Author Topic: Has Anyone Successfuly Grown Hardy Kiwi in coastal Southern California?  (Read 2273 times)

shaxs

• SoCal Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Hello everyone!

First post here. It looks like I will be moving from the Seattle area to coastal southern California. The new hardiness zone is 10b. I am a little depressed because I am leaving behind my hardy kiwis which are on their second year. I will never see them fruit. I wanted to see if anyone in coastal southern Cali has been successful in growing hardy kiwi in that area? I know you can grow some normal fuzzy kiwis, but they are not quite as fun ;)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
I'm not sure why anyone would want to grow hardy kiwis in Southern California when you can grow better tasting regular kiwis.

That said, I think it is likely they can probably grow.

But keep in mind all kiwis can have a lot of difficultly growing in hot dry conditions. You might want to plant in partial shade, in a spot where the wind is less likely to blow away all the humidity, and keep it consistently watered. Southern California has a different heat level than the climate that you're used to, and you will likely have to adjust everything you know and adopt different gardening practices.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:17:12 PM by SoCal2warm »

HibachiDrama

• Jacksonville
    • View Profile
@SoCal2warm not sure why you'd slander Hardy Kiwi that way, they're infintely better tasting than bland, watered down regular kiwis.

shaxs

• SoCal Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Has Anyone Successfuly Grown Hardy Kiwi in coastal Southern California?
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 03:55:10 PM »
Sorry I missed these replies. I love hardy kiwis. They taste great and I love just popping them off the vine and eating them whole without having to peel. I will also probably grow vincent or regular kiwi as well.

I found a rare fruit growers club in orange county ca. Im going to contact them and see as well.

lawblick

• Central FL zone 9
    • View Profile
Re: Has Anyone Successfuly Grown Hardy Kiwi in coastal Southern California?
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 11:58:30 AM »
I've heard of successful fruiting with a combination of 'Vincent' and 'Tomuri' in the FL panhandle, and know of vines planted about 3 or 4 years ago that are alive and well in Gainesville (on the border of zone 8/9) but have yet to hear if they've produced fruit.