Author Topic: What are the best options among the garcinia family?  (Read 1268 times)

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
What are the best options among the garcinia family?
« on: October 21, 2018, 01:15:10 AM »
What are some good garcinia options?

Do any of them handle some shade?

I am in zone 10a

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: What are the best options among the garcinia family?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 09:52:07 AM »
I am growing intermedia, humilis (achacha and achachairu), Luc's, mangostana, aristata, and hombriana. Seashore seems to grow the fastest of those I have. Achachairu and intermedia seem quite happy in ground as well. Luc's is in ground, but still very small and growing slow. Mangostana is doing quite well here, but would not recommend for your area unless in a greenhouse. They are all cool plants worth growing.

Mine all get partial shade, full sun only part of the day. Does not seem to be a problem, but then again, still no flowers. Could be the size and age of my trees, as the tallest is about 8 foot (seashore). Achachairu is about 5.5 feet and lemon drop about 6. Hoping they fruit soon.

Based upon the accounts of others, Luc's and achachairu are among the preferred varieties for flavor, in addition to g. mangostana.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 06:58:29 PM »
For your area, the best tasting ones would be achachairu and Luc's garcinia. Both will produce with some shade. One of the easiest ones is lemon drop mangosteen, but that one is quite small fruited and a bit tart.
Oscar

ajeshcool47

• India,Kerala,Ernakulam,Tropical
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ajeshthoppil.tr
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 02:30:58 AM »
in my knowledge , mangosteen, achachiru,Lucs ,Madrono,Bakupari,Garcenia Rusty and Russels sweet garcenia etc are said to be worth to grow..