Author Topic: EZ-Flow Fertilizer Injector System for your yard  (Read 6121 times)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
EZ-Flow Fertilizer Injector System for your yard
« on: April 18, 2018, 02:18:34 PM »
Besides several tropical fruit trees, I have flowers and grow vegetables. Majority of my system is Drip, while I have sprinklers in some portion of my yard that is lawn.  On drips, biggest challenge is fertilizing, specially in Southern California where it does not rain much except winter time.

I just ordered 2.5 Gal EZ-Flow Fertilizer Injector System. My plan is to install this in my main line after the backflow preventor. and then fertilize my zones according to my needs. I have about 19 zones, and have Rachio automatic controllers where I can pretty much set however I like on my phone. Goal is to deliver fertilizer (liquid) directly via drips when I need and when I dont I can simply shutoff the unit.

Has anyone else used this or is using this? https://youtu.be/eEgnu712YGM
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 03:39:22 PM by behlgarden »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
Re: EZ-Flow Fertilizer Injector System for your yard
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 03:35:30 PM »
Hmmm, looks like no one here!

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 11:01:55 PM »
Is this a fertigation system? Easy to install?

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 11:03:22 PM »
No, duh

I just saw the video

Fertigation it is. I’ll ask my landscape guy what system he has in mind

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 09:39:21 AM »
I know a guy who grew up in Israel and farmed there. So he has drip irrigation in his blood years before he came to Florida. Israelis being the pioneers in drip irrigation.

He bought some fruit trees and mangoes from me. He has land in upstate Florida in Frostproof (a town) with lychee and mamey and some others. I have eaten his lychees and even sold them to local lychee hounds. He uses zero mulch and the soil is as porous and sandy as most Florida soils. So zero or nearly zero organic matter is in the soil. He uses fertigation plus also uses fertilizer you spread on top. The fruit trees do well.

So you can go this way and others have called it a form of hydroponic gardening as a joke. But this is true. The soil is adding a minimum to his fruit trees nutrition. The soil is there to merely hold his fruit trees upright.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:44:00 AM by zands »

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 11:56:35 AM »
My concern is adding anything more to the water that might increase the chance of clogging the emitters.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 12:47:30 PM »
I looked into it and my plan is to use liquid ferts only. Make my own NPK strength concussion and use accordingly. Another way is to use 100% water soluble fert, and premix worth water using mortar mixer, then strain the mix into the tank. Those using it have good reviews. On drips, it is very hard to fertilize in CA due to drought weather. I will have my system up and running in 3 weeks. Will report results in 6 weeks. Having over 500 fruit trees, plants, shrubs on drips is hard to fertilize.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 01:01:07 PM »
You can get liquid humic acid concentrate I think.  That would be a good addition to your fertilizer.  I think it's a lot cheaper to blend your own fertilizer vs buying liquid ferts, the problem is getting all the micro nutrients in there.  Urea and other base fertilizers disolve really quick in water so that will not be a problem. 
Brad Spaugh

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 03:30:33 PM »
I eventually plan on adding this into my drip irrigation as well.
Let us know how it does. And how long does the liquid fertilizer last on the lowest setting.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 05:08:36 PM »
I have fish emulsion, seaweed extract, 50 phophorous liquid that is highly concentrated. Will add liquid potassium and nitrogen. There are lots of things that can be done. Ii will look for more.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 08:22:18 PM »
Fish emulsion in there is going to be awesome.  That stuff rocks.
Brad Spaugh

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 10:45:47 PM »
Does the tank have a bladder to keep the fertilizer separate or does the fertilizer get diluted by the incoming water line as it gets pushed into the stream?

When I do this, I will probably use a venturi injector. For a 1 inch line it was around $150 plus the cost of a tank.
Brandon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 01:15:08 AM »
Does the tank have a bladder to keep the fertilizer separate or does the fertilizer get diluted by the incoming water line as it gets pushed into the stream?

When I do this, I will probably use a venturi injector. For a 1 inch line it was around $150 plus the cost of a tank.

there is setting on tank that can dilute as you want. best is to go slowest setting so tank can last 30-days of watering while giving small dose on each watering. On days when I want to hit high dose to say my mangoes OR nitrogen only to my lawn, I can run sprinkler for lawn on stand alone and then shut off the unit. its pretty slick. Hope it works as the manufacturer says. regardless, it will be better than having no way for me to fertilizer my 400 shrubs/flowers/plants that are on drip that is buried. some dose of organic ferts will be awesome. Tank I got is 2.5 Gal tank and it has doses highlighted.

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 07:52:18 AM »
My point is that on day 1 the strength of fertilizer in the tank is 100% but on day 20 it would be down to 33%. From what little I have read on fertigation, the rate and frequency is not as important as the overall quantity (lbs of N-P-K, etc).  However, I feel injecting an undiluted nutrient solution is easier to understand, control, and manage.

Here is a link to a website that sells the venturi injectors I was looking at purchasing. The components can be purchased on amazon for less $$$.

https://www.dripworks.com/1-mazzei-injectors-and-accessories
Brandon

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 08:16:05 AM »
I looked into it and my plan is to use liquid ferts only. Make my own NPK strength concussion and use accordingly. Another way is to use 100% water soluble fert, and premix worth water using mortar mixer, then strain the mix into the tank. Those using it have good reviews. On drips, it is very hard to fertilize in CA due to drought weather. I will have my system up and running in 3 weeks. Will report results in 6 weeks. Having over 500 fruit trees, plants, shrubs on drips is hard to fertilize.

Dosatron injector and Dyna-Gro liquid plant food are pretty hard to beat.

If you have the pressure at your source, say 50 PSI, you might get by with a Mazzei.   Another good ol timey solution is Hozon Syphonex.  Have one from 40 years ago, still working fine.   No moving parts!

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 12:39:25 PM »
My point is that on day 1 the strength of fertilizer in the tank is 100% but on day 20 it would be down to 33%. From what little I have read on fertigation, the rate and frequency is not as important as the overall quantity (lbs of N-P-K, etc).  However, I feel injecting an undiluted nutrient solution is easier to understand, control, and manage.

Here is a link to a website that sells the venturi injectors I was looking at purchasing. The components can be purchased on amazon for less $$$.

https://www.dripworks.com/1-mazzei-injectors-and-accessories
Correct, but depending on setting you can get that first dose to be smaller much smaller. key here is that plants will be fed at each watering slow doeses

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 12:45:39 PM »
http://ezfloinjection.com/resources/how-ez-flo-works/

if you read it and if it works like they say, there is no dilution that occurs so concentration stays consistent from start to depleting of entire tank, they cant claim it falsely.

EZ-FLO’s patented flow technologies effectively create an “invisible bladder” that separates the clear water entering the tank from the fertilizer concentrate at the bottom of the tank. As clear water is introduced into the tank, it arrives in a number of areas. Port water inlets at the top of the tank create a clear layer of water that separates it from the fertilizer concentrate. Additionally a micro-jet agitation nozzle at the bottom of the tank “gently” agitates the heavier fertilizer concentrate, keeping the resulting semi-dissolved solution at even chemical concentration levels leaving the tank. Because of this ‘invisible bladder effect” there is no real dilution of the suspended N-P-K in the tank through out most of the tank cycle.  Only when you get to the end of the tank contents do the NPK percentages fall off.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 12:47:59 PM by behlgarden »

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 01:27:22 PM »
That explanation on the website seems to defy what I was taught when I was a youngster, something about diffusion and equalibrium. It could be true when using a powder that fully saturates the water volume of the tank and continues to dissolve over time.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:09:57 PM by cbss_daviefl »
Brandon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 01:30:56 PM »
true. I water twice a week and water deeply. we know we dont fertilize weekly so a light dose of fertilizer on every watering you cant go wrong.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 04:56:51 PM »
Easy to test with a tds meter
Brad Spaugh

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2018, 08:05:53 PM »
ez flow (same brand) is the one my landscape contractor recommended.

-K

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 12:55:22 AM »
Cool. Get big tank. I got 2.5 gal for my 1/3rd acre.  A 5 gal should be more than sufficient. Read specs on how much it will cover.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 04:02:48 PM »
Finally I finished installation of backflow preventer and EZ Flow fertigation system. filled it with Growmore 20-20-20 and that is my first dose on slow setting, will see how long it lasts and what the results are. Hoping it to last 3 weeks, I water twice a week to all my plants and grass. Will see how it goes. so far, I am done worrying about my 400 plus California native and succulents on how to feed them manually. Next major step is to check drips, lol, its been 3 years.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 02:08:40 AM »
Mine is installed but I haven’t run it yet as remainder of irrigation isn’t done yet.

I bought the following liquid fertilizers:

Dr earth seaweed 0-0-4.5
Dr earth nitro big 7-2-2
Dr earth golden bloom 2-7-2

I also have keyplex, so ag citrus, so ag palm, and root ruckus liquid compost concentrate.

The last few I use in foliar feeding (except for root ruckus). Excited to try it out and see how it works, although I haven’t looked into how the dilution works or if it’s adjustable. Congrats! And good luck with the next project.

K

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2018, 12:37:01 AM »
http://ezfloinjection.com/resources/how-ez-flo-works/

if you read it and if it works like they say, there is no dilution that occurs so concentration stays consistent from start to depleting of entire tank, they cant claim it falsely.

EZ-FLO’s patented flow technologies effectively create an “invisible bladder” that separates the clear water entering the tank from the fertilizer concentrate at the bottom of the tank. As clear water is introduced into the tank, it arrives in a number of areas. Port water inlets at the top of the tank create a clear layer of water that separates it from the fertilizer concentrate. Additionally a micro-jet agitation nozzle at the bottom of the tank “gently” agitates the heavier fertilizer concentrate, keeping the resulting semi-dissolved solution at even chemical concentration levels leaving the tank. Because of this ‘invisible bladder effect” there is no real dilution of the suspended N-P-K in the tank through out most of the tank cycle.  Only when you get to the end of the tank contents do the NPK percentages fall off.

Sounds like a crock to me, they can claim anything falsely, who is to stop them?  It still sounds interesting to me, but I don't believe that "invisible bladder effect" crap for one second.  Ever heard of Occam's Razor??  I find that principal is almost always correct.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2018, 02:54:27 PM »
Not sure yet. I’ve read great things about ez flo online, and some larger growers in Florida seem to use their bucket/pail systems from what I can see in various YouTube videos (not the most scientific examination I know 😀)

I’m not sure if it’s ok to put in some thicker solutions like humid acid. I feel there are some thick solutes and particles that could clog the line if not sufficiently diluted.

I still have to read up on how to use the system but soon I’ll chime in with some results.

K

Rnguyen

• 10b orange county, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 07:46:15 AM »
Any updates on this system.  Depending on the results, I may get one too.
- Rick

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 02:29:12 PM »

Mine is working great so far. fertilizer setting on lowest and watering every other day on my front and backyard, total 19 controllers, and well over 30 sprinklers and 400 drips, the tank has held for over a month with 25-25-25- fertilizer that also had Iron and essential 6 elements, plus seawead extract. as you know fertilizer is very slow feed so results will be slow to show but for sure every plant on drip is getting the much needed fertilizer and nutrients that I was not able to do for 3 years.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 10:40:08 AM by behlgarden »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2018, 03:32:37 PM »

Mine is working great so far. fertilizer setting on lowest and watering every other week, the tank has held for over a month with 25-25-25- fertilizer that also had Iron and essential 6 elements, plus seawead extract. as you know fertilizer is very slow feed so results will be slow to show but for sure every plant on drip is getting the much needed fertilizer and nutrients that I was not able to do for 3 years.

Without knowing your soil analysis or plant material I've feel the need to chime in about that high P food.  Phosphorous is the most abused, over rated macro mainly because of the prevailing label hype "produces more blooms and strong roots".  Long ago I changed to low P foods like a 5-1-3 or 3-1-2 both in the field in greenhouse.  High P foods will induce micro deficiencies if high enough, don't care how much micros supplements you add.  Concept is "nutrient antagonism".

Peter's High Performance 25-5-10 is hard to beat.  Has a great ammonical to nitrate ratio of N providing for slow and fast release.   25# bag shipped from Amazon is $54.  Keyplex 350 DP is the best micros package I've used whether foliar or soil.  Can be injected.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 03:34:48 PM by Mark in Texas »

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2018, 12:55:17 AM »

Agree with Behl. Mine is working fantastically, plants are growing well. Only downside is that it’s hard for me to tell when the solution is dilute enough hat it’s time to replace the concentrate within the tank. I don’t have a flow meter so I only have estimates. Because most concentrates are colored , I can always examine the effluent and see if it’s colored or not but I’d prefer to be more exact. But otherwise a headache free system that delivers dilute fertilizer to plants with each watering.

K

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2018, 01:14:27 AM »

Agree with Behl. Mine is working fantastically, plants are growing well. Only downside is that it’s hard for me to tell when the solution is dilute enough hat it’s time to replace the concentrate within the tank. I don’t have a flow meter so I only have estimates. Because most concentrates are colored , I can always examine the effluent and see if it’s colored or not but I’d prefer to be more exact. But otherwise a headache free system that delivers dilute fertilizer to plants with each watering.

K

You have a flow meter that the city uses to charge you with.  If you are interested in your flow rates it can be checked using the city's water meter.  Just kick the sprinklers on and measure it.  Good learning exercise for the kids too.
Brad Spaugh

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2018, 10:42:09 AM »
sorry I said I water every other week, its actually every other day. No I dont monitor flow rate but will look into it. I do have 128 psi at my meter so I ma using PRV and have set my psi to over 55, because some of my lines are old and may be blocked so I need to force more PSI in there to get full pressure at every drip/sprinkler head.