Author Topic: Snow In Colorado  (Read 1404 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Snow In Colorado
« on: October 14, 2018, 03:23:11 PM »
We are getting snow today here at my place.  Currently the temperature is 18-F (-8 C) and will get colder when the sun sets.  Four or five weeks ago I planted a Flying Dragon Poncirus out side next to the south wall of one of my barns.  The elevation here is 5,240 feet  (1747 m) so our winters can be quite cold.  This will be a good test for the survivability of the in ground Flying Dragon tree.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 08:42:21 PM by Millet »

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
Re: Snow In Colorado
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 08:40:54 PM »
We don't have snow yet, but it does't matter my tree's are in their cozy greenroom. They don't mind. Got a total of 12 led shoplights each 5000k.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 08:45:49 PM »
luak, your citrus are fine looking containers trees.  You can be proud of them for sure.  Nice job growing.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 09:28:45 PM »
My lows the past three days have been in upper 40’s F, highs low 60’s. My first freeze is usually between Halloween and 11/11.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 11:22:36 PM »
Ah, thanks for the reminder.  I have been meaning to plant a FD tree outside somewhere in hopes that it will eventually fruit and produce rootstock seeds.   I don't have a good place for it yet, I need to think about where to fit it.

My heater kicked on for the first time last week.  I have it set to 55F and so far it has been working perfectly and cycling 3 times per hour which is ideal.  I installed two ceiling fans in preparation for winter based on your recommendation, and they are fantastic.  I feel I don't even need horizontal fans with the ceiling fans running, and they take up no floor space.  I have them set to turn on automatically any time the vents are closed.

My greenhouse is now quite crowded as I brought in some herbs and tender perennial flowers, and I have some tomato and pepper plants growing also.   
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 11:28:58 PM by brian »

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 11:06:54 AM »
The only Poncirus that survived in Vermont were those that were mostly in the shade in the winter and out of the wind.  Plants in sunny locations that looked great in January with green stems died back by March. 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 10:10:30 PM »
Checked my in ground Flying Dragon  noted in my above post after it went through the recent snow storm.  The low during the night of the storm was 12-F.  No damage at all - none.