Author Topic: Mongogo /Manketti Tree- Schinziophyton rautanenii  (Read 944 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Mongogo /Manketti Tree- Schinziophyton rautanenii
« on: May 15, 2018, 08:54:00 AM »
I see a few had this to trade and some have historically had it on their wishlist.  Is anyone actually growing it?  Looks quite nutritious, productive and drought hardy.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mongogo /Manketti Tree- Schinziophyton rautanenii
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 07:16:27 PM »
I have germinated a couple in the past. I have a few seeds left I will try to germinate again.  I recommend you use a small hack saw to cut the shell.  Also I lost my first batch of seedlings to rot. I grew them indoors and they did not like the peat based mix.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: Mongogo /Manketti Tree- Schinziophyton rautanenii
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 08:24:53 PM »
Surely power tools and a C clamp are the best way to get into these things... with a bench grinder or an angle grinder you could just grind the shell down to a thin layer without any risk of accidentally touching the nut.  Or if you wanted to crush the shell, but just barely, you could do that with the C clamp itself.  It's not like a sledgehammer that will just keep going after the shell cracks....
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk