Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Marang Climate? Ecuador

(1/5) > >>

Jamesdeangelo:
I'm trying to grow marang at 850-900m in southeast Ecuador, pretty much right on the equator, has anyone had success with fruiting marang at this elevation? it's quite warm never frost as it is on the equator, it rains a lot also

fruitlovers:
Jim West's place in Ecuador is at 500-700 meter elevation and he grows marang there. You are a litlle bit higher, but having been at Jim's place where it was plenty tropical, i would say that marang would do well also at your elevation.

Jamesdeangelo:
yeah, it fruited at around 800m, getting close to 900m i'm confident it will fruit also, although I'm really looking to maximize production and only grow the fruits that will thrive

Finca La Isla:
You’ll just have to see.  In many cases when you grow lowland trees at higher elevations 800 meters is about where some start to not really thrive, but still produce.  Being so near the equator is an advantage.  I’ll be interested to hear how this goes.  Pejibaye, mangosteen, durian, cacao, are among many species that really want a lowland environment but get  pushed tp perform at a higher altitude.
Suerte, Peter

Jamesdeangelo:
yes, I suppose I will just have to try, I"m surprised that so few people have tried by now in this region or similar region. Pejibaye fruits abundantly here though, maybe that means the other fruits you mentioned also will

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version