Author Topic: Kosrae green tangerines  (Read 1907 times)

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
Kosrae green tangerines
« on: April 23, 2018, 04:48:34 AM »
My husband use to fly through the island of kosrae regularly and would rave about their green, seedless,  sweet, easy to peel, tangerines. Sadly he was not allowed to bring any back home due to Hawaii’s agriculture regulations. He no longer flies to kosrae and really wants to find out what kind of tangerines grow there and how to get a tree if even possible. Does anyone know the name of the local green kosrae tangerines?

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
Re: Kosrae green tangerines
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 08:23:10 AM »
First I had to look up where Kosrae is! Federated States of Micronesia - between Hawaii and Papua New Guinea, but a long way from both.
All the references I could find only mentioned 'tangerines', not a variety name.
Citrus isn't native to the island, so could be an unnamed seedling variety.
As Kosrae is completely tropical, citrus grown there will be mainly green and never develop the orange colours of cooler climates.
Pest & desease regulations will prevent import of citrus from Kosrae into most other countries.
Here are some photos of Kosrae tangerines I found online.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 12:12:34 PM »
My guess is that your husband could have legally imported seeds without a problem, if the fruit contained seeds.  Also it is probably a more or less common tangerine.

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 05:31:48 AM »
Thanks Citrange and Millet! I didn’t know that citrus in the tropics remain that green. In Hawaii they don’t turn as yellow/orange as they do in the mainland but They never are that green

Sadly he never came across a single seed nor has his friends for that matter. But if it is a fairly common tangerine then there is no point in me trying to hunt it down.

Thanks again!