Author Topic: TransAtlantic Bare-root Mango trip  (Read 1828 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
TransAtlantic Bare-root Mango trip
« on: April 26, 2018, 07:12:35 PM »
In a month I will take mango trees across the great water, bare root.  (Florida to West Africa). Never done this before. Transit time will be about 48 hours from bare root to replanting so I don't expect any but am open to suggestions from those with experience.  Raining season is just starting and I am relying on it (no irrigation).  The big vision begins...

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: TransAtlantic Bare-root Mango trip
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 08:11:38 PM »
If you can take live plant materials, why not take budwood and graft on to trees sourced at your destination?
Brandon

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 09:47:44 PM »
If you can take live plant materials, why not take budwood and graft on to trees sourced at your destination?

Skills.  In time that will come too..

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 02:17:57 AM »
Mango will die fast due to dehydration and temperature fluctuations in the plane. Also in the unlucky event that the plane crashes. ;D

OK you can do it, I brought mangos like this and success rate is 50/50. What you need to do is to trim the tree heavily, and leave only 3-4 leaves. The mango will make new bids in 32-3 months. After that you wash the root very fast and you pack is in moist perlite. Moist not fully saturated. Perlite is light. Another method is to use saw dust which is a bit heavier. Good luck!

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 02:54:22 AM »
In a month I will take mango trees across the great water, bare root.  (Florida to West Africa). Never done this before. Transit time will be about 48 hours from bare root to replanting so I don't expect any but am open to suggestions from those with experience.  Raining season is just starting and I am relying on it (no irrigation).  The big vision begins...

What supplements have you decided to give them after their initial shock from being bare rooted? I’ve seen others on here use & suggest SuperThrive. (I use RealGrowersRecharge with very high recovery and success rate, I highly highly recommend it)
Sergio

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 06:15:48 PM »
If you do it right most of them will survive. Mangoes are pretty hardy and take bare rooting pretty well. You should trim most of the leave off. Wrap the top in moistened newspaper and then plastic to keep the remaining leaves moist. Use moistened sphagnum moss inside plastic bag around the roots, bind tightly so the moss moistened moss makes good contact with the roots.
More deciding part of success is how you treat them once you get there. Pot them up as soon as possible. Keep them in full shade for a couple days, and then more into filtered sunlight for a couple of weeks. Keep them very well misted while they are recooperating. Good to mist for 5 minutes once per hour first couple days. Good luck!
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 09:00:09 AM »
Thank you Oscar, 561 and lebmung.  I had not thought of all these things so am sure they will improve our success.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk