Author Topic: What are the top 5 best Mango Varieties for Southern California?  (Read 14693 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What are the top 5 best Mango Varieties for Southern California?
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 09:45:47 PM »
I would add Gary and Valencia Pride for some Coconut taste.

Here’s a picture of my friends Honey Kiss crop grown in inland North County. This is a Honey Kiss graft on an 8 year old Manilla seedling with a large trunk.

My friend mentioned that in a side by side tasting with Sweet Tart, it was difficult to pick a winner.

Simon

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 10:27:58 PM »

Here’s a picture of my friends Honey Kiss crop grown in inland North County. This is a Honey Kiss graft on an 8 year old Manilla seedling with a large trunk.

My friend mentioned that in a side by side tasting with Sweet Tart, it was difficult to pick a winner.

Simon

Loaded and dripping the way all righteous mango trees should be.  Sorry to use phrase loaded and dripping a lot but that's just the way things are.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 10:30:32 PM by zands »

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 10:30:38 PM »

Simon

Simon...I left Gary off the list since there is only 1 seller (certified to sell to CA) that carries it ...TT...and who knows what you will get from them.
Also, there is also pettigrew (which supposedly has coconut flavor), which I have successfully propagated from USDA scions, but is not propagated by Zills HPP (that I know of).
Not sure about VP having coconut flavor, but if you say our friend AZ's VP tree has that flavor... I'll have to try it again.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 10:32:19 PM by wslau »
Warren

greenbean88

• USA, Trabuco Canyon, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2018, 04:12:42 AM »
Hey Simon I have heard you talk highly about a variety called senorita from other posts? Is it a good producer and some thing you would add to your collection?
Erik

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2018, 08:25:16 AM »
Erik, Seniorita is a fantastic mango but I know nothing about it other than the fact that Frank is growing it. The flavor profile is similar to Sweet Tart in that it has a very high Sweet factor and a good amount of acidity for an overall perfect sugar acid balance. The Fruit is larger than the ST with a deep orange flesh. I’ve only sampled it once but it blew everyone away.

Simon

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2018, 08:50:54 AM »
Erik, Seniorita is a fantastic mango but I know nothing about it other than the fact that Frank is growing it. The flavor profile is similar to Sweet Tart in that it has a very high Sweet factor and a good amount of acidity for an overall perfect sugar acid balance. The Fruit is larger than the ST with a deep orange flesh. I’ve only sampled it once but it blew everyone away.

Simon

Going from memory alone...it's a Madame Francis seedling and an improvement over its parent (i.e. Fiberless).  As far as I know, its not for sale or distribution yet.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 09:08:30 AM by wslau »
Warren

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2018, 05:07:00 PM »
You guys from California please , oh please when saying a certain mango cultivar grows well where you are if you do know it  clarify please the following

1>  Which rootstock the cultivar is growing on
2>  The age of the tree
3>  Container grown or In ground
4>  Soil type

This is very important info to all.
I notice a few people will say oh this grows great for me while it's in a pot maybe just got there from florida and was already flushing , maybe just received a dose of fertilizer before shipped and thus giving a growth flush and other factors.

So I take it with a grain of salt when someone say a certain cultivar grows well / great for me for ex: here in California unless they specify some of the factors such as listed above.
Just would like a little more specific info at times. That's all.
Mike

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2018, 05:14:19 PM »
You guys from California please , oh please when saying a certain mango cultivar grows well where you are if you do know it  clarify please the following

1>  Which rootstock the cultivar is growing on
2>  The age of the tree
3>  Container grown or In ground
4>  Soil type

This is very important info to all.
I notice a few people will say oh this grows great for me while it's in a pot maybe just got there from florida and was already flushing , maybe just received a dose of fertilizer before shipped and thus giving a growth flush and other factors.

So I take it with a grain of salt when someone say a certain cultivar grows well / great for me for ex: here in California unless they specify some of the factors such as listed above.
Just would like a little more specific info at times. That's all.
Mike

And post photos or it didnt happen.
Brad Spaugh

philek9

• Santa Clarita, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2018, 11:36:59 AM »
I was really hoping to get coconut cream as my third choice. But honeykiss seems to be an interesting variety.

How much more productive is honeykiss in so cal? How much better does coconut cream taste?

Honey Kiss bears in clusters like Sweet Tart. Coconut Cream is poor producing here and has droopy attitude, with fragile branches, and could snap in santa ana winds. taste wise, both are excellent but different.

You should taste them before making up your mind.

I tasted a few honey kiss mangos from Zill's Mangos, and they were excellent!  It was very sweet and I tasted some traces of orange and pineapple.  Hopefully, they do well here cause I put the seeds in the soil!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk