Author Topic: I just ordered mango budwood. Is there anything I should do to prepare to graft?  (Read 2859 times)

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
Should I prepare prune the trees?

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
No pruning needed before scions arrive.  Generally not much you can do without seeing the scions.  Just make sure you have healthy/active rootstock or branches selected.  The type of graft you choose will depend on the size of the scions and branch/rootstock size.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:14:49 AM by wslau »
Warren

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Waren,

I cut the head off the rootstock 1 week before grafting, that induces sap flow and energy towards pushing new growth, when you graft it helps along. its like having a natural next flush cycle. However, I have not studied the affects.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
Where did you order Mango budwood?

BonsaiBeast

• View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
From Tropical Acres

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
Waren,

I cut the head off the rootstock 1 week before grafting, that induces sap flow and energy towards pushing new growth, when you graft it helps along. its like having a natural next flush cycle. However, I have not studied the affects.

However you could skip this step if your rootstock is pushing at graft time.
- Marley

TerraFrutisEcuador

• Morona-Santiago Province, Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • TerraFrutis.com
Save up some urine or make sure you have a decent fertilizer ready to apply around the time of grafting. Side veneer if you haven’t prepped the plant by topping it roughly 1 week or more prior.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Waren,

Behl....sometimes it is not possible to do this if your rootstock is young/small and only has leaves at the top.
Alex always supplies nice pencil thick scions, so you can't always graft them onto really young/small rootstock.
Agreed though...your method definitely works for taller rootstocks, as long as there are leaves below your cut point and subsequent graft.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 12:44:02 AM by wslau »
Warren

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
I would just pick a rootstock that’s active. I would do veneer or budding these have worked best for me.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
Waren,

Behl....sometimes it is not possible to do this if your rootstock is young/small and only has leaves at the top.
Alex always supplies nice pencil thick scions, so you can't always graft them onto really young/small rootstock.
Agreed though...your method definitely works for taller rootstocks, as long as there are leaves below your cut point and subsequent graft.

on young rootstock, I would cut leaves off leaving small tips, induce growth hormone, then do a side veneer to the rootstock. I have done side veneer where budwood was twice as thick as rootstock, all you do is your cut on budwood is thinner to match rootstock cut thickness.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Ive only done z grafting on citrus but you can try a z graft if your scion is larger than rootstock. It’s a little ha d to describe - better to look it up on you tube. Not sure how effective it would be for non citrus.

Goyo626

• USA, CA, West Covina, SZ20/21 USDA 10a
    • View Profile

on young rootstock, I would cut leaves off leaving small tips, induce growth hormone, then do a side veneer to the rootstock. I have done side veneer where budwood was twice as thick as rootstock, all you do is your cut on budwood is thinner to match rootstock cut thickness.

When you say thinner do you mean a more shallow cut? As in taking less material off of the scion?

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
I think he means an off center cut so that the area that is scraped back orpeeled away from the scion is less than the diameter of the scion and matches the diameter or cut of the rootstock.

If the pieces were equal then it’s more straightforward, but in this case you will have to make uneven cuts to make sure the cambium matches. Make sure you have a sharp knife! In my experience, being a little undersized (scion cut compared to the rootstock) is ok at this time as the callus forms in any intervening gap so long as you’re pretty close and well-sealed off from the elements.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile

When you say thinner do you mean a more shallow cut? As in taking less material off of the scion?

Basically align the green bark of scion on cut ends to the rootstock.  if rootstock and scion are same thickness then you go in middle, if rootstock is fatter than scion, then you cleft off-center on rootstock that would align the back of both rootstock and budwood. alignment of green bark ensures alighment of cambium layer. if scion is fatter than rootstock, then you cut off-center of budwood and go max, center of the rootstock,

BonsaiBeast

• View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
I have a few mangos hanging on the tree. Should I remove them before grafting?