Author Topic: Lychee time  (Read 4016 times)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Lychee time
« on: May 15, 2018, 09:02:59 PM »
 1st year for a good harvest. I believe this was a Mauritius(updated after puglvr1 mentioned it in post#12) planted some years ago.

I enjoyed some earlier today & decided to pick a few more and eat now...  There are probably 30 more on the small tree for later.

These were very sweet & tart combo & so fun to eat with the clear plump juicy flesh surrounded by the egg shell thin shell.

Sorry, didn't have time to stop and take a picture till they were all gone.... :P

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 07:44:45 PM by palmcity »

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
Re: Lychee time
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 10:17:19 PM »
lychees are like crack cocaine, or that of a potato chip. You are not eating just one.

apresser

• USA, Hawaii, Haleiwa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 12:48:19 AM »
Its serious lychee time here at my place, 1 out of 3 trees on the property. Pretty hard to reach some of these, the tree was improperly pruned a number of years ago ... but it still seems happy

1st year for a good harvest. I believe this was a brewster planted some years ago.

I enjoyed some earlier today & decided to pick a few more and eat now...  There are probably 30 more on the small tree for later.

These were very sweet & tart combo & so fun to eat with the clear plump juicy flesh surrounded by the egg shell thin shell.

Sorry, didn't have time to stop and take a picture till they were all gone.... :P

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 12:52:30 AM »
Its serious lychee time here at my place, 1 out of 3 trees on the property. Pretty hard to reach some of these, the tree was improperly pruned a number of years ago ... but it still seems happy

1st year for a good harvest. I believe this was a brewster planted some years ago.

Awesome.  What do you do with it all?
Brad Spaugh

apresser

• USA, Hawaii, Haleiwa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 12:54:35 AM »
still have not picked it, planning to do that this weekend. Usually we give a large amount away to friends/family/neighbors. Sell some of it at the farmers market. They taste great, but have giant seeds so not the best for selling. unsure of the variety.

Awesome.  What do you do with it all?

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 01:12:45 AM »
That's an impressive tree.

Bill

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 01:05:40 PM »

Beautiful lychee tree loaded with fruit... I want to zoom in and pick some  :P
[/quote]
lychees are like crack cocaine, or that of a potato chip. You are not eating just one.
lol  ... verified... on potato chips...   Curious on the other but risks outweigh rewards presently; will probably wait till over 90 yr old as projections are slim for long term addiction at that time... A few relatives already looking forward to the afterlife in their 90's would probably enjoy a good ride again... But unfortunately, no guarantees I've read...

BluMalibu

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 01:22:57 PM »
Best tasting variety and easy to grow in Southern California?

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 01:53:32 PM »
Any tips on pruning lychee tree? I have a Mauritius lychee and a Sweet Heart. So far the Sweet heart is very slow growing so I think they need different way of pruning?

BluMalibu

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 02:04:33 PM »
Any tips on pruning lychee tree? I have a Mauritius lychee and a Sweet Heart. So far the Sweet heart is very slow growing so I think they need different way of pruning?

I only have sweet heart, I am looking to get a second variety , would you recommend Mauritius?

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 03:50:28 PM »
I only have sweet heart, I am looking to get a second variety , would you recommend Mauritius?

I almost get Brewster but ended up getting Mauritius because it's a commercial variety, which mean more consistent yield. The Sweet heart could fruit once every 2-3 years. I'm not sure if Brewster would do well in California.

Hak Ip is another highly recommended, but I heard it's just like Sweet Heart.

Check out the comparison here:

https://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/variety-viewer-variety-lychee-reference-3

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 04:11:43 PM »

Wow, what a monster producer. when I was in Big Island few years ago, I saw trees loaded like this and fruits would be on the ground spoiling. Same for mangoes.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 11:14:03 AM »

Hi Palm city, Congrats on your lychee fruiting!! NO expert but yours looks like Mauritius to me. I have one (this is the first year I have NO fruits) but the color of the pic you posted looks like Mauritius not bright red like mine when they are fully ripe. Also the timing seems right. Usually Brewster aren't ripe till mid to late June or early July. My Mauritius were always ready to pick mid to late May...either way Enjoy the fruits of your labor  :)

Apresser, that is one impressive tree, Wow!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for posting!!! Very jealous over here  ;)

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 11:56:51 AM »

Hi Palm city, Congrats on your lychee fruiting!! NO expert but yours looks like Mauritius to me. I have one (this is the first year I have NO fruits) but the color of the pic you posted looks like Mauritius not bright red like mine when they are fully ripe. Also the timing seems right. Usually Brewster aren't ripe till mid to late June or early July. My Mauritius were always ready to pick mid to late May...either way Enjoy the fruits of your labor  :)

Apresser, that is one impressive tree, Wow!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for posting!!! Very jealous over here  ;)
Thanks for the advice,

I am also eyeing a mango tree that was sold to me over 5 years ago as a Keitt. It almost died with a split trunk and I replanted it about 3 years ago to give it another location/try... The trunk healed & now has about 15 nice size mango that are larger in size than my other Florigon tree fruit; but they sure look like Florigon... Waiting for ripening to find out with the taste test & completion of fruit growth... I'll be happy if it's a Florigon as I only have one other vs. many Keitt mango trees; and I do like the flavor of Florigon as a early mango choice.

My second guess will be Tebow (young) as they are more round, but not in a hurry to find out as not finished growing/ripening.   
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:00:39 PM by palmcity »

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 12:09:48 PM »

Keep us posted on what your mango tree ends up being...I've never tasted Florigon (there's so many I've never tried), so many mangoes so little time Lol...

BluMalibu

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 01:18:28 AM »

Wow, what a monster producer. when I was in Big Island few years ago, I saw trees loaded like this and fruits would be on the ground spoiling. Same for mangoes.

Great link thank you for sharing, also states that Sweetheart is the most consistent producer.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2018, 03:01:52 AM »

Those shells look green to me. That is why they tasted tart, not fully ripe. Those seeds wrong shape for Brewster.
Oscar

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2018, 03:28:57 AM »

Jaw dropped jealous!!!

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 07:37:25 AM »
"quote author=kc_moses link=topic=28171.msg320293#msg320293 date=1526493212]
Any tips on pruning lychee tree? I have a Mauritius lychee and a Sweet Heart. So far the Sweet heart is very slow growing so I think they need different way of pruning?"

KC, I tip prune my lychee tree once a year...my tree is only 7 years old so it's not huge yet but I remove about 12-14" of the fruit spikes after fruits are picked. This year my tiny fruitlets got nipped in a late frost we had in March so no fruit this year. I decided to prune the lower limbs since it was difficult mowing the grass near and around it. You can prune them pretty much anyway you like to keep the size in check usually the best time is after the fruits have been picked...if the tree has no fruits you can prune them anytime after frost/freeze is over till mid July...here is a link from Lycheesonline.com on that subject

http://www.lycheesonline.com/howtogettreetofruit.cfm

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 07:55:42 PM »

Those shells look green to me. That is why they tasted tart, not fully ripe. Those seeds wrong shape for Brewster.

Puglvr1 mentioned in post#12 probably Mauritus & gave a great reference describing Mauritus:
http://www.lycheesonline.com/mauritius.cfm
"Mauritius fruit typically ripens several weeks earlier than the Brewster and is easily distinguished from it's counterpart by the Pinkish GREEN Skin coloration characteristic of ripe fruit."

"The sub-acid SWEET aril of ripe Mauritius fruit is slightly TART and as the fruit ages on the tree the flesh becomes firmer and less juicy."

"Another favorable characteristic of the Mauritius is the higher percentage of small ("chicken tongue") seeds within a given batch of fruit, although the Mauritius lychee tends to be smaller than the Brewster."

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 09:03:06 AM »
If you have a business selling tropical fruit trees/lychees, it's best not to have the identical picture when describing two different lychee varieties.....  It leads one to doubt the validity of the data presented...
https://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/variety-viewer-variety-lychee-reference-3

Someone made an effort to get 2 different pictures of Brewster vs. Mauritius on the website.... The angle & lychee count is definitely different... I am not an expert and cannot say for sure if these pictures are the same or different species taken.... It just doesn't look like my tree in my yard in either picture...

What I believe is my Mauritus lychee tree is described most exactly by:  http://www.lycheesonline.com/mauritius.cfm
with smaller seeds than the Brewster and an early pinkish green ripe juicy sweet tart fruit.

"As Brewster fruit ripens the small raised bumps on the fruit surface gradually smooth out and the skin of the fruit turns from pinkish red to a bright purplish red. The inner skin, or endocarp, is distincly pinkish"     http://www.lycheesonline.com/brewster.cfm

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 03:23:41 PM by palmcity »