Author Topic: what do you plant indoor?  (Read 2014 times)

ExoticJenny

• Poland
    • View Profile
what do you plant indoor?
« on: July 23, 2018, 06:26:59 PM »
Hello everyone!
I love growing plants but I am growing only tomatoes and a lemon tree. What else would be good to grow indoor?
Especially I would like to try some tropical fruits! What about lady finger bananas? Where can I get seeds or seedlings?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: what do you plant indoor?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 06:56:03 PM »
Miracle fruit is an awesome plant to Fruit indoors.

Simon

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 05:39:38 AM »
Miracle fruit is an awesome plant to Fruit indoors.

Simon

Miracle fruit is very hard to grow in continental Europe where winter is very cold and inside the house humidity drops very much. Sure there are methods to grow it, but I say this compared to a average house plant.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 11:07:16 AM »
If you can keep the pH of the soil and water acidic enough, it’s not too difficult to grow indoors even in low humidity areas. I live in SoCal where humidity is relatively low and have several miracle fruit trees that I grow in my garage most of the year and they are doing fine. In the late Spring or Summer, I take them out and they produce lots of fruit for me.

Probably not for the novice but the novelty factor alone makes this plant worth growing indoors.

Simon

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 03:38:39 PM »
The stuff I've had the best luck with so far are sub-tropicals and tropicals from non equatorial areas, including:
pomegranates
figs
strawberry and lemon guava
natal plums
eugenias
citrus

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 03:36:43 AM »
Under the right conditions almost anything can grow indoors. For tropical fruits though light and humidity would be the biggest challanges. I'm actually going to buy an indoor greenhouse just for that purpose....

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 07:31:27 AM »
If you can keep the pH of the soil and water acidic enough, it’s not too difficult to grow indoors even in low humidity areas. I live in SoCal where humidity is relatively low and have several miracle fruit trees that I grow in my garage most of the year and they are doing fine. In the late Spring or Summer, I take them out and they produce lots of fruit for me.

Probably not for the novice but the novelty factor alone makes this plant worth growing indoors.

Simon

I use distilled water and adjust the PH, the soil type is acidic with good aeration.
I am just saying the climate in continental Europe it's very challenging for this plant. When outside it's -20 C (-4F9) and low humidity, inside the house it's even lower humidity, perhaps 30-40% RH. Sure you can say put a humidifier, well that works but at expense of the furniture and thing inside the home which will get mould. Also summer is extremely hot and dry. In southern Europe where the climate it's similar to California, over there it's easier to grow.
For a beginner it's a big challenge to grow them.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 08:31:43 AM »
The stuff I've had the best luck with so far are sub-tropicals and tropicals from non equatorial areas, including:
pomegranates
figs
strawberry and lemon guava
natal plums
eugenias
citrus

fig and POM indoors ?
do you have a small star to produce light ?

most ive talked to in the fig forum
had told me any fig they grew in shade had very low production.
ive been under the impression POM was the same way also... is it not ?

one trick i do use for any plant that is in shade a lot
is extra iron and magnesium
they darken the leaves allowing it to photosynthesize with less light.
my Feijoa 's leaves got much darker, and the plant looked a lot healthier.
its also helped, mulberry, katuk, citrus, persimmon... and fig too.

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 10:08:48 AM »
ha i don't have a small star...but I do put them on my porch in the summer so they're indoor plants 7 to 8 months a year with 4 to 5 months outdoors...so they are not completely indoor plants...the plants have northern exposure both inside and out for which in the winter I do use a plant lights as supplimental light....when I lived at a place with a southern exposure the plants did great without supplimental light...all that said they seem to doing great, with the pomegranate blooming like crazy in only its 4th year from seed

katespades

• USA
    • View Profile
    • LED Grow Lights
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 04:39:41 PM »
I have been trying to grow indoor citrus trees for years, but the only citrus that I have had luck growing indoors so far (I live in New England) is calamondin.  I know some in my region have luck with Meyer Lemons but none for me! The trick is have good sun exposure/grow lights and air flow but my problem seems to be watering. I water too much and they die, I water too little and they die. I just cant get it right. I will have to try Miracle Fruit.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 04:50:53 PM by katespades »