Author Topic: Phet Pakchong Atemoya  (Read 3336 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Phet Pakchong Atemoya
« on: October 13, 2018, 09:56:58 AM »
I have a four-year-old tree, which I purchased from Excalibur when it was one-gallon size.  I had to move it to a roomier location (front yard) after two years, as it was growing too vigorously for the side of the house.  When I moved it, I was able to save very little of the roots, and I cut it back to two main branches.  The tree started growing back right away with the same vigor and has been a very healthy tree.  This was the first year with a decent crop.  Of about a dozen fruit, half did not mature and/or ripen properly.  I've been 100% satisfied with the fruit that did ripen.  It's chewy and sweet with a low seed count, and although the flavor is not as intense as a good cherimoya, it's still very good.  There are plenty of squirrels in my neighborhood, but they didn't discover and attack the fruit.  All in all, Phet Pakchong seems to be a worthwhile atemoya, and I would recommend it without reservations.  Also, I want to mention that it takes intense sunshine very well.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 02:34:42 PM by johnb51 »
John

astronics1

• usa california lake forest
    • View Profile
Re: Phet Pakchong Atemoya
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 06:59:49 PM »
phet pakchong is #1 in OC . CA most Asian wanted . Hot stup , look up (mang cau hoang hau) you will see the video

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 09:48:36 PM »
phet pakchong is #1 in OC . CA most Asian wanted . Hot stup , look up (mang cau hoang hau) you will see the video

Ppc is a decent atemoya but not in top 10 in OC or anywhere in SoCal.

astronics1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 10:17:35 PM »
Hi RF
In OC little Saigon most Asian people just asking for ppc . I when to golden west swap meet last weekend and saw few plants in 5 gallon pot price is very high , I never been taste it so I don't know how good is it , only I heard it's chewy and does not need hand pollination . so what is the top ten in CA . please post it I am new with these and  would like to know
Thank you   

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 10:27:35 AM »
Hi RF
In OC little Saigon most Asian people just asking for ppc . I when to golden west swap meet last weekend and saw few plants in 5 gallon pot price is very high , I never been taste it so I don't know how good is it , only I heard it's chewy and does not need hand pollination . so what is the top ten in CA . please post it I am new with these and  would like to know
Thank you   

And i grow it and I’ve had it many times in different places. Astro do a forum search and see the 40 + atemoya varieties I grow and sell and you will see ppc  is not in high demand.....there is a reason for that, it’s mediocre.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 05:28:38 PM »
I'm not saying that Frank doesn't have better varieties.  I'd love to see all of them tested here in Florida and to taste them all.  My point is that PPC is a healthy, vigorous tree that can take our heat and humidity and produce decent, flavorful fruit.
John

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 07:24:27 PM »
I'm not saying that Frank doesn't have better varieties.  I'd love to see all of them tested here in Florida and to taste them all.  My point is that PPC is a healthy, vigorous tree that can take our heat and humidity and produce decent, flavorful fruit.

John, I understand your point. I was replying to the California guy who has never eaten one but claims it’s number 1 in Orange County. I have a lot of Asian members who have bought atemoya scions & trees from me and very few have requested ppc. Here is the fruit in my yard

astronics1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 10:54:21 PM »
Sorry RF . I am not trying to claims ppc is #1 there no reason for me to do that , because what I saw Asian peoples keep asked for ppc , the price even double than the other varieties  what I can not afford , also there a red varieties may be 48-17 it's $220 in 5 gallon pot just one graft straight up.  sorry RF just miss understanding here .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk