Author Topic: Graft from a young tree  (Read 1697 times)

Reafs

• Guadeloupe, French Caribbean Island
    • View Profile
Graft from a young tree
« on: February 04, 2019, 09:56:18 AM »
Hello everyone,

If my scion is from a seed planted two years ago, and my rootstock is 3-4 years old, does that mean that when grafted it will give fruit much faster than the seedling tree I've planted 2 years ago? can I expect it to fruit quicker?

thank you
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 10:03:20 AM by Reafs »
Yohann

Reafs

• View Profile
Re: Graft from a young tree
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 10:28:19 AM »
a little bit of explanation:

I have seven cultivars of wax apple: small green (1-2 years seedling), small pink (air layered and fruiting), small red (air layered and fruiting), small white (air layered and fruiting), big rainbow a.k.a ชมพู่เพชรสายรุ้ง (air layered and fruiting), big red a.k.a Jambu air citra (air layered and fruiting), big white a.k.a Jambu madu deli (grafted and not fruiting).

As rootstock is a small red, I grafted on it 1 small white, 1 small pink, 1 big rainbow. I wanted to graft a small green on the rootstock, and wonder if the small green which as not fruit yet will put fruit quickly or will it take 5-6 years?

Yohann

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 02:21:02 PM »
The simple answer is no. The rootstock will not trigger flowering but will make the tree grow faster.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 09:21:07 AM »
Only if the root-stock is a large, already fruiting tree, is it likely to hormonally influence juvenile scions to flower sooner.  This is a standard technique with some fruit tree breeders.
Har

Reafs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 08:41:25 AM »
Only if the root-stock is a large, already fruiting tree, is it likely to hormonally influence juvenile scions to flower sooner.  This is a standard technique with some fruit tree breeders.

I thought so... it looks logical that if your rootstock is already fruiting.. the hormone should definitely help the flowering process. I did the graft, I guess that I will find an answer by myself.

Especially when you do it the other way... on citrus, scions coming from fruiting trees and put on 2 years trees rootstock gave me fruit after only 1 year.
Yohann

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 09:09:08 AM »
Are you saying that your root-stock, under your graft, fruited next year?  Because you left a branch of it free from grafting and not removed?  That is interesting.

If you are saying that your scion fruited the next year? --- that is extremely frequent.
Har

Reafs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 03:23:31 PM »
Are you saying that your root-stock, under your graft, fruited next year?  Because you left a branch of it free from grafting and not removed?  That is interesting.

If you are saying that your scion fruited the next year? --- that is extremely frequent.

I mean, the scion fruited. I have at least 10 small grafted citrus trees full of fruit now. Therefore,I know that a scion from a fruited tree will fruit quick when grafted even on a young rootstock. And what i needed to know was if a scion from a tree which has not yet fruited but grafted on a rootstock which had, will bear fruit quick.

Because if it works, it might want to take green and yellow alupag scions from non fruiting tree and graft them on one of my fruiting longan trees; or pulasan scions on my rambutan, in order to have fruit quicker.

ps: sorry for the confusion due to my non-native language, that is english
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:25:16 PM by Reafs »
Yohann

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 09:27:45 PM »
Sounds good, but of course it is an experiment.  Though this technique is known to work on some kinds of fruit trees, it has never been tried on most kinds.
Har