Author Topic: Is there such a thing as too much plant density?  (Read 1958 times)

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
Is there such a thing as too much plant density?
« on: February 06, 2019, 04:20:23 PM »
I want to keep layering in more and more types of trees and fruiting plants into my landscape, but space is getting really tight.

Is there such a thing as too tight? What, if any problems come about from this?

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Is there such a thing as too much plant density?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 04:30:51 PM »
2 things I experience: water costs and lack of sunlight.  I still plant.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 04:31:25 PM »
Yes there is a thing as too tightly planted. And most avid growers get to that point when they start running out of space. The main disadvantage is that shaded areas of trees will not fruit well, in many species. The other big disadvantage is that you have to do a lot of regular periodic pruning to keep trees from growing into one another. If you have a lot of time, ladders, good pruning equipment, then that is not such a big deal, and some people even enjoy it.
Oscar

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 05:47:19 PM »
You Californians can get away with much tighter space than we can here. Growth rate here is quite a bit faster. In 4 - 5 years, an unfertilized mango tree can go from 3 gallon size to touching branches on a 15 foot spacing.
Jeff  :-)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 06:01:07 PM »
I have some time before I get too tight but when I see someone plant 25 mango trees in a 30x30 ft area I can imagine they will soon be doing more pruning than picking. Yes, variety matters but at least some trees have a desired potential size and attempts to reduce that means competition. Once competition sets in the problem is exacerbated and trees begin reaching out faster and faster, getting leggy and losing the lower gowing limbs. That might be helped by pre-planning and you can always remove trees if you can bear it.

So, someone with limited space might consider expanding their horizon. With our aging population there are lots of elders who simply can't manage what they have and so someone with a real lust to plant should be able to expand if they are willing to accept land which they don't control forever.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 06:24:42 PM »
I ponder this often. Macro flora is something i try to create, it’s a biointensive farm system.  Most plants  work better planted in groups rather than when planted alone.  In a healthy natural system you have pools of excess nutrients, the soil is shaded and plants do not compete with each other for nutrients. The carbon above ground equates to carbon below ground and food for all Soil life.  Basically biodiversity is healthier than say a grass and mango monoculture.  The healthiest area of my farm is the most over planted.  Of course pruning to keep a balance is always an issue.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 06:49:19 PM »
Is there such a thing as too much plant density?
Yes, but usually the problem in hot/dry areas like San Diego is too little plant density.
All that plant density really helps raise humidity levels and protect vulnerable plants from baking in the blazing sun.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 06:53:28 PM »
I ponder this often. Macro flora is something i try to create, it’s a biointensive farm system.  Most plants  work better planted in groups rather than when planted alone.  In a healthy natural system you have pools of excess nutrients, the soil is shaded and plants do not compete with each other for nutrients. The carbon above ground equates to carbon below ground and food for all Soil life.  Basically biodiversity is healthier than say a grass and mango monoculture.  The healthiest area of my farm is the most over planted.  Of course pruning to keep a balance is always an issue.

Would you say spacing of 5'-6' between trees is too close? I am guilty of planting trees too close because of space availability.

Edit: I hope it's not going to be an issue in the future when the trees are grown. Trees are in ground since September/October, 2018 from 15 gallon pots.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 07:01:23 PM by hawkfish007 »

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 07:03:53 PM »
I fighting the same fight here in Florida, have plenty of room but want the perfect sun and want a very nice landscaping since I have only a 1/2 acre in a neighborhood. Everything needs to be astheticly pleasing as possible when it grows in. You have to decide what’s most important and you never want to be “that guy” if you live in a neighborhood with standards.
I side on the nice look as my trees are all surrounded with nice pavers, and space properly, but believe me I want to plant some bananas, papayas, and berry bushes in areas where I have room and even grapes in the shaded area. I haven’t yet because of where I live. I understand the struggle.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 07:09:02 PM »

Would you say spacing of 5'-6' between trees is too close? I am guilty of planting trees too close because of space availability.

Edit: I hope it's not going to be an issue in the future when the trees are grown. Trees are in ground since September/October, 2018 from 15 gallon pots.

Close spacing and heavy pruning to keep the size down is a standard practice in some orchard systems.  It will only become an issue if you allow it to be one.  Like Oscar said sunlight to the lower limbs is important for fruit production, so tightly packed and short trees unless your going for a layered look, with different species, growth habits and light requirements for fruiting.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 07:30:29 PM »

Close spacing and heavy pruning to keep the size down is a standard practice in some orchard systems.  It will only become an issue if you allow it to be one.  Like Oscar said sunlight to the lower limbs is important for fruit production, so tightly packed and short trees unless your going for a layered look, with different species, growth habits and light requirements for fruiting.

Very encouraging and promising. I am already equipped with a bypass pruner, hand saw, loppers, cordless chainsaw and pole saw for the future  ;D I just need a chipper if there is a decent electric one out there.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 09:40:42 PM »
I have some time before I get too tight but when I see someone plant 25 mango trees in a 30x30 ft area I can imagine they will soon be doing more pruning than picking. Yes, variety matters but at least some trees have a desired potential size and attempts to reduce that means competition. Once competition sets in the problem is exacerbated and trees begin reaching out faster and faster, getting leggy and losing the lower gowing limbs. That might be helped by pre-planning and you can always remove trees if you can bear it.

So, someone with limited space might consider expanding their horizon. With our aging population there are lots of elders who simply can't manage what they have and so someone with a real lust to plant should be able to expand if they are willing to accept land which they don't control forever.

Honolulu is ripe for this.  So far I've "borrowed" 5 yards.  Just "barato" what is grown and all good.  Though it takes some convincing people to grow the more rare stuff.  "What is this matisia?  Taste like mango or what?!"  Hahahaha

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 02:43:25 AM »
I think this depends on species and location. More tropical rain foresty trees will appreciate closer planting in dryer/hotter places. If you look at growers in Arizona for example, they can have good success growing tree very close to each other to help create shade and rise up humidity. However, I believe that some trees just doesn't like being shaded at all, so I'd allow more roam for those.
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk