Author Topic: Wanted: Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa)  (Read 1278 times)

koewert18

• Broward County, Florida
    • View Profile
Wanted: Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa)
« on: March 24, 2018, 11:12:48 PM »
Hey everyone!

My name is Jacob Ewert, I am a senior at South Plantation High School in Plantation, Florida. I have been reading about growing cacao and the whole chocolate making process and have become interested in trying to grow my own cacao tree.

I read that you should sprout cacao seeds fresh from the fruit, but I have had much trouble trying to find a moderately priced cacao pod I can purchase. I have started looking for individuals who may be able to help me. I live in Broward County and wanted to know if anyone on here would be willing to donate or sell a cacao pod or a few seeds.

Thank you!!

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 11:43:20 AM »
Jacob, You can pick up a 3 gallon tree from benders nursery in Davie for like $35.00... plenty of other nurseries in Broward have them... Wild Flamingo just do a quick google search for local nurseries... A grafted tree will give you fruit with a few years as a seed grown tree may wait 5+ years to fruit or longer
                     Good luck and welcomer to the forum

Joe

bbudd

• thailand,chiang rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 09:17:53 PM »
I grow both Forastero and Criollo cocoa
Seeing as Trinatero is a cross of these 2 types in all likelihood the fruit will naturally cross pollinate
Just PM me if your interested in seed

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 12:10:37 AM »
There is an ebay seller that often has them in Fort Lauderdale, she goes by zone10tropical

I bought some from her about a year ago.  They were a bit root bound, but are doing OK.  I can't speak for her, but she might give you a good deal, all considered.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Plant-24-TALL-Theobroma-CRIOLLO-Cacao-Cocoa-Chocolate-Tropical-Fruit-Tree/161939483652?hash=item25b4586c04:g:7HUAAOSwX~dWl7tP

Also, I know Spykes Nursery has some from time to time.  They are in Davie.  954-583-1987

Good luck!
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk