Author Topic: Chrysophyllum imperiale  (Read 7179 times)

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
Chrysophyllum imperiale
« on: October 10, 2012, 06:14:18 AM »
Just managed to get two pre-germinated seeds of this impressive Chrysophyllum species from a friend in Brazil - I have been looking for it for a while; it is very rare in nature but do appear in collections and are curious if anyone has experience growing it.?

The photo is from the internet:

Søren
Kampala, Uganda

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
Re: Chrysophyllum imperiale
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 07:01:51 AM »
Just out of curiosity....
Have you tried the African Chrysophyllum's?  And what are they like?  The Danforth book indicated at least one was rather tasty.
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 07:06:38 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysophyllum_imperiale

It is interesting that it can be grown in Sydney and Melbourne and that seeds are being sent back to Rio.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 07:57:32 AM »
WOW! This plant look impressive! Does anyone have references or describtions about the fruit?

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 08:13:06 AM »
Just out of curiosity....
Have you tried the African Chrysophyllum's?  And what are they like?  The Danforth book indicated at least one was rather tasty.

I have tried a few; not sure about the exact species though - but nice and sweet tasting. Can't compare with chrysophyllum cainito as my trees have not yet fruited.

@ Felipe - I agree, this is the most impressive Chrysophyllum I have seen photos of. It was discussed around a year ago on the yahoo group.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
THERE IS AN OLD TREE PLANTED IN 19TH CENTURY AT ROYAL BOT GARDENS SYDNEY. TO MEMORY PLANTED BY PRINCE OF WALES or was it Queen's hubby?

ooops cap lock..... inferior fruit .... think last name is imperialis not imperiale.. good search show 3000+ hits for imperiale and > 100,000 for imperialis

Its the bold appearance of the tree rather than fruit quality why one would want to grow it

My tree is over 30...no fruit and have not noticed flower

google 'chrysophyllum imperialis sydney'
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 09:30:14 AM »
Hi Recher - good to see you here.! So the taste is not so good? Can you describe it? It is a subtropical for what I can read with some cold resistance - perhaps too warm for your tree to trigger flowering?

By the way - it is Chrysophyllum imperiale without the 's'; http://www.ipni.org/ipni/plantNameByVersion.do?id=1124156-2&version=1.5&output_format=lsid-metadata&show_history=true
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 09:30:33 AM »
Over 30 years of age, or over 30 feet high?
Har

Recher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 09:52:15 AM »
Over 30 years of age, or over 30 feet high?

Both..... mine however is growing lanky compared to the full rounded crown of the specimen in Sydney.. planted 1882? 1872?

A lot of my trees should have flwrd / fruited by now. I suspect its micro-nutrition. Since I started fertilizing with Rustica-Plus I have had DOvyalis rhamnoides and who in the blazes was the other species fruit. Since the Dovyalis rhamnoides were > 20 years old I know it was missing some nutrients. Mind you previous I ha dbeen for years a heavy user of blood and bone but this Dutch compounded fertilizer is simply fabulous. Not only ex-organic fertilzer guys like me but 'all' growers are hooked on this compounded fertilizer.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 02:51:30 AM »
Harri Lorenzi should have dedicated a page in his book (which I don't have); but I do see comments comparing not only the physical character of the fruit to Abiu - but also the taste.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Recher

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 08:25:50 AM »
Harri Lorenzi should have dedicated a page in his book (which I don't have); but I do see comments comparing not only the physical character of the fruit to Abiu - but also the taste.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23630893@N08/2590630385/#

This tree is native to the Atlantic, from the coastal region of Rio de Janeiro (today almost entirely urbanized area) to the southeast of the state of Minas Gerais, in the Parque do Rio Doce.
was abundant at the time of colonial Brazil, today is considered endangered in the wild.
Being a large tree, very hard wood, and beautiful and tasty fruit, was appreciated by Emperor D. Pedro I, and also by his son, D. Pedro II, who sent copies to botanical gardens around the world.
During the Second Empire and was unusual because of its logging for timber to build their ships, becoming even rarer after the end of the Empire.
Incredibly, Republicans Pernambucana the famous Revolution of 1817 cut all copies, including growing in Brazilian gardens by the fact that his name was associated with the Emperor!.
Until the early twenty-first century, there were only a few known specimens, all adults, and most outside Brazil, in the following collections:

Botanical Garden of Lisbon, Portugal (planted in 1878)
Farroupilha Park in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul
Royal Botanic Gardens in Sydney, Australia (planted in 1868)
Carlos Thays Botanical Garden, in the city of Buenos Aires, Argentina
Botanical Garden of Brussels, Belgium
Botanical Garden of Florence, Italy There is now a group of people from several countries that deals with the search and preservation of specimens of this species and work to reproduce by seeds. This is a work of great importance as it will allow the restoration and maintenance of the same individuals in the wild, so to save the endangered species. This group achieved two major successes: relict specimens discovered in the wild, in the region of the Parque Estadual do Rio Doce and Pingo Dagua east of Minas Gerais. were also discovered at least one copy in a remnant of native forest in the state of Rio de Janeiro in submontane forest environment ombrófila dense, at an altitude of 200 m around the Baía Guanabara. It measures about 20 to 25 m high, and appears to have more than 100 years old. Currently, in parts of Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo are planted several individuals of this species, which grow with some difficulty, because it is a slow growing tree and very demanding on soil and climate. The copy of the photograph is the oldest of those found in Argentina, and was sent by D. Pedro II. J. In this Botanical grow two more copies of more than 10 years, generated from seeds that were sent from Sydney. From the same origin and age is the individual who grows in the Botanical Garden of the Faculty of Agriculture of Buenos Aires