Author Topic: Jabo and dragon fruit  (Read 1554 times)

AlexTrees

• Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Jabo and dragon fruit
« on: May 11, 2018, 07:16:10 PM »
hello, I have a 5 year old jabo in a container, I’m not sure what variety it is. Can you guys tell by the leaves or bark? It hasn’t fruited yet 😒. Also I had a couple questions regarding dragon fruit - a friend gave me a few large pieces from his place , I did the best I could standing and tying them up. They had flowers last year but no fruit before I transplanted to my house. My questions are - when should I expect to flower again and will the flower on new growth only? Thanks and have a great weekend !

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Jabo and dragon fruit
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 10:17:46 PM »
Yes, I believe they will flower on new growth which has matured recently. The most vertical stem in your picture is pointed at the end is an example of one which is in active growth. When they slow down these stems will become blunt rather than pointed and should be able to bloom. here is SW Florida DF are getting close to flowering, maybe within the next few months.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 02:04:29 AM »
The tree is the variety 'Sabara' Jaboticaba. Chris
-Chris

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 06:20:19 AM »
The dragonfruit stems at the top need to hang downwards to encourage flowering in an umbrella shape. Sabara is the most widely grown jaboticaba and one of the slowest to start fruiting, often 7 or 8 years. The first couple of flowering often don't have fruit set.

AlexTrees

• Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 12:58:40 PM »
Cool guys- I appreciate the input- Is it a good variety ?

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 03:24:23 PM »
the DF looks like it is a bit yellow
maybe too much water ?
or not enough magnesium ? or nitrogen ?

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 07:16:21 PM »
flowering happens in S Fl from about May to Oct. some have to be hand pollinated and some have to be crossed. Sometimes when you have many close by the bee's and moths will pollinate.

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 11:35:20 AM »
Check out the dragonfruit mega thread.  They're discussing pollination right now and how some varieties are self-fruitful but others require pollination from an unrelated variety.
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk