Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Meiwa Kumquat x Flying dragon (poncirus trifoliata)

(1/8) > >>

911311:
gone

SoCal2warm:
Not very likely, at least not from a direct cross.

However you might take a look at this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Citrofortunella-x-TRICIMEQUAT-Cold-Hardy-Citrus-Tree-SEEDS-/382704720418?oid=362495154487

--- Quote ---Citrofortunella x Tricimequat

Up for bid are seeds of the Tricimequat.  This is a beautiful small cold hardy Citrus tree, that gets fragrant white flowers, and delicious sweet Kumquat like fruit (and Kumquat is in the parentage of this unique hybrid), and like all Kumquats, you eat the peel and all with these.  This unusual cross is a hybrid of the Procimequat (another Kumquat hybrid) crossed with Trifoliate Orange for additional hardiness, and amazingly there is no bad taste from the trifoliate.  I enjoy eating these just as much as my Meiwa Kumquats, but this tree is much more cold tolerant  It is a rounded upright grower, and this is evergreen.  They are hardy to at least USDA zone 7b, and quite possibly 7a.  These plants would make excellent additions to your rare plant collection, or just make a unique statement in your yard.

You are bidding on 5 seeds of Citrofortunella x Tricimequat.  greg17086
--- End quote ---
Apparently it's a (Hong Kong kumquat x (kumquat x lime)) x trifoliate hybrid.

Although the sale has now ended, I was able to goad the owner of One Green World into getting and trying to germinate them.

Maybe if this was further crossed with Ichangquat we might get something truly edible.

Oh, by the way, I recently got the opportunity to taste Meiwa and agree it's the tastiest kumquat I've gotten to taste so far.

911311:
gone

SoCal2warm:

--- Quote from: 911311 on January 02, 2019, 08:40:58 PM --- If I graft meiwa kumquat on flying dragon, how much the hardiness it would increase? If I plant it on the southside of my house to avoid cld wind, will it survive without protection in Atlanta?

--- End quote ---
Probably not much. Kumquat is already prone to enter into protective dormancy by itself, which is the whole point of FD rootstock.

Meiwa on FD would likely survive in Georgia in zone 8a, but I would be very surprised if it managed to survive in zone 7b.
If you did want to try it, I would definitely try planted up against a wall in a warm spot protected from wind, and maybe covered with a burlap sack and large plastic bag as well for some small degree of insulation from wind.

One woman tried to grow a small kumquat tree with minimal protection in zone 7b Atlanta but it did not survive. It was on rough lemon rootstock though.
https://www.houzz.com/discussions/1837793/kumquats-in-ground-in-north-georgia

911311:
gone

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version