Author Topic: Achachairu seeds  (Read 16069 times)

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Achachairu seeds
« on: February 06, 2013, 08:42:46 PM »
Can the folk who have emailed me regarding achachairu/achacha seeds please give me an email reminder. The season has started and I'm currently hoeing ino a 5kg box of them.

A

xunxun88

• taipei/taiwan
    • View Profile
Re: Achachairu seeds
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 09:42:28 PM »
Hi~Bruce

I want to buy  all your achacha seeds.

thanks~

xun

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 10:28:59 PM »
Bruce

I'll take one of you can spare it hahah

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 10:36:39 PM »
Bruce

I'll take one of you can spare it hahah

Ya same here lol
- David Antonio Garcia

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 05:45:45 AM »
Bruce they are not in the supermarkets here yet.I wonder if Rusty's will have them tomorrow.Things are hotting up on the fruit front.

Roy-Ind

• India,Andhra Pradesh,Vijayawada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 06:09:50 AM »
Hello Bruce
I want around 10 seeds.I sent you PM and email. If you want anything from India,please tell me.
Roy

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 09:55:20 AM »
I hope you'll remember my request, and everybody's else on this forum. We would all hate to see it going to one buyer :(

puzzle5112

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 11:33:28 AM »
I cant agree with u anymore :D

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 06:29:28 PM »
BMc the achachas are also in Cairns now and they are the best I have ever tried.They are sweet with thick flesh and some mangosteen and even banana taste in the ones I have had this morning.I don't have 5kg with the price still at $5/kg.

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 07:37:41 PM »
Mike, some of them are 'eyes roll to the back of your head' delicious. I'm also encountering less seeds than I had become accustomed to in previous years.
$5/kg?!?!?! gah, I'm paying well over $10/kg. Its okay, as I like the fruit enough. I guess I also have to pay ~$18/kg for rambutan, whereas you can swim in them in the street  :P Luckily they will come down in price as the season goes on ~$8/kg in supermarkets and lower at the markets if I can get myself to the other side of town. Also, in a few years I sould have them fruiting everywhere as even the ones I threw in the compost in previous years have popped up under otehr trees, in rain shaddows, etc...

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 09:14:11 PM »
BMc when is the season for achachairu in your area? 
In northeast Brasil, the season goes from January until June give and take.  One time, I tried very ripe fruits at the end of March, and they were absolutely delicious. 
I have a few achachairu trees growing in south Florida.  One is in the ground, and the others are in large pots.  Achachairu/achacha is a must have tree in a collection, just an opinion.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 10:52:11 PM »
Berto,

How long has the tree been in the ground?  Did it go through the cold winter we had a few years ago unprotected?  How big were they when they started fruiting?  I purchased two of these from Montoso in PR. They are about 16 inches tall now.
Brandon

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 11:05:28 PM »
I couldn't possibly eat another one but they are really good.My climate is warmer and wetter than what they prefer as they are really a subtropical species rather than a tropical.I suppose they like a similar climate profile to atemoya or lychee.The modest number of seeds i have are already spoken for.I hope there arenot too many seedless ones.

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 11:13:12 PM »
I dont think there are arny seedless, but the doubles that were prevalent in earlier seasons are far more scarce.

Season is December to March, but this season is very late, so Feb-April/early May could be expected. This is due to a cold snap in the growing region and if growing in an already cold region you would expect them to be that late or later.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 12:42:14 AM »
I couldn't possibly eat another one but they are really good.My climate is warmer and wetter than what they prefer as they are really a subtropical species rather than a tropical.I suppose they like a similar climate profile to atemoya or lychee.The modest number of seeds i have are already spoken for.I hope there arenot too many seedless ones.

This is a widely adapted species Mike, It grows in foothills of Andes but also in lowland jungle. So should fruit well at your place. Might be better in partial shade at your location. I think all the fruits have at least one seed.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 03:27:25 AM »

Oscar you may be right and people seem to be growing them over a wide range.They taste better than I remembered and nearly all have one seed only that seems well formed.The flesh is quite thick also.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 09:05:28 AM »
Brandon,
They grow slow the first couple years (juvenile stage).
My trees have not fruited yet.  The tallest one is approx. 6 feet tall.  According to a commercial producer in Brasil, they take at leat seven (7) years to fruit, in northeast Brasil.  The climate where the commercial plantation is located is very tropical. It is approx. 8 degrees south of the Equator.
In south Florida I will be happy if they fruit in ten (10) years. I still have a long time to go before any fruits.
Here are the fruits I ate in northeast Brasil.

BMc,
Thank you for the information. I guess that the season is a bit longer in northeast Brasil due to its warmer climate.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 09:45:11 AM »
Berto, thanks for the info.  I was hoping this species was like g intermedia or g prainiana.  I should have bought 4 trees instead of 2, double redundency.  10 years gives me a lot of opportunity to do something stupid that kills these plants. 
Brandon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 10:43:22 PM »
I have one tree also 6 ft. or over and still no fruits. I've heard the achachairu can fruit in 3-4 years, but mine is over 6 years old.
Berto, i'm surprised to hear that achachairu exists in NE Brazil? I know in S. Brazil there were very few trees and still at experimental stage when i visited in 2009. Are you sure those fruits in your photo are achachairu? The fruits i've seen and eaten were a lot less round and more elongated than yours.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 11:11:52 PM »
The ones you have Berto are also more spherical than my ones.I have heard of trees fruiting at 4 to 5 years old.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 11:16:29 PM »
Oscar,
Yes, I am absolutely positive, 100%!  I hand picked those fruits at the  commercial plantation in the northeast.  Some of the fruits looked like the ones in your photo and some of them were nice and round like the ones in my pictures.
All trees were originated in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, land of the achachairu. 

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 11:30:03 PM »
Mike,
I will not doubt anything when it comes to trees.  I get suprised all the time.  Trees are like people, some of them will bear fruits earlier and some of them will not bear fruits at all.
Example, you grow one tree and supply the tree with food, water, warmth, care, medicine, and so on.  On the other hand, you plant another tree and let if fend by itsef. You don't give it anything, nothing! The outcome will be different!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 11:44:24 PM »
Oscar,
Yes, I am absolutely positive, 100%!  I hand picked those fruits at the  commercial plantation in the northeast.  Some of the fruits looked like the ones in your photo and some of them were nice and round like the ones in my pictures.
All trees were originated in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, land of the achachairu.

Berto, when you say northeast, do you mean Bahia, or where exactly? Do you remember how big that commercial plantation of achachairu was? Are the achachairu fruits being sent to Rio?
Oscar

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 12:14:15 AM »
I have one tree also 6 ft. or over and still no fruits. I've heard the achachairu can fruit in 3-4 years, but mine is over 6 years old.
Berto, i'm surprised to hear that achachairu exists in NE Brazil? I know in S. Brazil there were very few trees and still at experimental stage when i visited in 2009. Are you sure those fruits in your photo are achachairu? The fruits i've seen and eaten were a lot less round and more elongated than yours.

Oscar, some are nice and round, while others are narrower. Berto must have selected the best looking ones from the crop for a better photo 😃

I'm sure they are bad for the teeth as gorging myself on them has made my mouth feel a bit funny...

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 11:27:22 AM »
Oscar,
The northeast goes from Maranhao state all the way to the state of Bahia.
"É a região brasileira que possui o maior número de estados (nove no total): Alagoas, Bahia, Ceará, Maranhão, Paraíba, Piauí, Pernambuco (incluindo o Distrito Estadual de Fernando de Noronha e o Arquipélago de São Pedro e São Paulo), Rio Grande do Norte (incluindo a Reserva Biológica Marinha do Atol das Rocas) e Sergipe."

The achachairu plantation was located near Recife, capital of Pernambuco.  At that time, the producer was supplying a main fruit distributor in Sao Paulo at the CEAGESP http://www.ceagesp.gov.br/english/.  I lost contact with the producer and I don't know if he is currently sending fruits to Rio de Janeiro. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 03:11:22 AM »
Berto, thanks for the info. I didn't realize this fruit is being grown commercially in Brazil.
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 07:36:40 PM »
Oscar,
You are welcome!
I heard that there is an achachairu  grower in the central part of the country (Goias) that is grafting achachairu into a native Brasilian garcinia/Rheedia with great success.  I have not been able to locate this grower, yet.  My understanding is that grafting garcinias/Rheedias is very tricky as far as long term survival of the grafted trees and  fruit production.
The grower in Recife told me that he preferred to grow them from seeds.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 10:11:35 PM by Berto »

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 08:32:06 PM »
Oscar,
You are welcome!
I heard that there is an achachairu  grower in the central part of the country (Goias) that is grafting achachiru into a native Brasilian garcinia/Rheedia with great success.  I have not been able to locate this grower, yet.  My understanding is that grafting garcinias/Rheedias is very tricky as far as long term survival of the grafted trees and  fruit production.
The grower in Recife told me that he preferred to grow them from seeds.

A grower here grafts them now and then. He noted that they are easy as long as you graft rheedias to rheedia and garcinia to garcinia. Other way has low take. They can take quite a long time to heal though...

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 11:02:12 PM »
Bmc and Oscar,
I found the outfit in Goias that grafts achachairu and reduce the fruiting time to three years.  Interesting, Goias is located in the "cerrado" region and the achachiru fruiting season there is shorter than the fruiting season in the Recife (northeast) area. 
http://floranogueira.com/portugues.php

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 01:37:00 AM »
Bmc and Oscar,
I found the outfit in Goias that grafts achachairu and reduce the fruiting time to three years.  Interesting, Goias is located in the "cerrado" region and the achachiru fruiting season there is shorter than the fruiting season in the Recife (northeast) area. 
http://floranogueira.com/portugues.php

Thanks Berto for the link. Do you know, do they graft achachairu onto itself or do they use a different species of Rheedia?
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 10:26:28 AM »
I have read that they use a garcinia/rheedia that is native to the cerrado area.  Apparently, there is a garcinia/rheedia that does not produce edible fruits in the cerrado that is being used as a rootstock.  The achachairu trees that they are selling on their website do not seem to be grafted. 
I will keep looking into this subject.

Jen

• always learning
    • Australia, Brisbane - sub-tropical zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 05:38:49 PM »
My last post got lost in the reset, so I'll repeat it. I am also happy to send limited amounts of achachairu seeds if people would like to contact me. sanitarium I still have your details so will be in touch.

puzzle5112

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 10:31:38 AM »
Does anyone still have AU achacha seeds? :D
I'd like to buy or trade! :P
Thanks a lot ;)

tingkun

• Taoyuan County,Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2013, 12:32:44 AM »

I want to buy achacha seeds.
 ;D
[/quote]

worldpeace

• taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2013, 11:10:56 AM »
hi~BMc

i need 200 seeds.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2013, 06:15:30 AM »

The season is nearly over and I have seen some big ones around that are double seeded.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2013, 08:25:43 AM »
Cultivator they are just the PBR ones and I presume some of their later fruiting trees have fruit a little larger.If you can get pictures of the Mossman ones it would be intersting to compare.Maybe they are another species or different form of the same species.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2014, 09:24:19 AM »
4 or 10 years before fruiting is a big difference. I would like to know which fertilizers the ones that fruited in 4-5 years got. And how much sun at what age.

I 'm getting very excited to grow achacha's and i think i will grow many tree's to keep for myself.

does it make a difference if the tree grows in acid soil or neutral soil before it will fruit? Any info is welcome. I only know that they like lots of micro-nutrients, organic soil and lots of water. Grow first years in partial shade and after some (2-3-4-?) years in full sun.

Oh i see, also this thread is on the sell & trade page, i thought on the main page, there is much info here though.

mwambao

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2014, 11:40:02 AM »
Would like to buy some seeds if they is somone selling please let me know the cost plus shipping

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
I would be interested in some too

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk