Author Topic: GEM avocado in Los Angeles area?  (Read 9970 times)

mmhendrie

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
GEM avocado in Los Angeles area?
« on: October 16, 2018, 11:37:51 PM »
Hi Folks - I'm looking for advice on finding/purchasing a single GEM avocado tree in the Los Angeles area. I'm on the westside, and literally have called more then 2 dozen nursery's over the last 3 days based in LA, the valley, and Orange county. Only one of them carried GEM (an Orange County nursery), but said they could only sell to orchards. Super frustrating! I have found one online retailer that carries them (adamtropics.com) but searching this forum, it looks like at least 2 members had sketchy experiences with them, so I will avoid them. Anyhow, if there's anyone who knows where to find one, and anyone on the forum who might be selling one, I'd welcome any advice!
thanks much,
Matt

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: GEM avocado in Los Angeles area?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 02:05:14 AM »
Bonita creek nursery. That’s where I got mine. In inland San Diego though. You might try laguna hills nursery in oc- they don’t have it now but are ordering some avos from brokaw next year and brokaw propagates gem

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 12:49:08 PM »
Laguna said they can't sell Gem to the public.
You may need to get scion from a private party to graft it yourself.

mmhendrie

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 01:39:41 PM »
thanks for the advice guys. Is there perhaps something similar to a GEM I can more easily get my hands on? Basically, I'm looking for a smaller tree - in the sub 15ft category, that produces good quality fruit tasting similar to haas. I had looked into a mexicola, but the fruit are really tiny. I'm in climate zone 10b. I'm not a great gardener (although i'm trying to learn) - so something easier to take care of would be ideal.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 02:11:26 PM »
thanks for the advice guys. Is there perhaps something similar to a GEM I can more easily get my hands on? Basically, I'm looking for a smaller tree - in the sub 15ft category, that produces good quality fruit tasting similar to haas. I had looked into a mexicola, but the fruit are really tiny. I'm in climate zone 10b. I'm not a great gardener (although i'm trying to learn) - so something easier to take care of would be ideal.

Lamb Hass or Holiday?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 02:27:35 PM »
I would just get a regular hass tree or a reed.  Its not that difficult to keep them a manageable size.  Especially if you are in a regular sized back yard.  You going to want a vigorous tree like hass that will establish quickly otherwise you are waiting 4 or 5 years for less vigorous types to give you fruit.

Lamb hass is a good (excellent) one also as a season extender for hass.  Still have some hanging on my tree from spring 2017.  I would rather have a regular hass though if only can grow 1 tree.

Holiday grows really bad here.  I have 2 of them and they both are all shaggy and droopy and not vigorous enough for the massive fruit they set.  You will be waiting a long time for holiday to mature and give a decent crop and actually hold fruit to maturity.  And then the trees want to flop over and lean around.  Another waste of space tree IMO.  Much better off with reed tree.
Brad Spaugh

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 02:35:08 PM »
FYI: The GEM Avocado was named after commercial Dragon Fruit grower Gray Martin. GEM is his initials.

A picture of Gray on the Left.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 02:38:14 PM »
FYI: The GEM Avocado was named after commercial Dragon Fruit grower Gray Martin. GEM is his initials.

Ricshaw, whats the patent or legalities surrounding propogation of gem avo trees?  Any ideas?  I would propogate some of these trees but don't want anyone kicking my door in at 3am or sending me a million dollar fine.  Seems like a lot of people are asking for it. 
Brad Spaugh

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 02:46:55 PM »

Ricshaw, whats the patent or legalities surrounding propogation of gem avo trees?  Any ideas?  I would propogate some of these trees but don't want anyone kicking my door in at 3am or sending me a million dollar fine.  Seems like a lot of people are asking for it.

I think it is a Patent variety. That depends, I am not an expert... Do you plan on selling trees labeled GEM?

BTW: Gray Martin DOES NOT own the patent. I think the University Of California and/or Brokaw does.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 02:49:42 PM by ricshaw »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 02:59:59 PM »

I think it is a Patent variety. That depends, I am not an expert... Do you plan on selling trees labeled GEM?

BTW: Gray Martin DOES NOT own the patent. I think the University Of California and/or Brokaw does.

I am not planning on anything.  Just curious how serious they are about people not selling these trees.
Brad Spaugh

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 03:14:33 PM »
To my knowledge it's under patent to University of California since early 2000's. I remember looking back in to this earlier this year. I'll see if I can find the patent information again.
-Kris

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 03:28:42 PM »
https://newsroom.ucr.edu/2635

I have a GEM tree from Brokaw Nursery and not impressed with the tree.  It produces good fruit, but tree is not as strong growing here (SLO County) as Hass, etc. Hass is still a wonderful producer as are Lamb Hass, Leaven's Hass, etc.  GEM, nice to add to a collection.

mmhendrie

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 06:34:22 PM »
thanks folks! I always pay more attention to what people say vs. the commercial hype, so my ears pricked up when you said you weren't impressed with how the GEM is growing. Also one area i'm struggling with is some of the info i find out of there to be contradictory - for example i've seen some places say a variety of a tree to be 15ft, and another to be 25ft - which in my situation makes all the difference.

Moving around on some of the other suggestions you made:

Holiday: I like the reported size of the tree (10-15ft) - but from what I've read the fruit is very different to a hass style avocado, which is my goal.

Hass: would be perfect, but the size concerns me - i need something i can keep relatively easily around the 15ft mark

Lamb Hass: I'd love if I could find more info on this variety - I think the problem I have with this one is size - I'm not sure how big it gets, and have read conflicting statements on it. Can anyone fill me in on how big these get?

What about a Gwen hass??

thanks so much!!
-Matt
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 06:57:03 PM by mmhendrie »

raiders36

• San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 01:22:54 AM »
Lamb hass is very prolific. I have a 3-4 ft tree for like 5 years in the ground with about 30-40 avocado. Majority of the avocado are touching the mulch. I was so impressed with the cultivar that I bought 4 more tree (3-15 gal, 1- 5 gal) this year. The heavy fruit set is preventing the tree from growing big.

mmhendrie

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 02:38:58 AM »
That sounds very promising - where so you get your lamb Hass from??

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 10:24:47 AM »
What about a Gwen hass??

thanks so much!!
-Matt

Brokaw's favorite FWIW.  GEM is a seedling from Gwen.  I had a Gwen, until a freeze did it in.  I have 3 vigorous shoots of GEM (thanks to the kind sharing of a member here) on a tree which was frozen back that is doing really well.   I found Gwen to be super lacking in vigor, fair in fruiting....basically a runt.  I'd put it in and try it although the group consensus seems to be  GEM is a better variety.  I've also got a lot of new grafts/shoots of Lamb Hass which are like on steroids.  One thing to point out, I don't know if this is true of most growers but the Lamb Hass fruit I got from a SoCal grower had a lot of multiple roots growing off the seed when I cut into it.  If you like eating roots, well........  ;D  I can only assume that this was caused by a very late hanging fruit.

Julie Frink when asked what tree she would choose out of all the typical SoCal ones said Holiday.  Again, no two growers' situations, skills, etc. will be alike. Try something and if it doesn't work kick it to the curb.

Can't rave enough about Reed.  Incredible fruit, great tree.  I'll keep it pruned down to 10', this after freezing back to nubs at the soil line this year.   It made an unreal comeback.  Just a gorgeous tree.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:26:58 AM by Mark in Texas »

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 03:03:16 PM »
List of UCR's Plant Patents
CITRUS   AVOCADO   ASPARAGUS   COWPEA   TURFGRASS   Grape Rootstocks
'KinnowLS'   'Steddom'   'DePaoli'   'CB 50'   'El Toro'   'RS-3'
'FairchildLS'   'Uzi'   'UC 115'   'No. 27'   'Victoria'   'RS-9'
'DaisySL'   'Zentmyer'   'F600'       'DeAnza'   
'Tango'   'Gem'   'M256'           
'TDE4'   'Lamb Hass'               
'TDE3'   'Harvest'               
'TDE2'   'Sir Prize'               
'Gold Nugget'   'Gwen'               
    'Esther'               
    'Whitesell'               

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 03:27:37 PM »
How many years left on GEM patent?

Greg A

• San Diego County, California
    • View Profile
    • The Yard Posts
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 12:01:58 AM »
Matt,
If your goal is a Hass-like avocado and you want to keep the tree to 15 feet, maybe you should just plant a Hass. I have a Hass that I keep to 15 feet, and it's easily done. I'm certain you can manage it.
gregalder.com/yardposts/

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 12:49:28 AM »
Matt,
If your goal is a Hass-like avocado and you want to keep the tree to 15 feet, maybe you should just plant a Hass. I have a Hass that I keep to 15 feet, and it's easily done. I'm certain you can manage it.

That would be too easy...
Brad Spaugh

mmhendrie

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 02:21:48 AM »
LOL - yes too easy! ok, i think you're right - i think a regular hass or a lamb hass it is! I assume buying from a nursery is better then a big box store? One nursery I called said they had an 8ft lamb hass for $199 that is already bearing fruit. My 'dream scenario' is to have something bearing fruit right away - is there a downside to getting one in this condition? Speaking as a complete novice, does it negatively impact growth/future production to plant one already producing?
thanks!
Matt

raiders36

• San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2018, 11:28:56 PM »
If you getting a lamb hass  tree for $199, I assume the tree is in a 15 gal or larger. The downside to it is the planting technique. Some people kill the without even knowing by yanking the tree out of the container. The tree gradually dying in a short period of time. Guess what? They want a refund blaming the nursery selling them a sick, disease tree. The following is my way:

1. Having good drainage is like winning half the battle
2. Dig hole; planting higher is always prefer
3. Position your tree next to the hole
4. Use a lopper to cut the bottom out (those bottom holes for drainage is a good guide)
5. Have a buddy to help lift and ease the container into the hole; do not drop.
6. Again use the lopper to cut horizontal down all the way from top to bottom
7. Remove container then back fill.
8. Of course what ever mix or amendment is up to you, but don't use cow manure.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2018, 08:55:51 AM »
Matt, home depot trees are fine.  They come from the same nursery as most of the other places selling avo trees.  Most likely lavern nursery.  Ive got several of their hass trees.

If you get a large tree they have a few issues.  They usually are staked up because they are weak from being in a nursery forever.  The roots are not in great shape after being in a pot for years.  And when you plant a tree that already has fruit on it the tree is going to put its energy into that instead of establishing good roots and solid branches.  You are much beter off starting with a 5gal tree that isnt staked up.  Look for one with a nice single main trunk that is standing on its own.
Brad Spaugh

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2018, 07:12:19 PM »
Yes, totally agree with brad. Get a smaller tree. It will outstrip the larger tree within a season or 2.

mmhendrie

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2018, 11:49:18 PM »
terrific - thanks so much folks - this is just the sort of thing I would have done wrong. Hugely appreciated. I plan on planting where i currently have grass and putting a short bark mulch perimeter around the trunk. The location gets sun consistently 8am-6pm, is that sufficient? In terms of water, it will be in the path of one or two sprinkler heads that is currently keeping the grass green. I think they're on either 2 or 3 times per week for 8 minutes each time, at around 1am. Anything sound like a red flag there? Do I need to water daily for a period of time after planting? I read about under watering and over watering, and its tough to figure out what's what as a beginner - are there any good rules of thumb when it comes to watering?