I probably pulled 100 really nice lemons after the January 17 freeze.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 07:46:57 AM by Mark in Texas »

Isaac-1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 08:06:50 AM »
See attached soil test results

p.s. the following were add on test results were

organic content was 1.79%

Aluminum 2.29

Copper 0.30

Iron 81.3

Manganese 5.64

Zinc 0.85

The above sample was taken from the citrus plot after regular fertilizing the last few years, soil from un-fertilized nearby soil showed a Magnesium level of 34.3, otherwise very similar overall to the above.

p.s. root stock is not known on this tree, though it is likely a Citrange, not flying dragon
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 08:22:13 AM by Isaac-1 »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 11:21:04 AM »
Citrus require high levels of nitrogen and potassium, and lesser amounts pf phosphorous. As Mark wrote above, Citrus absorb nutrients in the ratio 5-1-3.  Meaning for every 5 parts nitrogen, the tree will also absorb 1 part of phosphorous and 3 parts potassium.  I also use Peters (Jack's) High Performance Formula 25-5-15 fertilizer, a 5-1-3 ratio fertilizer.  This  fertilizer contains all the needed micro elements  for your tree.  Because the tree is planted in sandy soil, it will require more frequent fertilizing due to the higher level of nutrient loss from leaching. I believe your trees main concern is that it is just being under fed,  Besides the regular feeding, you could also apply a slow release NPK fertilizer such as Osmocote. This will help level out the nutrient highs and lows in between each scheduled fertilizing.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:27:05 AM by Millet »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 11:26:10 AM »
Encapsulated foods are the easiest way to go especially in sandy soils.

Isaac-1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 02:47:52 PM »
Thanks for the replies, as mentioned most of my other 8 in ground citrus trees have very good leaf color, though one exhibited what I think are Magnesium deficiency signs last fall.  It is just this one Meyers that is chronically pale.  I had been using Epsoma Citrus Tone the last couple of years, but switched to locally available commercial fertilizer mentioned above this spring.  I have also added some 14-14-14 Osmocote  to the Meyers about a month or so ago.  I will continue feeding, regularly with this new combination and see if things clear up.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 07:57:10 AM »
Thanks for the replies, as mentioned most of my other 8 in ground citrus trees have very good leaf color, though one exhibited what I think are Magnesium deficiency signs last fall.  It is just this one Meyers that is chronically pale.  I had been using Epsoma Citrus Tone the last couple of years, but switched to locally available commercial fertilizer mentioned above this spring.  I have also added some 14-14-14 Osmocote  to the Meyers about a month or so ago.  I will continue feeding, regularly with this new combination and see if things clear up.

My favorite micro spray and drench is Keyplex 350DP.  It will always be in my toolbox.